100 Gb/s Internet2 completed

Zeus_Hunt

At its Fall 2007 member meeting, the Internet 2 consortium announced that its updated infrastructure is ready to go online and provide an initial capacity of 100 Gb/s to researchers and educators.

The blazingly fast network connection was demonstrated for the first time when the organization established a connection between the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) and Fermilab in Batavia, IL and was able to transfer a third of a terabyte within five minutes over a 10 GB/s connection.

Internet 2 is often confused with a next-generation Internet infrastructure for the public. However, the Internet 2 is limited to currently 207 connected universities that use the high-speed network as infrastructure to quickly exchange data and test new technologies that one day could find their way into the public Internet.

12 years after the unveiling of the idea for the Internet 2 – the concept dates back to a presentation at the Monterey Futures Conference in September 1995, the Internet 2 has reached an initial capacity of 100 GB/s, which can be provided to researchers and educators in dedicated bandwidth chunks of 10 Gb/s beginning in January of next year. According to the consortium, the new optical infrastructure provides a “uniquely scalable platform on which to build side-by-side networks that serve different purposes, such as network research and telemedicine.” Representatives for Internet2 said that the network will be continuing to provide an advanced Internet Protocol (IP) Network that supports production networking technologies such as IPv6, multicast, and other high-performance networking technologies.

"Today's milestone marks the completion of an ambitious effort to exponentially increase the capacity and flexibility of the networking resources available to serve the rapidly changing needs of the Internet2 community," said Doug Van Houweling, Internet2 president and CEO. "More importantly, we believe the Internet2 Network and its new capabilities will play an integral part in enabling our members to provide the robust cyber-infrastructure our community requires to support innovative research and education."

Internet2 currently has provisioned ten 10 Gb/s links on each segment of the network, which however can be scaled to 20 or 40 or 100 or more wavelengths. The consortium is also working with partners such as Level 3, Ciena and Juniper to test and develop new 40 and 100 Gb/s technologies.

i2_map_425.jpg

viewpo0.gifView: Original Article

• Replies 11
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only daydream about the days that this will be usable by the public. It probably wont be released for public until we actually need an internet that fast were all file sizes are in terabytes.

some countries already use IPv6 for the public, which is what the internet2 is based on. it's no where near the speeds mentioned here, obviously, but the protocol is perfectly capable of handling it :P

Korea, China, Sweden and a few other EU nations come to mind...

btw, the internet2 switch in jacksonville, fl is only a few blocks from my house. i'll go take some pics for you guys in a few days if i can find my digi...

some countries already use IPv6 for the public, which is what the internet2 is based on. it's no where near the speeds mentioned here, obviously, but the protocol is perfectly capable of handling it :P

Romania not??? :blink: anyway, this kinda connection would be useless 2 me since my harddisk is somewhere between 12-17 mb/s :P

Interesting article. It doesn't say if this is based on the current DSL wiring, which I'm assuming it is... or something more expensive such as fibre optic. That being said I do wonder how this would compare to fibre optical wiring. Which speeds would be better, which line could handle more users and possibly which one would be more likely to appear in the near future in a cost effective manner.

I think the majority of people here know that fibre optic cabling in countries such as Japan and Korea are only able to do so because of the high density populations of each indvidual county. So this does seem highly unlikely that the US would go down this road, unless it was on a "per city" basis such as New York or Los Angeles. Perhaps if this was the case, in a few years... cities could end up being connected after offering fibre for a time to recoup the money that was originally spent on infrastructure and so forth.

some countries already use IPv6 for the public, which is what the internet2 is based on. it's no where near the speeds mentioned here, obviously, but the protocol is perfectly capable of handling it :)

btw, the internet2 switch in jacksonville, fl is only a few blocks from my house. i'll go take some pics for you guys in a few days if i can find my digi...

Sweden :):D, what you mean... I know no change in internet/speed?

some countries already use IPv6 for the public, which is what the internet2 is based on. it's no where near the speeds mentioned here, obviously, but the protocol is perfectly capable of handling it :)

Sweden :bong::D, what you mean... I know no change in internet/speed?

Liar!! :)

My buddy lives in Malmo and he's been on 100MB Download / 10MB Upload for the last 8 months at least. Kicks my butt whenever we play online haha.

Ahh you meant 100mbit fiber optic broadband... that have been around very long now so I didn't knew what you meant :P

It's only if you live in the city and not like me... lives 30km from Malmo.

Interesting article. It doesn't say if this is based on the current DSL wiring, which I'm assuming it is... or something more expensive such as fibre optic. That being said I do wonder how this would compare to fibre optical wiring. Which speeds would be better, which line could handle more users and possibly which one would be more likely to appear in the near future in a cost effective manner.

it's fiber optic, they just use a brighter light or something :blink:

http://www.internet2.edu/network/dc/

@Anteus - it's a small network atm, but my old PRQ server was hooked up to it for various reasons :P

My buddy lives in Malmo and he's been on 100MB Download / 10MB Upload for the last 8 months at least. Kicks my butt whenever we play online haha.

hmmm a 1000 gb of crap one could download in 24 hours on newsgroups hmmmm

Bolt_Gundam510

i still don't have brad band in my area they wont put it in for some reason, i posted one about Wal-Mart thinking about getting into the ISP market in the world news section.

Archived