DDR4 specification finalized

DKT27

• Administrator

Posted Image

The final specification of DDR4 DRAM, which will help PCs run faster through more power-efficient data transfers, was published Tuesday.

DDR4 memory shuffles data faster than DDR3 memory, which is in most new computers available today. The new memory type implements a new process to read, write and refresh data more efficiently, and the improved throughput boosts application performance by transferring information to storage and memory faster.

The new memory type will be used in servers, PCs and mobile devices. The specification was finalized by the JEDEC Solid State Technology Association, which has led DRAM development for decades.

Top DRAM makers like Samsung, Micron and Nanya have already started shipping test units of the memory. Integrated Device Technology two weeks ago announced it was shipping test units of DDR4 memory with error correction features, which typically go into servers.

The proposed transfer speed of DDR4 is expected to top off at 3.2 gigatransfers per second, while JEDEC has said that DDR3 exceeded its expected maximum speed of 1.6 gigatransfers per second. DDR4 DRAM will consume 1.2 volts, compared to 1.5 volts for DDR3. The memory bus speed will start at 2133MHz, which is a boost from the average bus speed of 1333MHz and 1666MHz for DDR3.

Posted Image

DRAM prices have dropped, so memory manufacturers are trying to speed up the adoption of DDR4, said Gregory Wong, an analyst at memory research firm Forward Insights.

"The DRAM market is oversupplied because the PC market isn't that strong. The tablets and smartphones are doing well, but instead of 4GB of DRAM, they need only 1GB of RAM. That's the fundamental issue."

The jury is still out on when DDR4 DRAM will end up in computers, but it could be as early as next year. The memory makers are pushing chip makers like Intel to bring chipset support for DDR4 quickly, Wong said.

"Intel's always improving CPU performance, DDR4 is a way to push that," Wong said.

DDR4 may reach PCs first, but it could take a while to reach mobile devices, Wong said. Smartphones and tablets are widely using low-power DDR2 memory, and some gaming tablets such as like Lenovo's Ideatab K2 have low-power DDR3 DRAM.

The DDR4 specifications have been published on JEDEC's website.

Posted Image View: Original Article

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

isnt ddr5 faster? its on the graphics cards. or is this two different things

• Administrator

That's different. On graphics cards, you have GDDR5, which is comparable to normal DDR3 RAMs.

Normal DDR5 has never been made yet. All the current motherboards are on DDR3. :)

thankyou dtk27. they all should use like terms

That's different. On graphics cards, you have GDDR5, which is comparable to normal DDR3 RAMs.

Normal DDR5 has never been made yet. All the current motherboards are on DDR3. :)

yes and i've really noticed changed in speed when i upgraded by board and changed to ddr3 with same processor software would open quicker,from what i read ddr4 is gona be awesome :)

• Administrator

yes and i've really noticed changed in speed when i upgraded by board and changed to ddr3 with same processor software would open quicker,from what i read ddr4 is gona be awesome :)

Indeed.

Put it on dual channel and the speed will increase more by 33%. :o

What I am worried about is, as per Intel. RAM's speed cannot be more than half of CPU.

So, if a CPU is 2.66GHz, the RAM cannot be more than 1333MHz. And if a CPU is 3.2GHz, RAM cannot be more than 1600MHz. And if a CPU is 2.132Ghz, the RAM speed cannot be more than 1066MHz. New DDR4 RAMs will be start from 2133MHz and probably go till 3000MHz. Which means, CPUs will need to clock at 6GHz. :huh:

I think you got something wrong there. I have my DDR3 @ 1600 which is stock speed for my RAM. My motherboard supports this speed as overclock. Before, it was 1333, test were done in AIDA64, after that, I increased to 1600 and did new test, speed was a lot higher.

Cheers ;)

• Administrator

I think you got something wrong there. I have my DDR3 @ 1600 which is stock speed for my RAM. My motherboard supports this speed as overclock. Before, it was 1333, test were done in AIDA64, after that, I increased to 1600 and did new test, speed was a lot higher.

Cheers ;)

Oh. So it's a motherboard limit and not CPU limit.

This part about my Asus MOBO manual confuses me:

Posted Image

@DKT27:

That section means you have to set the DRAM timings manually.

This is actually preferable if you want to maintain stability while overclocking.

• Administrator

@DKT27:

That section means you have to set the DRAM timings manually.

This is actually preferable if you want to maintain stability while overclocking.

Yea I agree. But is the CPU limit there by default without over-clocking or manually setting the timings? I'm OK with current one, but will the future CPUs still have this limit? That's what I'm concerned about.

• Administrator

Can I insert a DDR4 ram to a DDR3 ram slot? :D

Of course. Infact, it is rumoured that DDR4 is fully backwards compatible too, means, you can insert a DDR1, 64MB RAM into the DDR4 slot too. :P

Nah. :rolleyes:

Can I insert a DDR4 ram to a DDR3 ram slot? :D

cough why? you do know ddr4 ram will cost you your sisters legs and your arms? when they come out ddr3 ram will drop in price.

... you do know ddr4 ram will cost you your sisters legs and your arms? when they come out ddr3 ram will drop in price.

No they won't. In fact with time, DDR3 prices will go up with lack of production and availability. Look around you. Check out the prices on Newegg, Tigerdirect or Amazon. You'll see that on a per GB basis, DDR3 costs less than DDR2 which in turn costs less than DDR. A 2GB 400Mhz DDR module will cost you roughly the same as a 4GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 module (~$50 odd) ;)

OHhh. Then I should buy a new mobo then :(.

No. You'll need an entirely new set-up. New processor, mobo and all that jazz ;)

Technically speaking, some CPU's may work with the DDR4 standard with a compatible board after a firmware upgrade, but there's no saying whether the chipmakers will support that or whether the motherboard manufacturers will bring out DDR4 LGA 1155/1156/1366/AM3+ boards any time soon ;) (After all, you do have LGA 775 boards with DDR3 slots these days)

And even if they do, it'll not be on their list of priorities. They'd much rather concentrate on the new Haswell socket (LGA 1150 for desktops) and the new NB chipsets that AMD may come out with for their Piledriver and subsequent Steamroller :yes: (Hopefully with a better PCI-E controller design & HyperTransport specification than BD :angry: )

AMD will certainly not stick with 890FX for SR even if they stick with AM3+, so the new chipset (or socket) will in all probability (IMO) support DDR4 :D

Intel's forthcoming Haswell is something that you'll need to look at if you seriously consider upgrading next year :)

• Administrator

Agree with calguyhunk.

DDR3 prices will rise as soon as DDR4 releases or PC makers starts using it. Infact, I say, if you want one or more DDR3 stick(s), get it under 6 months or so, or you'll regret.

General question, why DDR4 won't work on DDR3 motherboards? Because, one, you need a CPU and motherboard specifically made for it. It isn't only about slot size/shape, we are talking about different voltage, different speed, different bandwidth here. I don't think any current CPU can ever handle a DDR4 stick.

@calguyhunk: It seems you do keep yourself updated with things. :D

@calguyhunk: It seems you do keep yourself updated with things. :D

LOL! Yeah, I try :yes: I mean look at my Profile info. It says - "Interests - Tech, Automobiles, Sports" :P

P.S. - I'd have added "Women" to the list, but unlike the other three, I know absolutely nothing about that mysterious category of individuals :hehe:

Archived