Windows recognizes Headphones as Speakers?

UberNoob

Hey guys,

Anyone know why Windows 7 may recognize high definition headphones as high def speakers?

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, and connecting my Sennheiser HD 555 to the back panel green jack plug. This is really frustrating as it takes away vital sound components that can only be delivered via 5.1 surround speakers, and it is really affecting my Battlefield Bad Company 2 experience :(

My motherboard if you need it: Asus P5KE-WiFi

Thanks in advance

• Replies 6
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say to double check your sound configuration. If your sound card with own management software- that will be mis-configured.

Else, just go to computer properties, uninstall sound driver completely, restart pc, let drivers find itself and see settings for sound then

Well you only have one jack for the Senns, yes? Just connect it to the Headphone slot (red one maybe, should have a little engraving with a small headphone icon). This way it will downmix the 5.1, 7.1 etc. sources to stereo. You will still, of course, loose any positioning that you might expect in games and such effects.

Since you have it connected to the green slot (this is for Front Speakers I think), you can only hear what it's sent to them, losing the back/side/sub etc.

Well you only have one jack for the Senns, yes? Just connect it to the Headphone slot (red one maybe, should have a little engraving with a small headphone icon). This way it will downmix the 5.1, 7.1 etc. sources to stereo. You will still, of course, loose any positioning that you might expect in games and such effects.

Since you have it connected to the green slot (this is for Front Speakers I think), you can only hear what it's sent to them, losing the back/side/sub etc.

yes the Senns only has one quarter inch jack connected to a 3.5 mm adapter that it came with. If a mix-amp would solve this issue, would it work with my current setup? i.e connect the surround audio leads from my pc to the mix-amp, then plugging my Senns into the mix-amp? will this work? if so, can you recommend a mix-amp?

cheers toyo

I'd say to double check your sound configuration. If your sound card with own management software- that will be mis-configured.

Else, just go to computer properties, uninstall sound driver completely, restart pc, let drivers find itself and see settings for sound then

I've tried that Atasas, btw, my front panel headphone jack (the one with the little symbol) is non-operational, but that wouldn't work anyway, as that only transmits left and right, like toyo posted.

...I read again and you plugged in to speaker output, have no HD sound card or phone output(apart from speaker)? then in the game settings change configuration to Stereo only- all sound will be Stereo and that's it :mellow:

You got it wrong: both the Headphone and the Front (green) jacks output Stereo (L+R). But the Headphone jack will output a downmixed version of multichannel sound sources (so it will contain everything in the mix), and the Front jack will output only the Front Left and Front Right channels.

No need for fancy stuff only for what you want. The onboard Realtek will downsample and downmix whatever multichannel sound sources you might play.

- set Windows to output Stereo in the Realtek driver and in Control Panel>Sound

- plug the Senns to the headphone jack. Leave the multichannel Green jack alone.

Now, for the moment, use the Headphone minijack from the back, the cable should be long enough. To make the front Headphone jack on the front panel operational, you will need to make sure your computer case has that small board that should contain USB, Mic and Headphone is properly connected to the motherboard. In the motherboard manual you should find where the connection should be made.

You got it wrong: both the Headphone and the Front (green) jacks output Stereo (L+R). But the Headphone jack will output a downmixed version of multichannel sound sources (so it will contain everything in the mix), and the Front jack will output only the Front Left and Front Right channels.

No need for fancy stuff only for what you want. The onboard Realtek will downsample and downmix whatever multichannel sound sources you might play.

- set Windows to output Stereo in the Realtek driver and in Control Panel>Sound

- plug the Senns to the headphone jack. Leave the multichannel Green jack alone.

Now, for the moment, use the Headphone minijack from the back, the cable should be long enough. To make the front Headphone jack on the front panel operational, you will need to make sure your computer case has that small board that should contain USB, Mic and Headphone is properly connected to the motherboard. In the motherboard manual you should find where the connection should be made.

thank you! worked like a charm.. I am getting directional sound now it seems :win:

Archived