Best Defrag Software?  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Which defragmenting software do you use?

• Diskeeper Pro/Server 2012
    • Raxco Perfect Disk Server 12.5
    • O&O Defrag Pro 16
    • UltimateDefrag 4
    • Other
    • None
  2. 2. Which Defragmenting software do you think is the best?

• Diskeeper Pro/Server 2012
    • Raxco Perfect Disk Server 12.5
    • O&O Defrag Pro 16
    • UltimateDefrag 4
    • Other
    • None

• Replies 155
  • Views 57.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a pity the latest Condusiv Professional 2012 16.0.1017.0 remains unconquered - personally, have gone back to the previous Diskeeper EnterpriseServer 2011 15.0.966

I use PerfectDisk, but I still believe DIskeeer is the best. I'd use DK, but there aren't any 'fix' available for it.

I am Perfectdisk user but fast boot not working on Windows 8. So I am currently using Diskeeper 2012 with Flasher-11 nag patch and trial reset. I haven't yet got any nag about xx days remaining.

• Administrator

I am Perfectdisk user but fast boot not working on Windows 8.

How to check if it's working or not?

@DKT

If bios menu can be accessed than fast boot not working. I have not searched for any other way to check it.

• Administrator

@DKT

If bios menu can be accessed than fast boot not working. I have not searched for any other way to check it.

Ah. And there I thought fast boot was working on my side. :(

Uninstalling PerfectDisk has any effect?

Fast boot will not let you acess bios. If you want to access bios than do restart or full shutdown. For info about how to disable or enable fast boot

• Administrator

Fast boot will not let you acess bios. If you want to access bios than do restart or full shutdown. For info about how to disable or enable fast boot http://eightforum.co...t-in-windows-8/

Well, I had disabled hibernate and it's files in Windows 7. So I enabled it and have gone though all the settings, and in Windows, it's enabled properly. However, you were saying something about PerfectDisk to have anything to do with fast boot? :)

I did clean installation of Windows 8 and installed all software with perfectdisk. Than i noticed fast boot not working and i started searching and come accross a forum where users are reporting the cause is perfectdisk. I have also contacted pd support but no solution. I reinstalled pd 3 times but no joy.

So in your case its working?

• Administrator

I did clean installation of Windows 8 and installed all software with perfectdisk. Than i noticed fast boot not working and i started searching and come accross a forum where users are reporting the cause is perfectdisk. I have also contacted pd support but no solution. I reinstalled pd 3 times but no joy.

So in your case its working?

I'm not sure myself. I turn on the system and go away instantly. I return after the login screen arrives. But most likely it isn't working.

Here is the thing. When I did a upgrade install from Windows 7 to Windows 8, the Windows 8 installer refused to continue, until I uninstalled PerfectDisk. Which is odd, cause, in July, PD had a blog post saying that then new version (current version right now) was coming which was compatible with Windows 8. But fair enough, I uninstalled it. But that didn't solve the problem, the installer was still saying that PD is installed. Then I had to remove all the empty PD/Raxco folders from Program Files, Program Data, App Data, etc. to be able to continue the Windows 8 upgrade.

Now that you have mentioned it, I somehow feel the above incident is in connection with the fast boot problem. Now, if PD is doing this or MS is doing this, or PD isn't to blame, I don't know.

That raises my question, does uninstallation of PD have any effect (fast boots starts working again? ) ?

That raises my question, does uninstallation of PD have any effect (fast boots starts working again? ) ?

In my case fast boot started working again after removing Perfectdisk. Here is topic from where i come to know about this issue

• Administrator

In my case fast boot started working again after removing Perfectdisk. Here is topic from where i come to know about this issue

Thanks. That was the answer I was searching for. :)

I'll try to play with PerfectDisk and see if I can fix the issue (I think I know what is causing this). But in a day or two.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll try to play with PerfectDisk and see if I can fix the issue (I think I know what is causing this). But in a day or two.

From perfectdisk support

During our research, we have found that during the fast startup process PerfectDisk's pdboot.exe is running and checking for boot time defrag schedules. The PDboot.exe is working as expected but it does slow down the boot time. This goes for any software that is configured in the boot execute key.

We have a tool that can remove pdboot.exe from the boot execute key which will allow the machine to boot fast but this removes the ability to run a boot time defrag. If you need to run a boot time defrag then you will need to go to the help tab, click product resources, under the diagnostics area, click start to find problems and then fix. This will re-insert pdboot.exe back into the boot execute key and allow the boot time defrag to work again.

http://ftp.raxco.com/Pub/Download/PD12.5/Tools/PDBootcleanup.exe

• Administrator

From perfectdisk support

During our research, we have found that during the fast startup process PerfectDisk's pdboot.exe is running and checking for boot time defrag schedules. The PDboot.exe is working as expected but it does slow down the boot time. This goes for any software that is configured in the boot execute key.

We have a tool that can remove pdboot.exe from the boot execute key which will allow the machine to boot fast but this removes the ability to run a boot time defrag. If you need to run a boot time defrag then you will need to go to the help tab, click product resources, under the diagnostics area, click start to find problems and then fix. This will re-insert pdboot.exe back into the boot execute key and allow the boot time defrag to work again.

http://ftp.raxco.com...Bootcleanup.exe

Thanks. :D

Installing it right away. ^_^

I'm using defragment software integrated in windows 8. I have tested a lot of defragmenters, but never seen big difference in performance. :s

• Administrator

I'm using defragment software integrated in windows 8. I have tested a lot of defragmenters, but never seen big difference in performance. :s

I always see a big difference while software and games loading/functioning. Remember, HDD is the slowest part of the computer. Windows Defrag only consolidates files, not arrange them according to usage. These 3rd party defrags arrange files, decreasing the loading time of them.

I always see a big difference while software and games loading/functioning. Remember, HDD is the slowest part of the computer. Windows Defrag only consolidates files, not arrange them according to usage. These 3rd party defrags arrange files, decreasing the loading time of them.

Good explanation, thanks. :)

Using none cause I'm using Rollback RX, and defragging is a no go with it.

exactly! same here.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived