Virus on Seagate Drives

cruelsister

Some Seagate hard drives infected with a virus have been sent to users.

Seagate said that antivirus vendor Kaspersky Lab had discovered the existence of a virus on some of its Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 hard drives.

The antivirus company identified the virus as Virus.Win32.Ruh.ah malware that can disable virus-detection software, although its prime function is to search for online game passwords and send them to a server in China.

The affected units were manufactured by a subcontractor in China, said Seagate. As soon as the company learned of the virus's existence, it stopped shipments of the hard drives from its facility.

Any units now leaving the affected factory have been cleared of the virus, while those in inventory are being reworked before being released for sale.

Seagate was unable to comment on how the virus came to be on the hard drives. An internal criminal investigation is being held into the contract manufacturer.

Seagate has advised users to clear infected units by installing the latest virus definitions for their antivirus software, while customers whose antivirus software has not yet been updated to clear the malware have been offered a free trial version of Kaspersky's antivirus software.

The news follows Seagate decision last month to settle a dispute over the labelling of its hard-drive capacity. The hard-drive maker offered some customers a five percent refund on drives bought during the last six years following a lawsuit over the definition of a gigabyte.

Yikes!

• Replies 12
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again more proof we should be extremely careful when we see that "Made in China label" I t IS more than just a few rotten apples so to speak as we are daily seeing bad things happen from that country...and this is not even meantioning that countries human rights abuses ;)

Once again more proof we should be extremely careful when we see that "Made in China label" I t IS more than just a few rotten apples so to speak as we are daily seeing bad things happen from that country...and this is not even meantioning that countries human rights abuses ;)

im waiting for lead paint in the cloths. the orginal story also talk aobut ipod having a win virus on some of them.

if you did format or format \u both should gotten rid of the virus. or are these preformated dirves with their special oem software on it already?

i dont want to appear racist;however,a lot of torrents that are spam on the pirate have chinese origins.

• Administrator

What is the source of this information?

News items without a source are usually deleted (due to copyright issues).

Once again more proof we should be extremely careful when we see that "Made in China label" I t IS more than just a few rotten apples so to speak as we are daily seeing bad things happen from that country...and this is not even meantioning that countries human rights abuses :welcome:

:welcome: couldn't agree more my friend,you only have to look at recent events with mattel having to withdraw 9 million chinese made toys due to high levels of lead to realise that this is a government who couldn't care less about standards or human rights...

:P communism really works does it........................................

Bolt_Gundam510

well if every thing goes right i wont have a hard drive like that but a good one with at least 320 gigs or 500gigs witch ever that i need for what i am about to do with in the next few months or so.

Ive been to China last october for an international event. Ive seen many weird things behind the tourist trap. The fraction between generation feel strange. The old generation work tirelessly for the state goal or simply to survive and the new generation refuse to embrace that philosophy. So there is palpable dissension between the governement and the new generation. But there is a bigger dissension between older and younger generation, wich have no precedent, cause we all know that Chineses respect the elder WAY better than we do in north america. To welcome us at that international event, the streets of Shangai was filled with banner of greetings and support but in smaller area banner were saying (work hard to be a good host) So some work are done in result of fear instead of being proud. Chineses do 1 thing and they do it right and fast but they just cant improvise when a problem occur since initiative is strongly disapproved. One time we went to a restaurant, 8 of us. That small restaurant was not used to receive large group, and we were nort-american on top of that... So the waitress didnt have a 8 persons table so she told us to wait while she go ask her boss what to do. Meanwhile as arrogant north-american we just step in the restaurant and get 3 tables together to make it fit... So when she comes back with his boss, you shouldve see her face... PRICELESS hahahahha Its like it was the end of the world. Chineses just discovered 2 weeks of holidays and credit cards, imagine when all of the 20 millions chineses in shangai wants a car... In beijing there is 2000 cars more every DAY... Overall we were well received in China and everybody was polite and smile all the time, wich gets on my nerve. Later on i learned that Chinese people refrain most of their emotion because showing your anger for exemple is showing no self-control, the only emotion they always show is smiling even when they are mad lol. Since showing your emotion is not comon, crusing a girl in a bar is like opening yourself to a life engagement.

Anyway as i always say when we discuss politics : Communist is good on paper, human nature make it worse

I believe that Churchill said : Democratic is not the best governement its the less worse (or something like that).

Interesting reads. Post more ^^

I agree with 3NIGM4 though. Most of the emotions tourists see are fake and they try hard to tka ethe pennis from yoru pocket. Since 1 day of our work pay is like 1 month of theirs :)

• 4 weeks later...

virus :unsure:

i have an seagate hd, its roguhly a year old, will i have this so called "virus?"

how would i know if i have it?

currently eset SS installed, evrything comes back clean?

3200? speed of hd? think mines higher then that "not sure though..."

virus ;)

i have an seagate hd, its roguhly a year old, will i have this so called "virus?"

how would i know if i have it?

currently eset SS installed, evrything comes back clean?

3200? speed of hd? think mines higher then that "not sure though..."

it was the ones sold in summer of 2007. these externals harddrive came preformated.

Archived