Start8 for Windows 8 goes final

DKT27

• Administrator

Stardock has released the first commercial version of its Start8 application for Windows 8, offering a free 30 day trial version of the Start screen alternative along with a full version for $4.99.

Posted Image

For the past several months, Stardock has been working on Start8 for Windows 8, which was designed to bring the familiar Start menu UI to the Windows 8 desktop interface. The company has released a number of free beta versions in the past several months but today, the company announced the final non-beta commercial version is now available to download and/or purchase.

Start8 will boot up a Windows 8 PC directly to the desktop UI, rather than the Modern interface. It also adds a version of the Start menu that has been available for previous versions of Windows to the Windows 8 desktop. In addition, it adds the ability to search for "Modern" Windows 8 apps, along with allowing users to pin and launch regular and Modern UI Windows 8 applications from the start menu.

The Windows 8 Start screen is also available for access from within the new Start8 menu, along with skinning options and a way to disable the desktop Windows 8 "hot spots". Users can go ahead and download a free 30 day trial version or get the full version now for $4.99.

Posted Image View: Original Article

• Replies 58
  • Views 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having used both Start8 and Pokki Start Menu i'd say that Pokki is far superior to Start8 for the customization aspect alone,plus the fact Pokki is free as opposed to stardock charging $4.99 for an inferior product imho.

Whooo this is a nice start menu. I agree with demoneye we need a patch within 30 days.

Found a guy on a torrent site that precracked an earlier version. So I sent a pm hoping he can precrack this final version. We should know pretty quick like.

Wow that's a hell of a lot of trouble just to register a start button.

Just inquisitive - You guys using Win 8 ? :think:

• Administrator

4 hurdles of Windows 8 for me:

• AMD Driver [solved]
  • Start Menu [solved] :rolleyes:
  • Post-release Reviews outside metro [awaiting]
  • Software compatibility [awaiting release]

The first half is already completed. Lets see how fast do I switch. :)

4 hurdles of Windows 8 for me:

• AMD Driver [solved]
  • Start Menu [solved] :rolleyes:
  • Post-release Reviews outside metro [awaiting]
  • Software compatibility [awaiting release]
The first half is already completed. Lets see how fast do I switch. :)

I have to add:

• Samsung Notebook Drivers (For FN Keys etc., touchpad, expresscache) - [unlikely to release for Win 8=no working brightness/volume control, no keyboard lights control, no expresscache]
  • Aero glass - [awaiting]
  • Logitech G15 1st Gen Drivers [unlikely to release=useless display]
Besides that, I already have a Win 8 Pro MSDNAA copy on my harddrive, but I still refuse to install it.

You know what.. I'm using Windows 8 Pro x64 for a few weeks now but I don't miss the Start Menu at all... when I need something I just go to Metro and there it is, if not I just start typing in what I want...

When you want more options by the way, go to your left corner below and click the right mouse button...

So.. who needs a Start Menu... I don't.. ^_^

This is intresting

Start Is Back - beta 1

http://www.msfn.org/...ost__p__1014489

There is still start menu code present in explorer.exe. Because it's shared with jump list code, it wasn't removed totally. Several shell interfaces were deprecated and removed alongside with some start menu code.

I reimplemented them (during Ex7forW8 development) and several parts of start menu, as well i had to reimplement start button, win key code and other things.

How hacky is this? Fortunately, a bit. It's not hackorama-all-over, just two private functions in explorer.exe i have to call. They're hardcoded in beta 0 so it works only with original RTM explorer.exe.

Future versions won't have them hardcoded so it will work with any explorer.exe version.

Q: Will Microsoft remove start menu code and break StartIsBack?

A: No, it's almost impossible since it's tied with jump list code and requires rearchitecting explorer.exe code, which they won't do until next Windows version.

That is very interesting. Original Start menu would be great. I would even consider to switch. But I would also like to see Aero back, and I didn't check compatibility for my devices. HP All in One Printer is pretty important for me, and who knows if it'll work. GPU should be fine. The rest is unsure, like LAN, Audio, etc.

Cheers ;)

• Administrator

I'm trying hard, but there's no way to check if your softwares/hardware is compatible, the only way is, upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and check the comparability by installer's build-in checker.

I installed my Windows 8 Pro as my OS and all devices are recognised, my EPSON printer, my Logitech G9 mouse and G15 logitech Keyboard and all the rest.. W8 the same as Windows 7, only faster and tweaked to give a beter performance for users.. ^_^

I installed my Windows 8 Pro as my OS and all devices are recognised, my EPSON printer, my Logitech G9 mouse and G15 logitech Keyboard and all the rest.. W8 the same as Windows 7, only faster and tweaked to give a beter performance for users.. ^_^

Ditto that

You know what.. I'm using Windows 8 Pro x64 for a few weeks now but I don't miss the Start Menu at all... when I need something I just go to Metro and there it is, if not I just start typing in what I want...

When you want more options by the way, go to your left corner below and click the right mouse button...

So.. who needs a Start Menu... I don't.. ^_^

I agree, although having the option to boot directly to the desktop would be great

• Administrator

You guys love Windows 8 and Metro don't you? What if I tell you that next version of Windows, Windows 9, will have no desktop whatsoever? Yes, there's a strong chance M$ will switch to Metro full on, Desktop is given to us like a rich guy throws cents at a beggar. And why will this happen? Because of the Windows 8 adapters.

Even if we use it, in general, the OS has to fail, and if the forward looking geeks use it, the Start8 download counter has to go high, because it's going to decide the final future of desktop computers. If not stopped, in a bid to become like Apple, MS will kill the root of computing.

Archived