DSL Modem Help

nsane

i got my DSL stuff today, but i can't seem to setup this damned modem. it came with a setup disc that tells me to click next if the ethernet, ready, and power lights are solid green. but the damn ethernet light won't light up, my network traffic is reporting 0 packets in either direction, and it just sits on 'acquiring network address' ;)

now, it's lit up twice so far and the net stats report 2 packets sent (0 recieved). but if i click next it still says there's no connection with the modem and to unplug it for a few seconds (which starts the whole long ass wait over again). after it says that 2-3 times it says to reboot my pc, which doesn't help ;)

it's a Westell Wirespeed B9-210030-04S2 DSL Modem, i've closed all processes that might mess with the connection, checked the updates and FAQs at my ISPs website, double checked all my networking configs, and unplugged it several times now. but nothing seems to help :nono:

any advice/tips would be great, i honestly don't know squat about networking. thanks in advance ;)

• Replies 31
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SliverSamuel

1st Did u check your "Local Area Connection" properties?

2nd Do you have a proxy for your connection? ;)

1. that's what says 'acquiring network address'

2. no, it goes from my pc right to the modem (not even a router) and i think what your refering to is called a 'pass-thru' (ie. dedicated firewall pc) :nono:

edit: so far it's been 40mins with no ethernet light ;)

SliverSamuel

hmmm...i had this problem before, but i hired a technician ;)

it's working! ;)

turns out it was the default tcp/ip driver installed with windows, the tech guy had me re-install it, reboot, and voila it worked! :nono:

edit: seems sygate hates my new connection ;) time to try a few alternatives...

i fixed it, kinda forgot that i disabled smart DHCP (didn't need it on dialup), turned it on and everything running great ;)

now you can clear up your "to download" list

and run out of disk space faster ;)

i notice with my darn slow line that i can only get the d/l up too 160 kb max. but if my kid gets online on his computer it doesnt effect my speed. so how do i tweak the settings if possible and get the d/l speed to the full use of 3 mb p what ever it was by the phone company?

western modem with linksys router g. just wondering.

oh nsane update your mdoem to the newest patch before using a router. i found i had to disconnect the router to update the modem

now you can clear up your "to download" list

and run out of disk space faster ;)

ain't it the truth, first thing i did was pop some flicks into my emule queue ;)

oh yeah, did i mention my friend called while i was online a little while ago? :nono:

@bb - it's not 3MB, it's 3Mb (1MB / 8 = 1Mb) so 384Kb/s is a bit more accurate. and a 160 d/l ain't that bad ;)

ain't it the truth, first thing i did was pop some flicks into my emule queue :thumbsup:

oh yeah, did i mention my friend called while i was online a little while ago? :blink:

@bb - it's not 3MB, it's 3Mb (1MB / 8 = 1Mb) so 384Kb/s is a bit more accurate. and a 160 d/l ain't that bad ;)

so i should be able to get my kids pc going at 140-150 with mine too. hmm. im doing newsgroups right now. i got 4 thread to a server. (isp newsgroups) i know 4 would make the d/l on a pc faster then 1. but if i use 2 on each computer i should actually d/l faster i think. will have to try that out later.

they say dsl is 20 times faster then 56k modem. so 384Kb/s be my limit? just asking. never could figure all that out. freaken cable and dsl examples are always bias with the others speed.

edit: seems sygate hates my new connection :thumbsup: time to try a few alternatives...

Try out Outpost and/or Look N' Stop.. A bit more advanced than Sygate (in my opinion) but pretty sweet. :blink:

Whats your dsl company nsane? Make sure its not sbc yahoo. they rip you off.

@Snake - Bellsouth :thumbsup:

@error67 - i tried LNS a few months back, was just too lazy to set it up :blink: might try it again tho (sygate's still acting goofy from time to time) ;)

@bb - i meant 384KB/s, which is 6x faster than than 56K. i have a 1.3Mb line and can get ~160KB/s, depending on the source ;)

I know you fixed it already but while I was visiting my friends house, He kept getting Limited or No Connection sign. He got that sign after the Aquiring Network Address sign for about 5 to 10 mins. Just to tell you that if that happens to you, then go to properties and somewhere there should be a repair button. If that doesn't work then restart and do it again. Just to tell you if that happens to you. :thumbsup:

SliverSamuel

I thought that only works for wireless?

What is the retention?

bellsouth for dsl newsgroups rentention in the fastaccess site before signing up says 5 days for binary. but their main site says 2 days but thats suppose to be for 56k dial up. right now their bin rentention is 7 days in some of the heavy rooms. oh what newsgroup brower are you using nsane?

A week :frusty:

If that's true you better be quick getting the latest films and such!

now if he knew someone else's login and account name and that person not using his newsgroup access then one could use newsleecher and 2 servers setup with 4 bots each. at least i think in theory.

im guessing we might see some newsbrowers later on then :frusty: hint hint <_<

oh you all in england (yeah i know this part more for that other thread on slow companuer help one) do you guys have stores like bestbuy and circuitcity? massively large stores for computer and other eletrical harddrive? giving you lower cost or do you all just online it?

Archived