Programs not preserving last access timestamps

spasserfan

Since there is quite a few using Ultimatedefrag and systemboosterXP, where this option is needed to use all the options in these programs (and others), I decided to start this topic to make it easier to identify programs that might cause a decreasing efficiency of that type of applications.

Feel free to post a link to this topic in any thread about programs using this feature.

To keep this thread short Please only post if you have a program to add to the list or if you have another method to test if a program is preserving last access timestamps or not

How did I test it? I read this from disktrix about systemboosterXP:

(...)

My flist.db file is greater than 4 Mb - sometimes as big as 30 Mb.

If your flist.db grows to sizes greater than 4 Mb than you should reduce the Days Last Accessed setting. If that doesn't change the size of the flist.db and it is still large then either an antivirus program or indexing program such as Google Desktop Search is updating your last accessed date. Microsoft's recommended policies for programs changing the last access date implies that these programs should not update the last access date. It is not a "true" general use access of those files.

Since there is nothing that we can do with SystemBooster to overcome this since SystemBooster looks at last access we suggest that you use the "Custom" profile setting in SystemBooster.

(...)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 12
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
spasserfan

Total uninstall 4.8 (I don't think the new v. 4.9 has incorporated an option, but another test another time will show that)

• 2 weeks later...
spasserfan

Kaspersky AV v. 7 does not preserve last access timestamps (sorry kaspersky fans, guess you have to lobby them to incorporate this in v. 8 :unsure: ,l and by the way I am not a hardcore ESET fan :frusty:)

spasserfan

Comodo anti-virus spyware v. 2.0.17.58 BETA does not preserve last access timestamps. But this feature might be incorporated in v. 3 (next release will be a beta of v. 3)

Nice initiative spasserfan, but wouldn't it be more organized for you to just add the programs you find to the list in your first post? Just a suggestion :D How do you find these programs? You just use them and check the access time?

spasserfan
Nice initiative spasserfan, but wouldn't it be more organized for you to just add the programs you find to the list in your first post? Just a suggestion :) How do you find these programs? You just use them and check the access time?

Well I was planning to organize a little more by using categories (such as AVs), and updating the top list, but since I was the only one (so far) posting results then I just added them in a new post... But an more organized post will come, but I need to finish the guide on systemboosterXP first, and I haven't got that much time :(

I test these programs by doing this (I am writing a guide to systemboosterXP, and will post it when I get the time to finish it :():

How did I test it? I read this from disktrix about systemboosterXP:

(...)

My flist.db file is greater than 4 Mb - sometimes as big as 30 Mb.

If your flist.db grows to sizes greater than 4 Mb than you should reduce the Days Last Accessed setting. If that doesn't change the size of the flist.db and it is still large then either an antivirus program or indexing program such as Google Desktop Search is updating your last accessed date. Microsoft's recommended policies for programs changing the last access date implies that these programs should not update the last access date. It is not a "true" general use access of those files.

Since there is nothing that we can do with SystemBooster to overcome this since SystemBooster looks at last access we suggest that you use the "Custom" profile setting in SystemBooster.

(...)

By checking the size of flist.db I discovered that the old version of NOD32 (v. 2.70.39) was not preserving the timestamps (the new v. 3.0 has the option to do so). The size of flist.db was around 430 kb, then I scanned the computer with NOD32 v. 2.70.39 and did nothing else, that could have accessed the files, the next day (systemboosterXP was set to scan the data with an one day interval) the size of flist.db was grown to around 2,79 mb!. This was caused by the change of the last access timestamps.

Note: that it is not necessary to wait a day test if the size of flist.db has changed, you can just change the setting "only boost files accesed xx days ago", that way systemboosterXP will rescan and change flist.db.

It would be a lot easier to test if disktrix just released a tool to scan the last access time stamps before and after a scan with an application (or anything else that you want to know if last access timestamps are preserved by that program)

Well I was planning to organize a little more by using categories (such as AVs), and updating the top list, but since I was the only one (so far) posting results then I just added them in a new post... But an more organized post will come, but I need to finish the guide on systemboosterXP first, and I haven't got that much time :(

It would be a lot easier to test if disktrix just released a tool to scan the last access time stamps before and after a scan with an application (or anything else that you want to know if last access timestamps are preserved by that program)

Ok :( Great, writing a guide on SystemBoosterXP, i was not totally astonished with it's performance increase, since i didn't know what it would increase and how i would go about doing that. Hope your guide will explain me just that :)

• 8 months later...

Yes, same trouble i have with Kaspersky Internet Security v2009

Please any help about it...i going crazy!!!

Thank's to all

I'm sorry, but I'm new; I just joined this forum to find out more about what programs I use that potentially disable the LAT, which would effect the proficiency of my degrags using Ultimate Defrag 2008.

Is this it for the list of programs that disable the LAT?? Or am I missing another thread or post that lists more programs? I'm surprised at how hard it is to find out what programs may potentially disable the LAT by doing a simple Google search. Hopefully it's because most programs adhere to Microsoft's standard of not messing with the LAT.

Anyway, if someone can confirm for me whether or not this is all the programs that have been detected thus far, I would greatly appreciate it, as I am setting up UD2008 for the first time and trying to get it right with the help of Distrix's Help file and another file produced by spasserfan. Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Administrator

Topic Pinned.

Let see if we can get a more comprehensive list of these types of applications. Most defrag tools are effected by applications like these.

Archived