Review: Samsung Galaxy SII I9100

Tweety.Abd

Brilliant work! Thank you so much for the descriptive and illustrative information :)

• Replies 55
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did you overclock your phone? I never heard anyone overclocking their phones (probably because I'm new to all this smartphone thing). Since you're experienced in overclocking, I'd like to know the pros and cons you faced by overclocking your phone. And additionally, I'd like to know if there are other ROMs like XDA Developers you've mentioned, and how do they differ? I'd be grateful if you could help me out. Thanks :)

Note: I'd also like to know if installing a 3rd party ROM and/or overclocking the phone, voids the warranty.

Sorry about the late reaction to your questions, rather busy last weeks ;)

Overclocking your phone gives it a noticable speed-up. It's the responsiveness that I really like. A con is the battery life due to the fact that power consumption increases exponentionally with frequency. You can however use a smart govenator to control your frequency and with default governators on custom roms, only about 4% of the time the phone is in highest frequency setting (you can use CPU Spy app to see that). Also when gaming (most of the time in highest setting) the phone can get a bit hotter, but then you can disable the OC temporary.

Before I started using CheckROM, I used LiteRom from LitePro. Last version was 6.1, but he got inactive with his development, so after a few months I switched. Every time Samsung creates a ROM for intern use, it's leaked and the modders start making good ROMs, so after a few weeks my LiteRom was overclassed. Now they even use some sources from CM7 (android 2.3.7) and even some files from android 4.0 (from Nexus Prime sources). This is also the case with my newest ROM in use, CheckRom 4.0. It's released yesterday and is based on android 2.3.6. It's really smooth and I had no crashes in the last few hours (just flashed it). The kernel is the default one for the new ROM (KK5). The only thing is that my ICS theme was for KJ3 ROMs and no KK5 themes are currently available, so we just need to wait a few days I guess xD.

And indeed OC, or flashing a ROM, voids the warranty. During boot the phone looks at the times the phone is reflashed and if that number >0, you get a yellow triangle with a exclamation mark. When you have this, you warrenty is gone. There is however a way to reset the 'flash counter', this involves a simple USB Jig (I thought it was called like this). This is a micro USB connector with a certain resistor attached to it. When you boot your phone up with this USB Jig, the counter is reset. So if something is broken (e.a. the camera), flash your default kernel and firmware back (so before you flash a custom rom, look up your exact kernel and firmware numbers and write them down) and then reset the counter.

Then samsung (or your reseller) can't see that you flashed a custom ROM. OC is a software thing (your kernel had to support it btw), so I don't think they see that.

If you got more questions, I'm always avaiable :P

@downserad:

I just downloaded some files (Android 2.3.5 (Samsung KI4) + CF Root Kernel + Kitchen Pro app + Odin). My Kaspersky told me, in the Kitchen Pro app is trojan. Is it normal?

The name of a trojan is: Exploit.Linux.Lotoor.u

I don't think the file is a trojan. The Kitchen Pro app is used to edit the ROMs before installation, so you don't need to use it if you're no modder yourself. The files on XDA Developers from trusted modders are no virusses as far as I know and expierenced.

BTW my current ROM is CheckROM RevoHD™ V4 with the kernel DarkKnight™ V2.5.2. It's running very smooth and battery life is better with this new kernel (my old one was DarkKnight™ V2.4.2).

• 1 month later...

Archived