Amanda Todd: Bullied Teen Commits Suicide

SnakeMasteR

A Vancouver-area teen who used YouTube to share her heart-wrenching story of being bullied online and beaten at

school has killed herself, unleashing a torrent of social media condolences and soul-searching.

Amanda Todd was found dead in Coquitlam on Wednesday night, less than a month before her 16th birthday.

News of her torment and death are being shared on social media through Tumblr, Facebook and Twitter, where

#RIPAmanda is trending.

"I'm saddened to see that this was the only [way] this young girl could escape such torment. May she rest in peace,"

posted one woman on Facebook.

Last month, Todd posted a nine-minute video on Youtube featuring her holding up cue cards that chronicled the

cyber-bullying and cruelty she suffered, despite changing schools and cities.

In the video, the teen reveals she started doing webcam chats with her friends to meet new people when she was in

Grade 7. One day, she agreed to flash someone on a whim.

A year later, a male contacted her on Facebook threatening to circulate an explicit photo if she didn't "put on a show."

Todd says the male knew her address, school and names of her family and friends. A few months later, police arrived

to tell her that the explicit photo was sent to "everyone."

That sent Todd into panic attacks, anxiety and depression. She changed schools and experimented with drugs and

alcohol.

One year later, she says the male created a Facebook page and featured the explicit photo of her. "Cried every night,

lost all my friends and respect," reads one index card Todd holds in the video. She says she started cutting herself.

Todd moved schools again and things were improving – until she began texting with a former male friend. Their

relationship culminates in a schoolyard fight where Todd is punched several times by the boy's girlfriend.

Todd reveals she tried to kill herself by drinking bleach and overdosing on anti-depressants after the torment

continued on Facebook despite her changing schools and cities again.

The description that Todd posted with her YouTube video is haunting:

I'm struggling to stay in this world, because everything just touches me so deeply. I'm not doing this for attention.

I'm doing this to be an inspiration and to show that I can be strong. I did things to myself to make pain go away,

because I'd rather hurt myself then someone else. Haters are haters but please don't hate, although im sure I'll get

them. I hope I can show you guys that everyone has a story, and everyones future will be bright one day, you just

gotta pull through. I'm still here aren't I?

The Vancouver Sun reports that Todd went to school in Maple Ridge and then Coquitlam.

RCMP in Maple Ridge told CKNW their school liaison officer had previously directed Todd to support services.

Coquitlam RCMP said they were called to a Port Coquitlam home on Wednesday evening for the "sudden death of

a teenager." The death is not considered suspicious, said police, adding that the family does not want to speak

publicly.

B.C. Premier Christy Clark posted a short YouTube video in response to Todd's death on Thursday, stating that no

one deserves to be bullied, and all kids should feel safe in school.

Last month, Todd also posted a presentation on how to deal with online bullying on Prezi, where she urged people

to stand up to bullies.

Original Article

• Replies 18
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

RIP. :(

However, this guy has an argument:

Posted Image

I think it's weird how she was stalked by someone and it's sad how poorly people treated her, but it was stupid to expose herself like that.

Posted Image

good job!

i pressed on the "Like" button on the news page of her suicide, does that mean i condone her actions? LOL. nway looks like it's getting back to be a trend or cool shit to do, so expect more idiots and epic fails soon. whatever happened to planking? <-- she should've picked up a hobby.

lol, If you google image her name look what comes up :rolleyes:

Make sure search filter is off :P

Posted Image

lol and i assume internet scums are looking for that flash photo of hers!

Posted Image

His argument in valid

• 2 weeks later...

@grim -- NSFW

not allowed according to forum rules . ;)

what ever the guy in the facebook comment said is 110 % accurate in putting forth the summary . wanted to say something same . but very well put forth by .

such type of dumbs deserve what they eventually get or eventually make a conscience choice to get that ! -_-

Oh dear! :(

I do feel sympathetic but however, on the other hand,,not even gonna lie but why would someone expose themselves especially on webcams?? ...extremely stupid if you ask me.

I hope those who bullied her to death are really proud of what they did. I know that I wouldn't be able to live with myself If I was responsible for someone's death. About the argument, I say that her parents are more responsible for what happened to their daughter. She was a teen and giving her complete responsibility is just not right. If a toddler gets hurt by playing with dangerous objects out of ignorance, I don't think it would make any sense in blaming the child. Though she was a teen, people have different lives and she didn't have much experience about life and it was her parents duty to help her through all this. She changed school, her parents obviously knew something was wrong, they should've taken away her phones, laptop to keep her away from all the bullying. Parents can't regulate every aspect of their children's lives, but at least they could do things, go out and meet people and make her realize that there are people who actually care. This tragedy could have been prevented, had her parents acted in an appropriate manner. In the end, she's gone from this world, and I don't see anything wrong with having a facebook page dedicated to her. And I don't see why should anyone talk bad about her actions, she's dead have some respect. That's exactly what's wrong with the world, talking shit about people even when they're dead. She had a troubled life, may she be at peace.

"She made a conscious decision to kill herself" - I respectfully disagree :)

I hope those who bullied her to death are really proud of what they did. I know that I wouldn't be able to live with myself If I was responsible for someone's death. About the argument, I say that her parents are more responsible for what happened to their daughter. She was a teen and giving her complete responsiblity is just not right. If a toddler burns plays with dangerous objects out of ignorance, I don't think it would make any sense in blaming the child. Though she was a teen, people have different lives and she didn't have much experience about life and it was her parents duty to help her through all this. She changed school, her parents obviously knew something was wrong, they should've taken away her phones, laptop to keep her away from all the bullying. Parents can't regulate every aspect of their children's lives, but at least they could do things, go out and meet people and make her realize that there are people who actually care. This tragedy could have been prevented, had her parents acted in an appropriate manner. In the end, she's gone from this world, and I don't see anything wrong with having a facebook page dedicated to her. And I don't see why should anyone talk bad about her actions, she's dead have some respect. That's exactly what's wrong with the world, talking shit about people even when they're dead. She had a troubled life, may she be at peace.

"She made a conscious decision to kill herself" - I respectfully disagree :)

I can tell you that I have been a victim of cyberbullying. Why should she be punished by having her laptop and phone being taken away?

It made me feel better just to discuss with my mother; confiscating would just make the situation worse imho - think about it

I got extremely sad when I heard that another suicide because of (cyber-)bullying. :(

Although I do not agree 100% with a man who commented on that page, I agree with some parts, that we should not take others speeches such important.

But the thing is that the girl herself was not completely responsible for this thing.

Parents play a vital role in teenager's life, especially in that age, first of all, publishing her nude photos over internet with who she does not know anything about him is a very wrong decision and I see her parents responsible for this, because it's the parent's duty to inform the child and tell her these things, there are much more safer ways to find and meet new people.

Second, after publishing her photos, again it was the parents' job to solve the issue, help the child mentally by going to proper doctor, tell the police or anything else and investigate the situation and try to find that person and many more things they could do for her little child.

Amanda was a child and in that age, she could not decide correctly for herself, what about taking her own life! :o

Although, in my opinion, parents should be blamed; the guy who did all this to her is also very responsible, with what he done in these years, I can find that he suffers from many mental disorders, he is really a mental patient, doing such these things are not normal and it is very clear that he has many mental problems that he does such these things.

Anyway, I do not think that herself is responsible for her death, she was only a child and I see her parents that caused all these things to happen, they should take the situation much more serious.

I hope the police and other authorities find that guy and bring him to justice.

All in all, I hope she rests in peace and her soul reach calmness, may the maker help her. -_-

I can tell you that I have been a victim of cyberbullying. Why should she be punished by having her laptop and phone being taken away?

It made me feel better just to discuss with my mother; confiscating would just make the situation worse imho - think about it

To protect her from all the bullies. It may seem like a punishment, that's the reason I mentioned that the parents should spend quality time and go out with her and let her know that there are real people who care unlike the cyber bullies. Other option would be to implement a parental control on her laptop and protect her from bullies.

I got extremely sad when I heard that another suicide because of (cyber-)bullying. :(

Although I do not agree 100% with a man who commented on that page, I agree with some parts, that we should not take others speeches such important.

But the thing is that the girl herself was not completely responsible for this thing.

Parents play a vital role in teenager's life, especially in that age, first of all, publishing her nude photos over internet with who she does not know anything about him is a very wrong decision and I see her parents responsible for this, because it's the parent's duty to inform the child and tell her these things, there are much more safer ways to find and meet new people.

Second, after publishing her photos, again it was the parents' job to solve the issue, help the child mentally by going to proper doctor, tell the police or anything else and investigate the situation and try to find that person and many more things they could do for her little child.

Amanda was a child and in that age, she could not decide correctly for herself, what about taking her own life! :o

Although, in my opinion, parents should be blamed; the guy who did all this to her is also very responsible, with what he done in these years, I can find that he suffers from many mental disorders, he is really a mental patient, doing such these things are not normal and it is very clear that he has many mental problems that he does such these things.

Anyway, I do not think that herself is responsible for her death, she was only a child and I see her parents that caused all these things to happen, they should take the situation much more serious.

I hope the police and other authorities find that guy and bring him to justice.

All in all, I hope she rests in peace and her soul reach calmness, may the maker help her. -_-

I'm not sure why her parents did not take any necessary actions for their own daughter, and I can't imagine what they're going through and all the guilt they're feeling. The school is also part responsible for not reprimanding the bullies. And I agree with the Facebook page, it give people who're victims of bullying courage that there lots of people who care and those who bully are few and don't matter. Further, by making the page they are humanizing the victim which I believe is a noble thing to do.

To protect her from all the bullies. It may seem like a punishment, that's the reason I mentioned that the parents should spend quality time and go out with her and let her know that there are real people who care unlike the cyber bullies. Other option would be to implement a parental control on her laptop and protect her from bullies.

I disagree... Children these days would probably feel isolated and different froom the others. Maybe she should be allowed to keep her devices but her parents should take her out to get her mind off things...? She may feel less confident about telling her parents and keep it secret next time imho.

I however believe she definitely needs treatment.

Archived