Slow computer

vin3e

Hey, long time lurker first time poster.

I have 192 ram and my pc literally melts when i have mroe than 3 - 4 apps on all at once. :thumbsup:

I was wondering if there were any ways i could increase the performance of my pc. I've already doen the following.

- Defrag O&O

- Turned off Sys Restore

- Turned off irrelevant services

- told my pc to maximise performance via my com > properties > advanced etc etc (no themes)

- Page filing is initial size: 384mb and max. size: 576mb

- Ive got no spy/mal/adware (spyware blaster, spybot, ad aware, FF)

- Reguarly empty temps (CCleaner)

- Startup with only 4 programs

Any ideas how i could further improve my computer?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 15
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, long time lurker first time poster.

I have 192 ram and my pc literally melts when i have mroe than 3 - 4 apps on all at once.  :thumbsup:

I was wondering if there were any ways i could increase the performance of my pc. I've already doen the following.

- Defrag O&O

- Turned off Sys Restore

- Turned off irrelevant services

- told my pc to maximise performance via my com > properties > advanced etc etc (no themes)

- Page filing is initial size: 384mb and max. size: 576mb

- Ive got no spy/mal/adware (spyware blaster, spybot, ad aware, FF)

- Reguarly empty temps (CCleaner)

- Startup with only 4 programs

Any ideas how i could further improve my computer?

Thanks in advance.

okay what is your computer? speed chip harddrive size, year, OSor OS upgrade, what programs are you running?

okay what is your computer? speed chip harddrive size, year, OSor OS upgrade, what programs are you running?

This is just a complete copy from what i can see when i select properties on my com.

WinXP Pro Ver 2002 SP2 Installed

AMD Sempron 2200+

1.51ghz, 192mb ram

Maxtor ..................................

Im just going to install everest and link the file.

*Gone to download*

Ok, just downloaded and using home edition or everest.

Computer:

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional

OS Service Pack Service Pack 2

DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Computer Name PETER-COSYS

User Name Vincent

Motherboard:

CPU Type Unknown, 1500 MHz (9 x 167) 2200+

Motherboard Name ASRock K7S41GX (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

Motherboard Chipset SiS 741GX

System Memory 192 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type AMI (10/28/04)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:

Video Adapter SiS 661FX_760_741_M661FX_M760_M741 (64 MB)

3D Accelerator SiS 330 Mirage Integrated

Monitor Maxdata Belinea 10 40 10 [14" CRT] (822501898)

Multimedia:

Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:

IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller

SCSI/RAID Controller D347PRT SCSI Controller

Disk Drive Maxtor 6E040L0 (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:

C: (FAT32) 39178 MB (32217 MB free)

Buy more memory.

Its the cheapest way to get a nice proformance boost.

yeah thats what im thinking. he might want to chekc his board online to see what he can put and max at.

i thought you needed 256 for a slow xp and 512 for a normal running xp?

oh and the fat32 is a no no. no, wait its 40 gb harddrive. hmmm i smell a win98 computer. guy you have over max your system. it would be cheaper to buy a new low grade computer (hp) for $300 from bestbuy and it will be much much more faster then your older system. you are wasting your money doing anymore more with this system. buy a new computer, slave your old C: drive and afterwards put the old harddrive back in the old computer and reinstall win98se.

ah, not the type of answers i was looking for :thumbsup: but nevermind..

Any recommendations? sites? hardware? builds?

As cheap as possible

ah, not the type of answers i was looking for  :thumbsup:  but nevermind..

As cheap as possible

if you are in the usa and want it like yesterday just bestbuy or circuitcity or compusa it. if you are outside the usa go to their website and check them out. you can look at their specs for the cheap computers and search some of the websites for prices. if you are looking to have a legal copy of windows xp sp2 then you are better off doing the 3 stores i put able. $149-169 or winxppro install (not upgrade) online. vs that price for upgrade version in stores.

This is most likely the best pc for you. It depends what you do on the computer. So just look around.

• Administrator
ah, not the type of answers i was looking for  <_<  but nevermind..

As cheap as possible

You won't get much of a speed boost without buying additional (better hardware anyways). Disabling services etc in winxp gives a neglible speed increase (in my experiance).

If you don't know how to fit memory (or what kind you need), i reccomend going to your local store and asking them(and purchasing from them).

From a quick look at your specs you need PC2700 memory (DDR333). You MAY have to the remove the existing memory. (one chip... as it looks like you've got two... 1x 128mb and 1x 64mb).

A 512mb chip is prolly the best "bang for the buck"

Well, the easiest alternative for me was to purchase more ram, but just didnt really get round to it when i actually had money from a summer job. Now its all gone <_<

I didnt build this computer, my uncle did after i destroyed my laptop, so im just happy i can still post here. Im in the UK btw. London to be precise :frusty:

Thanks anyway. Find me lurking about soon, mainly around the software threads :frusty:

<_<

I'm going to build my next PC sometime next year, but the one I got right now is about 2-3 years old and still going strong. I purchased it from Mesh Computers. They're pretty good with great prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Lite :shy:

I dont im afraid, the money is spent more wisely else where... like the local japanese restaurant in central london aka Misato!

The sushi there is to die for.

• 1 month later...

Windows XP runs like crap with 192mb of RAM, a 512 like said before will give you a big boost :D

Archived