Guide on how to configure UltimateDefrag 2008 properly

shought

This post has been edited by Shought: May 15 2008, 12:15 PM

as i recall, allot of discussion went on after this date, so i don't really think you updated it, since if you did it would say something like 24 or the likes

@ Shought: just add this at the bottom of the guide:

"The guide has been updated to post xxx"

By updating this every time you have read a post, whether or not there is anything to add to the guide, this insures that those who read the guide and do not want to read through the entire thread can just skip all post until the one marked and read on from there to get all info ;) (this is something that I am planning to add to my last access post, when I organize it ;))

As i said, i might've missed something, but a lot of the discussion was about the layout.ini file if i recall correctly. And at that point i didn't want to add it, not saying i didn't miss anything, when i get some more time on my hands(this evening) i will read through the whole topic and do as spasserfan suggested :frusty: Thanks for that!

Just haven't got enough time to do so now, in any case: thanks for notifying me ;) Might've forgotten otherwise.

• Replies 215
  • Views 64.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What you are writing does not only apply to layout.ini but also the prefetch folder itself, because that would also be filled with these programs, but luckily there is a simple solution, that will give you improvements by layout.ini and prefetch folder from the start:

After you reinstalled windows and all of your programs (including updates) you could just empty the prefetch directory to prevent this, that way you are sure that none unwanted files are present in layout.ini and prefetch folder. The files that is placed there afterwards will be only the ones you use :frusty:

You could just create a simple batch file to do the job for you and add the line(s) to this guide to let people use the batchfile too (they could just copy to notepad and rename it from *.txt to *.bat ;)), this would be good for those who do not dare to get past the warning from windows (to not show the files in the windir ;))

Any comment Shought? ;)

Edit: I that was actually a good idea I got there, I will do that next time I do a reinstall :D

Lol, missed this post. Comments on above might follow, but at the moment i totally agree with you. Only thing is: i'm not a pro in writing batch files :P

I'll try out the results of deleting the whole Prefetch folder this evening too.

spasserfan
What you are writing does not only apply to layout.ini but also the prefetch folder itself, because that would also be filled with these programs, but luckily there is a simple solution, that will give you improvements by layout.ini and prefetch folder from the start:

After you reinstalled windows and all of your programs (including updates) you could just empty the prefetch directory to prevent this, that way you are sure that none unwanted files are present in layout.ini and prefetch folder. The files that is placed there afterwards will be only the ones you use :frusty:

You could just create a simple batch file to do the job for you and add the line(s) to this guide to let people use the batchfile too (they could just copy to notepad and rename it from *.txt to *.bat ;)), this would be good for those who do not dare to get past the warning from windows (to not show the files in the windir ;))

Any comment Shought? ;)

Edit: I that was actually a good idea I got there, I will do that next time I do a reinstall :D

Lol, missed this post. Comments on above might follow, but at the moment i totally agree with you. Only thing is: i'm not a pro in writing batch files :D

I'll try out the results of deleting the whole Prefetch folder this evening too.

@spasserfan i didn't have any problems editing my layout.ini file, seems like i already was the owner, i am the admin after all...

About deleting it: Windows will just remake (nearly) the same layout.ini file again at/after the next boot, so still: when you used some installer files and stuff like that then they will still be placed in the HP region because of the layout.ini file. It will not start all over again, from the moment you deleted the file, but it will just recover it and add the newly found data.(I'm 90% sure of this, but if i'm wrong and someone has proof, please prove me wrong!) So i'm not going to add a line that says 'Use layout.ini any time', but i'm going to put one in that says 'Use layout.ini, unless you (re)installed your system less than a month ago after that month you should start using the option.' (We'll keep it at 1 month, i know i've said 2-4, but i think 1 will do too, since i forgot about myself reinstalling my system again :frusty: LOL :wacko:)

I think we've got the layout.ini thing done here now(if you want to go on spasserfan, please do so though), how about some more comments from you guys?

To dgr8one: I recommend using folder/file name method, with archive (see this guide) on "fast placement" method, high performance (see this guide) on "strict placement" method, directories close to MFT and respect layout.ini.

Don't use strict placement every time you defrag. Using Strict placement once in two/three weeks will be sufficient if you don't install more than one or two programs in that time. I recommend running a Folder/File name defrag with Fast placement once a week and one with Strict placement every 2/3 weeks(a month might even do if you don't install any programs).

I'll add this to the end of my guide.

New findings on layout.ini: sometimes, just like it did now, layout.ini keeps files and folders which aren't there anymore. UD sees those as still being there or something and messes up then. So using layout.ini is taken back to the not recommended level again... Sorry spasserfan :frusty: But i can't live with a HD that is HP, chunk of free space, more HP, more free space, more HP, free space, Defrag method... :wacko: Annoying bastards ;) The only thing that will probably solve this is delete layout.ini and have it recreated. I'll try that now.

spasserfan
To dgr8one: I recommend using folder/file name method, with archive (see this guide) on "fast placement" method, high performance (see this guide) on "strict placement" method, directories close to MFT and respect layout.ini.

Don't use strict placement every time you defrag. Using Strict placement once in two/three weeks will be sufficient if you don't install more than one or two programs in that time. I recommend running a Folder/File name defrag with Fast placement once a week and one with Strict placement every 2/3 weeks(a month might even do if you don't install any programs).

I was talking about primary defrag method. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I would recommend using fragmented files only only as subsequent defrag method, since it wont change the structure made by folder/file name defrag and high performance (strict placement). If you use consolidate it could start moving files and thus changing this structure. But if you use consolidate for subsequent defrags, then choose very fast placement method (in both consolidate options and high performance), because then it is less likely (but still possible) that UD will move files and change the structure. If the structure has changed UD will also take longer to do a folder/file name defrag afterwards.

Fragmented files only is the fastest defrag method. All it does is defragging the fragmented files, and that is what you want from a subsequent defrag!

don't forget to add *.cue, *.bin, *.nrg as image file extensions, and *.mkv as a video file extension

spasserfan
@spasserfan i didn't have any problems editing my layout.ini file, seems like i already was the owner, i am the admin after all...

About deleting it: Windows will just remake (nearly) the same layout.ini file again at/after the next boot, so still: when you used some installer files and stuff like that then they will still be placed in the HP region because of the layout.ini file. It will not start all over again, from the moment you deleted the file, but it will just recover it and add the newly found data.(I'm 90% sure of this, but if i'm wrong and someone has proof, please prove me wrong!) So i'm not going to add a line that says 'Use layout.ini any time', but i'm going to put one in that says 'Use layout.ini, unless you (re)installed your system less than a month ago after that month you should start using the option.' (We'll keep it at 1 month, i know i've said 2-4, but i think 1 will do too, since i forgot about myself reinstalling my system again :) LOL :wacko:)

I think we've got the layout.ini thing done here now(if you want to go on spasserfan, please do so though), how about some more comments from you guys?

I guess you could prevent the recreations of layout.ini by disabling the prefetch (and therefor also the layout.ini):

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher

Set the value to "0"- disable, then reboot and check if layout.ini is recreated, if not you were successfull. Then change the value back to "3"

I guess you could prevent the recreations of layout.ini by disabling the prefetch (and therefor also the layout.ini):

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher

Set the value to "0"- disable, then reboot and check if layout.ini is recreated, if not you were successfull. Then change the value back to "3"

So what you're saying i that when i totally disable prefetch, and enable it again. It will just 'start over' just like after a fresh reinstall? That'd be great i guess :)

don't forget to add *.cue, *.bin, *.nrg as image file extensions, and *.mkv as a video file extension

Sorry, missed yours marik.

Uhmmmm, well i did say add any other image file you use... But for for the completeness of the guide, i'll just add these since i know they're pretty commonly used. About .mkv, i'll add that too, but i'm thinking about reorganizing these kinds of parts of my guide. Like:

Video extensions: .....

Image extensions: ....

And just add in front 'only add the extensions you use'. Or something like that...

spasserfan

So what you're saying i that when i totally disable prefetch, and enable it again. It will just 'start over' just like after a fresh reinstall? That'd be great i guess :)

I did not say it did so, I said "I guess" ;)

But If you disable prefetch and completely empties the prefetch folder, I THINK it would start over. You will have to test that.

I think that I am out of ideas if that does not work. However we could just take the next step and google for it ;)

spasserfan
New findings on layout.ini: sometimes, just like it did now, layout.ini keeps files and folders which aren't there anymore. UD sees those as still being there or something and messes up then. So using layout.ini is taken back to the not recommended level again... Sorry spasserfan :sneaky: But i can't live with a HD that is HP, chunk of free space, more HP, more free space, more HP, free space, Defrag method... :wacko: Annoying bastards :dance2: The only thing that will probably solve this is delete layout.ini and have it recreated. I'll try that now.

I have already written about this problem in an earlier post :P

(...)

It is highly recommended to respect layout.ini, you can't even make a better placement using high performance. However I have noticed in the new version (v.2.0.0.47) UD places these files, but afterwards (placing high performance, even though "respect layout.ini" is a high performance option) it moves files at the beginning leaving a hole (I do not know if this is because of some locked files in that section), I have therefore moved back to the earlier version (since I do not notice any improvement in defrag speed, because I do not use the "very fast placement" or other of the new options), and I am just waiting for the boot time defrag option and a fix for the "respect layout.ini" (maybe they fixed that in v. 2.0.0.48, but they did not write it on the version history page, I guess someone has to test this)

(...)

a little note: they did not fix this in v. 2.0.0.48. Do not know about v. 2.0.0.51 but I have my doubts.

Another thing, you could use the old version (now legally free read here) along with the new one. Then use the old for high performance with layout.ini (use the option "do high performance then stop", without the option "respect archive" since archive is processed before high performance). You could then use v. 2008 for archive and the defrag method (just add the same files/folders in HP in both programs, and use very fast placement in HP in v.2008, then files already in HP (moved ther by the old UD) won't be moved).

THE TWO PROGRAMS CAN COEXIST since they are installed into two different folders (prompted on install in UD 2008)

New findings on layout.ini: sometimes, just like it did now, layout.ini keeps files and folders which aren't there anymore. UD sees those as still being there or something and messes up then. So using layout.ini is taken back to the not recommended level again... Sorry spasserfan :sneaky: But i can't live with a HD that is HP, chunk of free space, more HP, more free space, more HP, free space, Defrag method... :wacko: Annoying bastards :dance2: The only thing that will probably solve this is delete layout.ini and have it recreated. I'll try that now.

I have already written about this problem in an earlier post :P

(...)

It is highly recommended to respect layout.ini, you can't even make a better placement using high performance. However I have noticed in the new version (v.2.0.0.47) UD places these files, but afterwards (placing high performance, even though "respect layout.ini" is a high performance option) it moves files at the beginning leaving a hole (I do not know if this is because of some locked files in that section), I have therefore moved back to the earlier version (since I do not notice any improvement in defrag speed, because I do not use the "very fast placement" or other of the new options), and I am just waiting for the boot time defrag option and a fix for the "respect layout.ini" (maybe they fixed that in v. 2.0.0.48, but they did not write it on the version history page, I guess someone has to test this)

(...)

a little note: they did not fix this in v. 2.0.0.48. Do not know about v. 2.0.0.51 but I have my doubts.

Another thing, you could use the old version (now legally free read here) along with the new one. Then use the old for high performance with layout.ini (use the option "do high performance then stop", without the option "respect archive" since archive is processed before high performance). You could then use v. 2008 for archive and the defrag method (just add the same files/folders in HP in both programs, and use very fast placement in HP in v.2008, then files already in HP (moved ther by the old UD) won't be moved).

THE TWO PROGRAMS CAN COEXIST since they are installed into two different folders (prompted on install in UD 2008)

Install the same program twice to do the same job? :s keep of those beers and start to share ;p

I really don't think all this bother is worth it "me personally any way".

Install the same program twice to do the same job? :P keep of those beers and start to share ;p

Yeah, i had the same feeling about this. And this would make my guide much more complicated. So, i'm sorry spasserfan, but i'm not going to add this, i'm just going to wait till they fix it.

spasserfan

Install the same program twice to do the same job? :dance2: keep of those beers and start to share ;p

Yeah, i had the same feeling about this. And this would make my guide much more complicated. So, i'm sorry spasserfan, but i'm not going to add this, i'm just going to wait till they fix it.

I never said you should, it was just a possible solution if anyone wanted that. As I have already stated, I am using the old version, and will be until there is anything new in UD2008 (that could be the bootdefrag :P ) bu until then the only difference (at least for my usage) is the GUI, and I can live with the old one as long as I get the functionality that is missing (or should I say not working :dance2: ) in UD2008 :sneaky:

Edit: any comment on this Shought:

I was talking about primary defrag method. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I would recommend using fragmented files only only as subsequent defrag method, since it wont change the structure made by folder/file name defrag and high performance (strict placement). If you use consolidate it could start moving files and thus changing this structure. But if you use consolidate for subsequent defrags, then choose very fast placement method (in both consolidate options and high performance), because then it is less likely (but still possible) that UD will move files and change the structure. If the structure has changed UD will also take longer to do a folder/file name defrag afterwards.

Fragmented files only is the fastest defrag method. All it does is defragging the fragmented files, and that is what you want from a subsequent defrag!

I never said you should, it was just a possible solution if anyone wanted that. As I have already stated, I am using the old version, and will be until there is anything new in UD2008 (that could be the bootdefrag :sneaky: ) bu until then the only difference (at least for my usage) is the GUI, and I can live with the old one as long as I get the functionality that is missing (or should I say not working :P ) in UD2008 :dance2:

The bootdefrag will be a stand alone utility :dance2: So you won't have to upgrade to UD2008 for that. I just stick with 2008 and don't use layout.ini :P Since i've never been using it.

spasserfan
I never said you should, it was just a possible solution if anyone wanted that. As I have already stated, I am using the old version, and will be until there is anything new in UD2008 (that could be the bootdefrag :sneaky: ) bu until then the only difference (at least for my usage) is the GUI, and I can live with the old one as long as I get the functionality that is missing (or should I say not working :P ) in UD2008 :dance2:

The bootdefrag will be a stand alone utility :dance2: So you won't have to upgrade to UD2008 for that. I just stick with 2008 and don't use layout.ini :P Since i've never been using it.

What is your source? I only managed to find something about bootdefrag would be added to UD2008 in june

What is your source? I only managed to find something about bootdefrag would be added to UD2008 in june

I read it somewhere on their release page, checking it now.

Removed boot time defrag option to make way for very powerful and flexible boot time defrag utility which will be provided free of charge to all V2.XX owners by end of June 2008.

This points to it being a separate utility, but i'm almost sure i literary read it somewhere...

spasserfan
Removed boot time defrag option to make way for very powerful and flexible boot time defrag utility which will be provided free of charge to all V2.XX owners by end of June 2008.

This points to it being a separate utility, but i'm almost sure i literary read it somewhere...

Red the same, I just thought that it meant that it is going to be implemented to UD2008 later. But of course it would also be a fix for the bootdefrag in the previous version, that did not work :P

spasserfan

You should add this to your guide, it is from my Guide to SystemboosterXP, however I have modified it for UltimateDefrag. You could add it as a section and write credit to me below ( something like: thanks to spasserfan for writing the above about Last Access Timestamps :P). Well here it is:

First of all, it is very important to check if the last access timestamps (from now on "LAT") are turned on, otherwise you will lose some of UltimateDefrag's functionality. To check do the following:

To check whether Last Access Time Stamping is ON or OFF - Go to the Command Prompt (START => ALL PROGRAMS => ACCESSORIES => COMMAND PROMPT) in Windows and type the following:

FSUTIL BEHAVIOR QUERY DISABLELASTACCESS (then hit Enter)

If it returns a value of 0 or "not set" then you do not need to do anything.

If it returns a value of 1 then you need to enter the following:

FSUTIL BEHAVIOR SET DISABLELASTACCESS 0 (then hit enter). (This will enable last access timestamps)

A little info about last access timestamps:

Some antivirus programs and desktop search and indexing programs update the Last Access times of files that they scan and index. Technically this contravenes Microsoft's suggested practice for updating Last Access time stamps since it is not a true "normal use" access. In this instance we suggest that you lobby the maker of your antivirus program or search program to have their products not alter the last access time stamp when doing their scans of your files.

The above only applies to the part of the programs scanning the entire hard disk such an antivirus on-demand scanner, therefore this does not apply to the on-access scanner, because those files are accessed by another program that has already changed the timestamps (unless it scans on-access of another scanner that preserves LAT, and afterwards changes the LATs).

If you use a program that does not preserve last access timestamps, you should search for an alternative or if you really need the program you could disable last access timestamps and reboot before a scanning your hard disk, and afterwards enable the last access timestamps and reboot .

To help identify programs that do not preserve last access timestamps, spasserfan has started this thread

You sure didn't leave any space for own input from my side :) Thanks, i can just copy and paste that where i want it! Your guide looks very nice btw, going to try it out... When? That's the big question :lmao:

spasserfan
You sure didn't leave any space for own input from my side :) Thanks, i can just copy and paste that where i want it! Your guide looks very nice btw, going to try it out... When? That's the big question :lmao:

You are welcome :)

Well it was already written, and I only had to change a few things to make it for UD instead of SystemboosterXP. To leave space for your input I would have to delete what I already wrote, and why would I wanna do that? ;) It also makes it easier for you to just copy-paste ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Redid some parts of my guide. Cleared up the 'Notes section' and added minor support for two HD configuration and explanation for RAID. Moved some stuff around. Added a 'Don't try to be smart note' in front of my guide.

Future:

- Including link to Help file. - Done.

- Improving 2 HD section. - Sort of done...

- Giving some better looks... - Done.

For a guide on SystemBoosterXP, which has a much better layout than my guide does, go here.

:D :showoff2:

Nice comment :D :dance2:

Thank you :dance2:

Archived