Censors battle for Manhunt 2 ban

gagquin

Censors battle for Manhunt 2 ban

British censors are seeking a judicial review to block the sale of controversial video game Manhunt 2.

Last week developer Rockstar won a hearing at the Video Appeals Committee to have a ban on the title lifted.

But the British Board of Film Classification said that decision was based on an incorrect interpretation of the

Video Recordings Act. The game was first banned in June, as was a revised version of the game which was

presented to the BBFC in October."The VAC judgement, if allowed to stand, would have fundamental implications

with regard to all the Board's decisions, including those turning upon questions of unacceptable levels of violence,

" the BBFC said in a statement. Rockstar was not immediately available for comment.

When the game was first refused certification, effectively banning it, David Cooke, director of the BBFC, said the

game featured "unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone". He added: "There is sustained and cumulative

casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game."

The title has become one of the most controversial games in recent times.

At the VAC appeal hearing, Fred Hasson, president of developer association Tiga, said he was "surprised at how

tame [the title was] compared to some very graphical scenes I've seen in other games which have received certification".

He added: "I expected it to be a lot worse... I can't believe that this has been singled out as something that is worth banning."

iNfo@

• Replies 4
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bolt_Gundam510

strange to why they would ban a game like Man Hunt 2 for being sold in England London but yet they still let the whole series of Grand Theft Auto to be sold for you have to kill and blow people and things up not including the drug secens and what ever else in the series.

strange to why they would ban a game like Man Hunt 2 for being sold in England London but yet they still let the whole series of Grand Theft Auto to be sold for you have to kill and blow people and things up not including the drug secens and what ever else in the series.

i think acts of government censorship on what games are available is unacceptable.i think adult citizens should be able to decide what games are acceptable and which are not by not buying.

i think acts of government censorship on what games are available is unacceptable.i think adult citizens should be able to decide what games are acceptable and which are not by not buying.

exactly.... time for governments to step away from censorship ans spend that money on stopping hard core drugs entering their countries...

exactly.... time for governments to step away from censorship ans spend that money on stopping hard core drugs entering their countries...

or feeding the children who don't have enough to eat or cannot afford an education.

Archived