drm killing pc gaming

dock98

Digital Rights management, also known as DRM, is single handedly destroying PC Gaming as we know it.

In the industry there is an ongoing battle between the gaming makers and the pirates,

and the casualty in this battle is the end user. Take the latest in the gigantic Sims 2 expansion, Bon Voyage,

the disk that contains your game also contains Sony's SecuROM,

reportedly this has been crippling computers all over the place.

SecuROM has been reported to disabled your CD/DVD Burner software, your optical drive itself, printers, cameras,

and even crashes the PC outright. The theory is that ANYTHING that can get media off your PC is the enemy of this DRM.

Now here is the kicker, and here is why we, the consumer lose. In less than 24 hours after the game was released,

pirates had cracked the SecuROM and offered it online for all to download.

Full Article

• Replies 18
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn man. I really don't understand why companies even bother with these "protection schemes". All they do is 1. Harm themselves by setting their own asses up to be sued and lose money (sony cd rootkits anyone?) and 2. The protection will always be immediately cracked by pirates. So why do they even bother anymore? Im sure they would save alot of money if they weren't putting their money into making new "protection schemes". Oh well, I guess it atleasts gives the pirates something to do for 4-6 hours. ;)

It's Sony. What you expect?

Damn man. I really don't understand why companies even bother with these "protection schemes". All they do is 1. Harm themselves by setting their own asses up to be sued and lose money (sony cd rootkits anyone?) and 2. The protection will always be immediately cracked by pirates. So why do they even bother anymore? Im sure they would save alot of money if they weren't putting their money into making new "protection schemes". Oh well, I guess it atleasts gives the pirates something to do for 4-6 hours. :fool:

jesse james once said" if they paid me the money they spend to keep me from robbing them,i would quit robbing them".did u think these big companies r gonna give up.part of there infrastructure is combating this,if not they wouldnt exist.its a money thing.

And what about other companies ? It's not the sony only making game prots.

I think the worst prot is SecuROM coz it's adding registry key which is undeletable ;/

But new StarForce (or SafeDisc - I don't remember which one) is also anoying ;/

I think game companies must be mad now because "uncrackable" secuROM is cracked mostly in 24 hours :fool:

And what about other companies ? It's not the sony only making game prots.

I think the worst prot is SecuROM coz it's adding registry key which is undeletable ;/

But new StarForce (or SafeDisc - I don't remember which one) is also anoying ;/

I think game companies must be mad now because "uncrackable" secuROM is cracked mostly in 24 hours :fool:

they should be require to put on the box the copy protection. that way the buyer can judge if he or she wants that crap on it.

if i like a newsgroup gotten program then i will buy the box for support. but i almost never install the box version. too much crap

• 2 weeks later...

:) its what you expect from sony,they really are one of the most arrogant companies in the world you only have to look at the shambles that is the ps3,they had so much success with the ps1 and ps2 that they assumed that people would just fork out £500 for a pretty poor console,lets face it how many people out there bought a ps3 for its blu ray capability i suspect not very many but with sony's arrogance they forgot it was essentialy a games console and assumed people would buy a polished turd in a box :)

;) its what you expect from sony,they really are one of the most arrogant companies in the world you only have to look at the shambles that is the ps3,they had so much success with the ps1 and ps2 that they assumed that people would just fork out £500 for a pretty poor console,lets face it how many people out there bought a ps3 for its blu ray capability i suspect not very many but with sony's arrogance they forgot it was essentialy a games console and assumed people would buy a polished turd in a box ;)

Hmm what do we expect from sony ? Maybe u should think without sony u probably wasn't be using DVD's... They make a lot of good things - I think we need to blame SecuROM part of SONY because not all sony workers are working on securom :)

They got so many divisions that probably ppl from one department even don't know who makes securom ;) They just too big I think :)

And about PS3 - it's an off-top :) But I hope mods will not warn me because of it :)

Blu-ray is standard of future and without those morons in MS we all would be using one standard like dvd's right now :) I'm not fanboy of Sony but from the beggining of the war MS vs Sony, MS introduced the worst practicies in industry;/

I hope blu-ray wins, even if sony will make another better standard :D

Bolt_Gundam510
Im sure they would save alot of money if they weren't putting their money into making new "protection schemes". Oh well, I guess it atleasts gives the pirates something to do for 4-6 hours. ;)

more than you know MasterRipper more than you know. they did a story on this one hacker they sat him in a room and they sit up a fake AOL Account and told him to hack it. well it took him if i can still remember 5 to 10 minutes.

if the pirates went to work for the software companies we would have a big problem

heres my philisophy: try before you buy

try a full version of the software, if you like it and you cant live without it, go and buy the box as support of the company

:welcome: its what you expect from sony,they really are one of the most arrogant companies in the world you only have to look at the shambles that is the ps3,they had so much success with the ps1 and ps2 that they assumed that people would just fork out £500 for a pretty poor console,lets face it how many people out there bought a ps3 for its blu ray capability i suspect not very many but with sony's arrogance they forgot it was essentialy a games console and assumed people would buy a polished turd in a box :)

Hmm what do we expect from sony ? Maybe u should think without sony u probably wasn't be using DVD's... They make a lot of good things - I think we need to blame SecuROM part of SONY because not all sony workers are working on securom :)

They got so many divisions that probably ppl from one department even don't know who makes securom ;) They just too big I think :)

And about PS3 - it's an off-top :) But I hope mods will not warn me because of it :)

Blu-ray is standard of future and without those morons in MS we all would be using one standard like dvd's right now :) I'm not fanboy of Sony but from the beggining of the war MS vs Sony, MS introduced the worst practicies in industry;/

I hope blu-ray wins, even if sony will make another better standard :D

:) well i guess what i expect from sony is a higher standard of build quality(ms are just as bad)i've gone through 5 ps2's in the space of 3 years and 2 sony dvd players in about the same amount of time,so naturally i've stopped buying there products due to the poor build quality although i haven't got round to buying a 360 yet due to the 3 red lights of death.

and with regard to blu ray i can see it becoming another betamax as it seems more hollywood studios are chooseing hd dvd over blu ray. :)

:welcome: its what you expect from sony,they really are one of the most arrogant companies in the world you only have to look at the shambles that is the ps3,they had so much success with the ps1 and ps2 that they assumed that people would just fork out £500 for a pretty poor console,lets face it how many people out there bought a ps3 for its blu ray capability i suspect not very many but with sony's arrogance they forgot it was essentialy a games console and assumed people would buy a polished turd in a box :)

i dont know of a company on their level that isn't.

and with regard to blu ray i can see it becoming another betamax as it seems more hollywood studios are chooseing hd dvd over blu ray. smile.gif

Im working in the entertainment industry, and we use Beta format everyday. The format is WAY better than VHS and is better than DVD at the moment for playback and record. The company who own the right of the most popular format always have an edge on players afterwards but im getting sick the so-called BRAND NEW BETTER FORMAT, its just a rip off to make people buy multiple time the same content as if hollywood movies wasnt enough of the same thing...

and with regard to blu ray i can see it becoming another betamax as it seems more hollywood studios are chooseing hd dvd over blu ray. smile.gif

Im working in the entertainment industry, and we use Beta format everyday. The format is WAY better than VHS and is better than DVD at the moment for playback and record. The company who own the right of the most popular format always have an edge on players afterwards but im getting sick the so-called BRAND NEW BETTER FORMAT, its just a rip off to make people buy multiple time the same content as if hollywood movies wasnt enough of the same thing...

:( totally agree mate i always thought betamax was a much better format than vhs but as you say the company who owns the most popular format wins,i always prefered lazer disc to dvd but thats just my own preferance.

It also pisses me off that these companys expect people to just go out and replace there dvd collections with hd or bluray,now if you have a large dvd collection thats going to be one expensive hobby i really cant see myself jumping on the hd dvd/bluray bandwagon for quite some time. :lol:

gave up saving anything on tape,disk or any medium other than a usb flash disk.most all tvs and other entertainment devises have a slot for them and they dont wear down as fast as other medium.

Bolt_Gundam510
most all tvs and other entertainment devises have a slot for them and they dont wear down as fast as other medium.

that's true, but what about if some one creates a virus and you plug the flash drive to your tv or something that virus then destroys your tv. some times going better is not all ways better till something can be done about the bad side of something first.

• 2 weeks later...
Digital Rights management, also known as DRM, is single handedly destroying PC Gaming as we know it.

I wouldn't be that harsh; sure DRM makes life a hell to the ordinary user until he wises up and doesn't buy original games any more or stops playing altogether. My take is that after a couple of years cat and mouse game the industry will eventually quit offering protected games just like they are beginning to ship DRM free MP3s now.

Bolt_Gundam510

to ship DRM free MP3s now.

they are? wow i didn't know, been working to hard for the christmas shipping season here at work. will get back into the P2P world after the christmas shipping season. boy i have so much catching up to do in the P2P world that i do.

to ship DRM free MP3s now.

they are? wow i didn't know, been working to hard for the christmas shipping season here at work. will get back into the P2P world after the christmas shipping season. boy i have so much catching up to do in the P2P world that i do.

http://://://://www.google.ro/search?hl=ro&am...ng_de%7Clang_ro

don`t spend too much time working you won`t have any left to make money :smartass:

Archived