XFX 8600 GT Heat Issues

sumant30

Guys i have a XFX 8600 GT 512 MB graphics card but lately it has its temperature going through the roof like the normal temperature is 59C but while gaming it goes to about 91C and then operates in the space of 88-91C also i have 2 case fans to keep airflow good in my case. The fan sucking in cool air is directly above my card.Also i read in many forums that 8600 GT is a hot card and operates in 90C during gaming.Also due to this i am thinking of buying 2 more fans.Do you any of you guys have such issues please post.

• Replies 68
  • Views 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any experience with that card, but I think you should research about replacing the card's stock fan / heatsink :dance2: .

If the stock fan / heatsink is your problem, take a look at Zalman VF900.

I forgot to ask :hi: .

How old is your card?

Have you checked for dust accumulations in your rig?

Does your card have fan speed control?

Before buying a new cooler try this:

Download RivaTuner and try to speed up the fan. I know that it will increase the fan volume also, but give it a try!

I have a 8800GT and my stock fan speed (in %) is 29%. It is very low, so I decided to raise it up. Now is at 40% and is as silent as before!

BTW: My GPU temperature is 48°C -> 2min after playing FIFA 09 with a friend!

If this wont cool down your card, try buying FANS! for your computer case. I have a monster (25cm) fan and 3x 12cm fans that keep my CPU (E6750 @ stock freq @ 33°C) and my graphics (8800GT @ stock freq @ 48°C).

Remember that fans are cheaper than a new cooler and they wont void your graphics warranty!!!

I have the 8600gt w/zalman fan and it runs between 40 and 47 normal and on games goes up to maybe 61 at highest i've seen during summer. Also don't worry about the warranty on that card since xfx give 100% warranty (if registered) for anything u do to it even if its your fault (other than delibertly tearing it up).

I don't have any experience with that card, but I think you should research about replacing the card's stock fan / heatsink :dance2: .

If the stock fan / heatsink is your problem, take a look at Zalman VF900.

I forgot to ask :P .

How old is your card?

Have you checked for dust accumulations in your rig?

Does your card have fan speed control?

My card is 1 yr old and i clean my case after every 2 weeks ya and i use RivaTuner so my stock is at 100% speed but i am gonna purchase 4 coolermaster 80mm fans this week and gonna mount 1 on the back of my card and other 3 in the case for more good airflow altough i have 2 fans already in case.

Didnt know that about XFX. Nice...

But you must register your card on their site...

Ya man i have already registered on their site.But thanks for the suggestion though.

I have the 8600gt w/zalman fan and it runs between 40 and 47 normal and on games goes up to maybe 61 at highest i've seen during summer. Also don't worry about the warranty on that card since xfx give 100% warranty (if registered) for anything u do to it even if its your fault (other than delibertly tearing it up).

Ya its mayb a prob with the custom heatsink.

Before buying a new cooler try this:

Download RivaTuner and try to speed up the fan. I know that it will increase the fan volume also, but give it a try!

I have a 8800GT and my stock fan speed (in %) is 29%. It is very low, so I decided to raise it up. Now is at 40% and is as silent as before!

BTW: My GPU temperature is 48°C -> 2min after playing FIFA 09 with a friend!

If this wont cool down your card, try buying FANS! for your computer case. I have a monster (25cm) fan and 3x 12cm fans that keep my CPU (E6750 @ stock freq @ 33°C) and my graphics (8800GT @ stock freq @ 48°C).

Remember that fans are cheaper than a new cooler and they wont void your graphics warranty!!!

Ya ur right if i remove mine stock heatsink and if some prob happens and the card gets jacked by mistake i will have a prob replacing the card so the safest soltn is buying new fans which iam gonna buy nxt week.

I did remember one thing... on my previous (old and dead) 8800GTS the heatsink was badly fixed. Try reinstalling the stock heatsink and reapplying the thermal compound and replace thermal pads with new ones.

P.S.: I suggest you to buy 120mm fans (bigger = silent + more airflow).

Well I just installed two Accelero Twin Turbo coolers on my 9600gt's. The cards now dont supass 35 degrees on load each. I have the cards on a nice overclock even. Running 4 12cm casefans tho, and one 14cm one. My e8400 runs at 3.8ghz and doesnt get hotter then 55 degrees. I can advise you to get a Accelero Twin Turbo if you want to cool your graphics card down.

I did remember one thing... on my previous (old and dead) 8800GTS the heatsink was badly fixed. Try reinstalling the stock heatsink and reapplying the thermal compound and replace thermal pads with new ones.

P.S.: I suggest you to buy 120mm fans (bigger = silent + more airflow).

My case is small that why i am going for 4x80mm coolermaster fans.

Well I just installed two Accelero Twin Turbo coolers on my 9600gt's. The cards now dont supass 35 degrees on load each. I have the cards on a nice overclock even. Running 4 12cm casefans tho, and one 14cm one. My e8400 runs at 3.8ghz and doesnt get hotter then 55 degrees. I can advise you to get a Accelero Twin Turbo if you want to cool your graphics card down.

Actually here in India we have a problem of getting good h/w i found these 80mm fans after lot of time. ;) :) ;) ;)

Try getting a new heat sink & fan.

But hotwire it off of powerful cable,

Like another disc drive cable.

Could you be specific please?????

Umm... i didnt understand this post!

@ sumant30: Report us if its better after doing all things mentioned!

AshTheGamer just meant to plug the fans to cables that provide high power. (e.g., power cables for HD's, DVD's, etc.)

powercablembda3.jpg

AshTheGamer just meant to plug the fans to cables that provide high power. (e.g., power cables for HD's, DVD's, etc.)

powercablembda3.jpg

Well thanks Bizzare for your explanation and that quite explains why on some other thread Ash the Gamer was called Ash the lamer...... ;) <_< <_< <_< ;)

Well my issues is solved for now as i am getting 4x80mm coolermaster fans tommorow and a friend told me to mount one at the one end of the card will reduce my temp a lot hope this solution workss and thanks all for your advice also the lame ones.... :frusty: :think: :notworthy:

4x 80mm? Ouch... a bit loud that will be. <- Star Wars Style

More fans don't make more sound ;)

Logic: One fan makes 23 dB, two fans of the same make and model make 23 dB, three, four do exactly the same :)

80mm vs 120mm fan.

120mm = more airflow, less noise,...

Imnot worried of 4 fans.

Nah, 120mm fans can be more noisy than 80mm, it's just about which make and model you pick ;) But I get your point about the 4 fans :)

Archived