How to clean your case

shought

As the title states guys! What's the best way to clean a computer case, and it's contents. I've read something here before about not using a vacuum cleaner since it creates a static field which might screw up your hardware... Is that true? Well, anyway just tell me how you clean yours, if you do, and what you think is the best way of doing so :P

• Replies 31
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duster +

-You can dust off the crap out of creepy area easily

-The coolness factor of feeling like a new age Cowboy shooting at stuff

-Good for you lazy g33k so you dont have to setup the vacuum

Duster -

-The crap you just awake may make a shortcircuits

-The crap you just awake is probably now flying in your room

-The cost even if its cheap you gotta buy more and more (see the coolness factor +)

-Environment, you gotta trash that can...

Vacuum +

-Grab and keep the crap (tho it might keep flying trought poor filtering)

-Funny sound while using in cases fans

-You dont trash you vacuum...

Vacuum-

-Leave some crap in creepy area

-Time costly to setup.... ouf...

-Not cool playing women instead of cowboy

-I have no clue about that static urban legend.

I use vacuum to cleanup fans and use duster to push the dust to the mouth of the vacuum.

So vacuum should just be safe? Ok... :lmao: Thanks for your reply.

I use one time a year a vacuum cleaner

no problem at all, but be carefull,

you will never now.... :lmao:

• Administrator

Compressed Air is the ONLY way one should clean a computer case of dust.

Avoid a vaccum cleaner because of the static it generates, its not a myth its a fact.

Compressed Air is the ONLY way one should clean a computer case of dust.

Avoid a vaccum cleaner because of the static it generates, its not a myth its a fact.

So better use something that blows air than using something that 'sucks' air? :dance2:

I use vacuum to cleanup fans and use duster to push the dust to the mouth of the vacuum.

:dance2:

You are joking right??? please don't as some noob will come here to the site and read your reply and not the ones above it that state NEVER use a vacuum inside your computer

You are joking right??? please don't as some noob will come here to the site and read your reply and not the ones above it that state NEVER use a vacuum inside your computer

He doesn't say he puts the vacuum inside of the computer does he? I think he holds the vacuum in front of the fans and pushes the dust towards them with a duster. Am i right 3NIGM4?

yep so the crap not flying in my office.

...........and you have not zapped your motherboard with a huge static charge yet...lucky you, you should go to Vegas :rolleyes:

PS...not trying to start a war here just trying to tell you that the odds are that someday you will get a static charge that will cause damage

yep so the crap not flying in my office.

...........and you have not zapped your motherboard with a huge static charge yet...lucky you, you should go to Vegas :rolleyes:

PS...not trying to start a war here just trying to tell you that the odds are that someday you will get a static charge that will cause damage

Compressed air it is...? :P I can't make up my mind, whaaaaaaaa!

#

Users can use a vacuum to suck up dirt, dust, or hair around their computer on the outside case and on their keyboards. However, do not use a vacuum for the inside of your computer as it generates a lot of static electricity that can damage the internal components of your computer. If you need to use a vacuum to clean the inside of your computer, use a portable battery powered vacuum designed to do this job

Article

Ok guys, im telling you here that i put the vacuum by my computer case and dust the stuff to the vacuum so its not actually inside the computer.

How about using the vacuum cleaner in 'blower' mode instead of 'suction' mode - does this cause the static charge?

How about using the vacuum cleaner in 'blower' mode instead of 'suction' mode - does this cause the static charge?

It'd be safe to assume that this would not cause a static charge... ;) At least that is what i think :)

• 2 weeks later...

Take computer case outside on a deck, open the case and use a leaf blower to rid it of dust.

The static charge you are all worried about will build up on the plastic nozzle of a vacuum cleaner and since the nozzle has to be so close to the electronic components -- the charge could zap your computer.

Since the leaf blower has so much more blowing power, the nozzle can be kept a great distance from the electronics -- hence minimizing the chance of an electrostatic shock.

Don't forget to blow out the power supply -- something you really cannot do with a vacuum cleaner.

Take computer case outside on a deck, open the case and use a leaf blower to rid it of dust.

The static charge you are all worried about will build up on the plastic nozzle of a vacuum cleaner and since the nozzle has to be so close to the electronic components -- the charge could zap your computer.

Since the leaf blower has so much more blowing power, the nozzle can be kept a great distance from the electronics -- hence minimizing the chance of an electrostatic shock.

Don't forget to blow out the power supply -- something you really cannot do with a vacuum cleaner.

I should delete this post just in case some one actually tries to use a leaf blower to clean out their pc case ;)

i use a air can to blow the dust and a vacuum hose to suck it up in the air as i blow it with a air can

does an electric fan?..directed to the back of the computer, at risk of having this static charge?..or does it damage the parts inside the computers??...

I should delete this post just in case some one actually tries to use a leaf blower to clean out their pc case :smoke:

He did say 'great distance', it probably depends of how hard your leaf blowers... well... blows :smoke: But I don't think it's a really 'effective' idea either ;) Might work, but sounds kinda cruel.

does an electric fan?..directed to the back of the computer, at risk of having this static charge?..or does it damage the parts inside the computers??...

Nah, a fan wouldn't cause a static charge. Fans are used inside computers :lmao: Would be pretty dumb if they did...

As the title states guys! What's the best way to clean a computer case, and it's contents. I've read something here before about not using a vacuum cleaner since it creates a static field which might screw up your hardware... Is that true? Well, anyway just tell me how you clean yours, if you do, and what you think is the best way of doing so ;)

i leave all my cases open and then hit them with compressed air(canned) when needed.believe it or not they stay cleaner when left open.

As the title states guys! What's the best way to clean a computer case, and it's contents. I've read something here before about not using a vacuum cleaner since it creates a static field which might screw up your hardware... Is that true? Well, anyway just tell me how you clean yours, if you do, and what you think is the best way of doing so ;)

i leave all my cases open and then hit them with compressed air(canned) when needed.believe it or not they stay cleaner when left open.

Unless you got a side fan and leave that fan out when leaving it open :smoke: Which is the case in my PC. But it's a smart tip for people without a side fan.

Computer fans are design to work with closed case to create an air flow. I found out that my computer run hotter with all the panel open. At least my old comps, so be carefull especially if your overcloaking.

Computer fans are design to work with closed case to create an air flow. I found out that my computer run hotter with all the panel open. At least my old comps, so be carefull especially if your overcloaking.

exactly ....you should NEVER leave the side panel off of your computer...the air flow is all wrong when you do this and the heat will not be exhausted out of the case...and we all know that heat is the enemy of computer components.

Archived