Review: Samsung Galaxy SII I9100

Tweety.Abd

Hi!

I'm planning on buying the Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 from my carrier. I've read the features on GSM arena, and it's pretty darn good and what I'm looking for. But I'd like to consult with you guys here before I make a decision since I don't have any experience with smart phones at all and it'll be my first. So what do you guys think? Is it worth buying?

Thanks in advance :)

PS. Please mention the pros and cons, if possible.

• Replies 55
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on what use will you give to the phone (bussines, playing games, etc.)

Well I don't think I'd want to play games, but it could change. I never had a smart phone before, let alone played games on it. I'm not sure if I'd play games, but I'd try out one or two. I'm usually want the phone for taking pictures, recording video, social networking (& web browsing), texting, listening to music and watching videos/movies (and possibly play games).

That's all you need. Android is the future. I think that phone will be great for you. HD videos / pictures are you talking about?

That's all you need. Android is the future. I think that phone will be great for you. HD videos / pictures are you talking about?

That's one reason I'm consider the phone, because it's Andriod powered, but I've heard that Andriod 4 is going to come out pretty soon and that'll make the phone a bit obsolete - I'm not sure if Samsung would provide update to Sandwich Ice-cream, but if it does, that'd be pretty awesome. And yes I were talking about HD pictures/videos 720p & 1080p videos.

I have read somewhere that it will take several months to phone producers to adapt to Android 4. And the camera is better than my Nokia N8s 12 megapixel cam.

Well, i am going to buy it as well. However be careful when trying to update Android. That goes with Sync-Software named Kies, and Kies is buggy.

My personal opinion about the galaxy S2 is that it only has 2 cons:

1. battery life, but the phone is very powerful so this all depends on how much you use it per day.
  2. It's very large and thin which is cool but makes it difficult to use for calling if you have small hands, and it also makes it hard to store it if you have small pockets.

As you can see my idea of cons are really relative to how the phone is used and situation dependent. Those things may not affect you at all. The S2 is really a badass phone and you can't really go wrong. I have seen it in action and my view is that the screen is better than the iphone screen.

My problem with Android (not phone specific) is that it is very difficult to get the latest updates. I no longer have the patience for hacking phone and flashing unofficial roms and all that nonsense, as time passes your priorities get shifted and you tend to want things that just work as opposed to things you have to waste more time fixing up instead of using. This is one area that apple wins and hopefully windows phone 7 will follow.

I have read somewhere that it will take several months to phone producers to adapt to Android 4. And the camera is better than my Nokia N8s 12 megapixel cam.

Well if it's updatable to Andriod 4, then it's more likely that I'll buy it :)

Well, i am going to buy it as well. However be careful when trying to update Android. That goes with Sync-Software named Kies, and Kies is buggy.

So there are chances that I could brick my phone while updating?

My personal opinion about the galaxy S2 is that it only has 2 cons:

1. battery life, but the phone is very powerful so this all depends on how much you use it per day.
  2. It's very large and thin which is cool but makes it difficult to use for calling if you have small hands, and it also makes it hard to store it if you have small pockets.

As you can see my idea of cons are really relative to how the phone is used and situation dependent. Those things may not affect you at all. The S2 is really a badass phone and you can't really go wrong. I have seen it in action and my view is that the screen is better than the iphone screen.

My problem with Android (not phone specific) is that it is very difficult to get the latest updates. I no longer have the patience for hacking phone and flashing unofficial roms and all that nonsense, as time passes your priorities get shifted and you tend to want things that just work as opposed to things you have to waste more time fixing up instead of using. This is one area that apple wins and hopefully windows phone 7 will follow.

I don't think I'd be using it a lot, maybe for 4 hours or less on average. And no lol my hands aren't small :P and I know it's large, but Galaxy Note is even larger, that's one reason I dropped it from my potential buying list. I'm thinking of buying Galaxy S2 and iPhone 4S, but I'm more likely to buy S2, but iPhone has 'Siri', an amazing camera and the best part is it's updates and support for older devices.

I don't know that, but I think it'll be

I think android has voice commands too. If the iphone has it then it must be out there already cuz they don't come up with new ideas, they just use existing stuff and make it look prettier + the hype + marketing = fool everyone.

Windows phone 7 has voice commands as well.

I don't know that, but I think it'll be

I just hope it is. Even if it's not, I'll probably buy it. But if there's a new Galaxy being released sometime soon within 4 months, then I'd rather wait.

I think android has voice commands too. If the iphone has it then it must be out there already cuz they don't come up with new ideas, they just use existing stuff and make it look prettier + the hype + marketing = fool everyone.

How so they steal everyone else's ideas and simultaneously sue others for 'patent infringements'? And it'd be awesome if Galaxy S2 has 'Siri' like voice command on it :D

Win the patent race and everything becomes theirs. The corporate world is very evil and clever. From what I gather Siri seems to be server side dependent but Android voice command is less prone to outage problems since it only depends on the phone.

• Administrator

I believe they bought a company that made Siri. But don't rely on Siri, it has it's shortcomings, it's all in the cloud, network goes down, Siri goes down.

AFAIK, all the top end Android smartphones should get Android 4.0 sooner or later.

Win the patent race and everything becomes theirs. The corporate world is very evil and clever. From what I gather Siri seems to be server side dependent but Android voice command is less prone to outage problems since it only depends on the phone.

I just read an article on GSM Arena about Siri. I didn't know that it was in-the-cloud, but now that I know, it's just dumb I guess. What if I'm in a place where's there isn't any internet access? And I'm going to do some research on Andriod voice command soon.

I believe they bought a company that made Siri. But don't rely on Siri, it has it's shortcomings, it's all in the cloud, network goes down, Siri goes down.

AFAIK, all the top end Android smartphones should get Android 4.0 sooner or later.

Yap, I just read it and it made me not like 'Siri' so much. If Galaxy S2 will be getting a taste of sandwich ice-cream, then I'm most definitely going to purchase it by the end of the month.

they finaly updated my Samsung Galaxy S to 2.3.5 ginderbread. guess have to wait for honeycomb :P

It is advisable to make backup of your data on the phone. The problem is that Kies does not recognize Galaxy S2 directly on connection.

Someone tried to connect Galaxy S2 with Kies, it did 28 times not work. Then he suddenly could upgrade his Android.

If you are about moving MP3 or other data to your Galaxy S2, then you do not need Kies. It works wonderfully in USB mode (you see Mass storage media in explorer)...

PS: While upgrading to the new Android you cannot brick anything. However you will be lucky, when it got recognized... The latest Kies build should work however...

It is advisable to make backup of your data on the phone. The problem is that Kies does not recognize Galaxy S2 directly on connection.

Someone tried to connect Galaxy S2 with Kies, it did 28 times not work. Then he suddenly could upgrade his Android.

If you are about moving MP3 or other data to your Galaxy S2, then you do not need Kies. It works wonderfully in USB mode (you see Mass storage media in explorer)...

PS: While upgrading to the new Android you cannot brick anything. However you will be lucky, when it got recognized... The latest Kies build should work however...

\

Okay, thanks for the information and help :)

I'd like to thank you all for your assistance and expertise and the time you've taken to write to me. I'm grateful to all of you :)

Bought it just now via Amazon... Lets see. I will make a review.

How much did you buy it for? And a review would be awesome :) I won't be getting it until 1st week of December :|

How much did you buy it for? And a review would be awesome :) I won't be getting it until 1st week of December :|

Well, on Amazon.de (here in Germany) the price is pending between 415 - 430 €. I wanted to have it delivered on Saturday, so i bought it on Thursday.

Galaxy S2 on Amazon.de....

A review comes later.

they finaly updated my Samsung Galaxy S to 2.3.5 ginderbread. guess have to wait for honeycomb :P

Not gonna happen, AFAIK HoneyComb (Android 3.0) is a Tablet-exclusive OS. Ice Cream Sandwitch (Android 4.0) on the other hand will support both Tablets and Superphones ("smart" is no longer adequate to describe them lol).

Archived