Gmail doubles storage to 2GB

D0GG

Internet search engine company, Google Inc, is doubling the amount of storage offered on its e-mail service and plans to remove limits on message capacity as it competes for users with Yahoo Inc. reports New York Times.

Google' Gmail service celebrating its first year will now offer 2GB of email storage. The Search Giant also announced plans for continued increase of e-mail storage in the next few weeks.

The announcement comes one year after Google introduced the service, prompting rivals Yahoo and Microsoft to boost the capacity of their own free Web mail services.

"It gives Google yet another one-up over the competitors," said Danny Sullivan, the editor of SearchEngineWatch.com, a JupiterMedia Corporation Web site that tracks the industry. "The more you've got stored on Google, the less likely you are to go anywhere else."

Internet Giant Yahoo recently announced plans to match Google's 1GB email box with a 1GB mail box. Karen Mahon, a Yahoo spokeswoman, said, "For many e-mail users, anything beyond one gigabyte is just a number."

Google' Gmail is still in beta stage. you can visit http://gmail.google.com for more information -- to gain access to the service you need an invite from a friend. It is rumored the service will be available on a full scale sometime this month.

Source:

http://ployer.com/archives/2005/04/google_gmail_ex.php

• Replies 22
  • Views 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Actually there isnt a limit.... the storage will continue to rise to inifinty + 1 :lol:

Guest Blank Space

"You are currently using 7 MB (0%) of your 2054 MB."

I'm pathetic. I've actually have most of the boards I go to set to subscribe me to topics automatically just to fill up my Gmail box. :lol:

SacredCultivator

Hahha wow.. and I thought 1 GB was a lot... 2GB... Damn lol am at 0% also... Oh well lol it is just nice to express I have 2GB of Email Storage how about you? lol

• Administrator

Using 10% of my inbox.... was like 50% the other day before i deleted some things.

LemonHead2089

i can't sign onto my account. :lol: anyone else having issues?

LemonHead2089

yeah it works now here to. i remove some google cookies and it started working again

two gigs?? Damn, how the hell are people going to fill that shit up. Lol, i guess thats just it. Most* people wont even use the first gig. But still, I wonder if I sign up for all those spams how long it would take. After all, its just text which is very little space...

well, i'm using my gmail account for the forum backups, which i bet will pile up quickly. but, like you said, i'm not the 'average user' :lol:

YOU CAN HAVE 2GB ACCOUNTS WITH YAHOO OR HOTMAIL... THAT IS IF YOU WANT TO PAY ALMOST $20 A YEAR (per account!). Google is always gona be ahead of the game. Plus, "@gmail.com" is so much cooler than "@yahoo.com" or "hotmail.com".

------Yahoo and Hotmails 2GB plans-----

Yahoo Mail Plus offers personalized spam protection, a virtually unlimited 2GB of storage, POP access, and more for only $19.99/year.

MSN Hotmail Plus

The MSN® Hotmail® Plus yearly subscription of $19.95 plus tax includes 2 gigabytes of total MSN Hotmail account space, the ability to send larger attachments, no graphical ads, access to the MSN Hotmail mailbox via Microsoft® Office Outlook® or Outlook Express, exemption from the account expiration policy and 30MB of MSN Groups storage.

Guest skaterguy452288

google is unstoppable. They are such a smart company, and a free 2gb e-mail account is just awsome. Personally I find no need for that much space, but it absolutely couldn't hurt. I think google just did it to end competition.

• Administrator

Its just for PR they make the inboxes so big....

They KNOW only a handful of people will actually use more than lets day 100mb.... the servers then ONLY provision for this. They would be bankrupt if everyone used there 2gb storage - it just aint gonna happen (well soon that is....)

@nsane.... your forum db will be very small (atlest for the moment)

Guest Blank Space
G is for growth

Storage is an important part of email, but that doesn't mean you should have to worry about it. To celebrate our one-year birthday, we're giving everyone one more gigabyte. But why stop the party there? Our plan is to continue growing your storage beyond 2GBs by giving you more space as we are able. We know that email will only become more important in people's lives, and we want Gmail to keep up with our users and their needs. From Gmail, you can expect more.

More than 2GB? They might as well give us a free hard drive. :(

• Administrator

People dont read :(

I said the storage will continue to rise to Inifinity + 1 :(

yeah, google is increasing their storage. If ya look at the main page u see their counter going up in email size. Its like in 6 hours, u get another MB. :(

edit: Lol, typo which totally screwed up everything :(

• 2 months later...

It seems every1 has got a invite for Gmail...xecept me :lol:

I have an account which I rarely check...

I have 1 Gb on yahoo I think... and using 0% as well like a lot of us here...

I think we will be only be able to realize the full capability once we get a very fast internet connection and are allowed to send huge files to our emails...like in Gdrive

SacredCultivator

I still have all 50 Invites, never given any out since everyone has one now. But heh 2 GB that is a LOT!!!! I barely take any room even with all that spam!

Archived