Least Ram usage programs

vin3e

Hellooooo,

I have crap ram (192mb) and i wanted to know which FREE programs uses the least amount of ram.

I need:

AV (AntiVir)

Firewall (ZA Free edition)

Browser (FF)

Defragger (O&O Pro)

Many thanks =]

BTW: Why is my custom name "Unlucky" ... ;)

• Replies 27
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Memory usage isn't everything. Over things such as system drag and CPU usage must be taken into accout too. Usability and features are also highly important.

However, heres the list:

Anti-virus, i would prolly have to say Avast uses the least memory.

Firewall, least memory, free, would be prolly Look N Stop Lite, however, this has no outbound application control, so isnt the ideal choice for those without knowledge into creating packet filtering rules. Easy to use one, with decent security, maybe kerio. I can't think atm.

Browser, definatly not firefox. Prolly IE uses least memory. Maybe Opera and KMeleon would use less memory.

Defgragger - Stick to the windows one.

Avast o_O" and there was me believing AntiVir was good. I'll give it a try. Basically i play warcraft 3 custom games, more commonly/uncommonly unknown as DotA. Basically i cant play this game twice in a row, unless i restart the whole game -.-

I thought it might be my ram acting up after every game so thats why im asking, to have 2 successful games without restarting ;)

As for the firewall, never heard of it and having to do anything more than setting the security to high is beyond my experience. Ive tried kerio, its so confusing, so i switched back to ZA.

I dont mind using Opera, its just im gona miss my extensions, such as the ever useful flashgot and greasemonkey.

Any alternatives to those plugins i can download for the Opera browser?

@ Snake: Any input from you would be nice, so post back damn you ;)

EDIT: o cool, im back to being a noob instead of being unlucky.

Hellooooo,

I have crap ram (192mb) and i wanted to know which FREE programs uses the least amount of ram.

I need:

AV (AntiVir)

Firewall (ZA Free edition)

Browser (FF)

Defragger (O&O Pro)

Many thanks =]

BTW: Why is my custom name "Unlucky" ...  ;)

name base on your post number. it was "13" now its "14"

Just get avast. I dont think there are any extensions for Opera, but its a good browser. Kerio is almost the same as ZA, so i dont know why you would be confused.

• Administrator

Theres ways of adding all these feeatures to Opera, but its hard to do. You should visit: http://my.opera.com/community/customize/ try one of the alternate menu setups - much more feature rich.

Theres things like an equivilent of Adblock out too - just google for them.

Of course opera is much more feature rich than firefox out of the box.

Theres not much difference in memory usage between anti-vir and avast, i just remember the latest version of Avast using less memory. I could be wrong. Also with avast! you can choose what componants to install, so you only have to install what YOU want.

Oh yeh, about the firewall, i forget Kerio is to be discountued, its still a good easy to use firewall however. If you like ZA, stick to it :(

Very helpful guys :3

I've switched to Avast and ZA, those two being the easiest to use. As for Opera, I'll wait till some dedicated fans actually release some good plugins instead of the basics such as shockwave player :(

Thanks for help :3

picky guy... :(

• Administrator

What features do you actually miss from Firefox extensions? Opera has many features which firefox + exentions don't have.

@ Samuel: B)

@ Lite: I miss all my neat extensions, like foxy tunes, adblock, tweak network, disable targets for downloads for those type that rid the web of its annoyances.

The first time i used it, i got a popup .... not impressed :blink: and the general feel of the browser, its jus ..... needs some time getting use to.... one thing thats weird to me is, the tabs being above the address bar :blink: very weird. THERES NO HOME BUTTON! well not that i saw anyway, a rewind, back, forward, fast forward, refresh and a pen button.

And then theres the bookmarks... press the left side for a tool bar, press the bookmarks tab, proceed to click a bookmark, that already takes up half the screen :P

Also im using FDM with the Flashgot extension, that is god.

Sigh....

• Administrator

Theres an adblock equivilent for Opera.

"Tweak Network" already available out of the box.

What does "disable target for downloads" do?

The pop-up blocker of opera is currently more effective than the one in firefox AFAIK.

Opera's GUI is much quicker than firefox. Thats a fact.

Bookmarks can be positioned to be put anywhere....

Download managers usually have an option to intercept downloads from browsers. Anywho, Opera's download manager is far superior to firefox's. What exactly do you use your DL manager for?

But if you don't like it.... don't use it! Simple :blink:

• Administrator

But we are after a free one StyleWarz.

Dr.Web/ F-Prot would come into place if we where after a paid solution :blink:

@Lite....i was having trouble installing javascripts and user one. visited once the link (Opera community), found the installation note but still it's torturing...n00b in this part. Oh i was testing the opera adblock....comments come up later.

@ Lite: Disable targets for downloads stops blank windows from opening when you clink on certain links =]

I guess when i get home i'll give it yet another try. :sneaky:

But we are after a free one StyleWarz.

Dr.Web/ F-Prot would come into place if we where after a paid solution :sneaky:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's true, but the advantage of F-Prot over AntiVir is worth much more then the 23 euro's a year. But ok, sorry I should have read better... ^_^

lol, Im using Opera now, and im pretty impressed with the speed, though it takes getting to use, with all the different shortcuts and what not. So far so good, the only thing getting on my nerves is the javascript on the nsane.tk page, when multiple words become links.

Turn it off for that, and then when i want to reply i have to turn it back on ... hmmm.

AFAIK this is indeed a very nice and fast browser =], just need to find more plugins etc.

UPDATE: well generally i see a miniscule increase in speed, however loading images is a bummer because it does seem to slow the opera browser down. GIFs are not played at correct speed, but slower.

Is there any plugins anyone knows of that can disable blanks windows from opening, making opera faster, and how to change the way it renders the images? because once again, its damn slow.

• Administrator

Opera is offically the worlds fastest web browser. No if's or Buts about it. You can fiddle with the amount of connections and memory cache and page update checking to make it EVEN MORE faster (memory cache can make a signicant difference on computers with slow HDDs and an increase in the amount of connections)

Opera renders images last to save on CPU usage.

Ah, im sticking with what i had before :think:

If it aint broken im not going to try fix it.

could be worst. work on the neighbor kids computer. it was a hand-me-down. install some adware and spyware from nsane. remove 353 from adware alone, and 15 from search and destory leaving spysweeper to get the 33 others. totally lines about 2000 lines removed. main problem its a P2 400 hz with 128 sdram 40 gb harddrive running windows xp sp2 :sneaky: but it is running faster now.

also notice at start up i could choice windows xp or windows me. didnt even mess with the me part.

i told him and his mother that another 128 ram might help somewhat.

oh did the topic poster even say what his chip and os was? could help to defrag too

Archived