Symantec Acquires Sygate

Zeus_Hunt

Symantec, creator of the popular antivirus software Norton, purchased security firm Sygate earlier this week in a deal that will add to the software maker's already impressive line of acquisitions in the past year. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Symantec decided that is time to enforce its products for the enterprise market and it has signed an agreement to acquire Sygate Technologies.

Sygate Technologies is well known for its endpoint compliance solutions. Endpoint compliance solutions help enterprise organizations enforce security by guaranteeing that all devices connected to a network -- desktops, laptops, servers, and mobile devices -- are running the appropriate security solutions, are configured correctly, and possess up-to-date patches.

As a consequnce of this acquisition Sygate's

technology will complement Symantec's presence on the endpoint to create a holistic solution to address the security, compliance, and remediation requirements of today's large enterprises. Symantec will now be able to help businesses enforce business policies and automate security practices to regain control of network security, reduce costs, and ensure compliance across the organization.

For more than five years, enterprise customers have turned to Sygate to automate the process of discovering endpoints, determining their compliance with security policies, enforcing network access control, remediating noncompliant systems, and then continuously monitoring for compliance. The Sygate Universal Network Access Control system enables enterprises to extend the protections of network access control to every type of network access (VPN, wireless, wired switch, DHCP, and home networks) and on all endpoints (desktops, laptops, servers, guest systems, and embedded devices) and allows them to define how secure an endpoint must be before it can access specific network resources, even when users take their mobile devices off the corporate network.

"Thanks to the support of our customers, employees, investors, partners, and shareholders, Sygate has helped some of the largest, most complex enterprises to secure their infrastructures and eliminate disruptions to business-critical computer systems," said John DeSantis, president and CEO of Sygate Technologies. "Combining our entrepreneurial spirit and expertise in endpoint compliance with Symantec's outstanding resources, corporate culture and market leadership in client security will allow us to offer customers the most comprehensive solution for both managed and unmanaged endpoints."

Upon close of the deal, Symantec AntiVirus and Symantec Client Security customers will be able to license and deploy Sygate's Network Access Control (SNAC) agent to provide endpoint compliance on top of the protection they already receive. Symantec will integrate its remediation capabilities like LiveUpdate and LiveState Patch Manager and its data availability solutions into a more robust endpoint compliance solution.

Previous to the Sygate acquisition, Symantec acquired TurnTide, Brightmail, On Technology and SafeWeb, as well as storage-software maker Veritas. Sygate makes software that ensures compliance with security regulations, as well as software to govern access to network devices.

• Replies 9
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LemonHead2089

:rolleyes: thats new and interesting. Never saw that coming. But good for Symantec. I wonder if anyone is still going to use Sygate after they find out Symantec owns it since most people think their products suck

:rolleyes: thats new and interesting. Never saw that coming. But good for Symantec. I wonder if anyone is still going to use Sygate after they find out Symantec owns it since most people think their products suck

symantec is the little MS bill gate. buying everyone up instead of making something nice

I dont they would tinker with Sygate products very much....

Probably just an aquisition to stengthen their position....

and yes certainly one less a competition...

Actually right now thats what is running on my system...HP system....

Well I use both Symantec and Sygate so this is kinda good to hear...

Hopefully they wont tinker around too much but hopefully updates will become a bit more regular.

symantec is the little MS bill gate.  buying everyone up instead of making something nice

What other companies have they bought up? <_<

I also find their AV quite adequate for my needs too :rolleyes:

Just makes me wonder if they have made any application on their own except for norton antivirus and norton utilities ....

They'll be sure to integrate it onto their other apps. Windows XP at the moment recogises Sygate as my firewall (even though I have XP's own turned off), and also recognises Symantec's Worm Protection for the AV.

yeah, I remember partition magic...

Hmm, nothing like reinventing the wheel. :pirate:

Archived