Please read the following announcement about thanks posts and their replacement; the like / thanks button.

Welcome to nsane.forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to nsane.forums, like most online communities you need to register to view parts of our community or to make contributions, but don't worry: this is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of nsane.forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Access special members only forums
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How To Configure Diskeeper

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#41 DKT27

DKT27

ViP Member

• Moderators
  • 19,839 posts
  • Interests:Softwares,
    gaming and
    security.

• India

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

Yes I have system restore totally turned off.

About the options, I don't remember how I had set it for the v2010, but right now I've set it to default standard defrag method.

NSANEDOWN-Portal_SC.png

See a thread or a post that needs moderator attention? Report it.

#42 shajt

shajt

ViP Member

• ViP
  • 1,577 posts

• Blank

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

Okay, well, that's that.

I guess I will have to choose between having System Restore with I-FAAST disabled or vice versa.
I'm the chief of all chiefs, the Don of all dons. The boss of all bosses, the fuckin warlord. The grand wizard of bars. When I die, my tombstone'll read "He was The one and only, Infamous, notorious"

#43 DKT27

DKT27

ViP Member

• Moderators
  • 19,839 posts
    gaming and
    security.

• India

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

I guess I-FAAST is important if you want your HDD to be faster. I believe in very simple words I-FAAST means it arranges most used files on the outer parts and least used in the inner parts.

NSANEDOWN-Portal_SC.png

#44 shajt

shajt

ViP Member

• ViP
  • 1,577 posts

• Blank

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

You're right.
But I wonder will I ever notice that extra speed :)

I mean, that feature might be useful with some old hard drives, but with latest ultra fast models with 32MB of cache in it ... :unsure:

I guess I'll choose having System Restore ON rather than I-FAAST.
I'm the chief of all chiefs, the Don of all dons. The boss of all bosses, the fuckin warlord. The grand wizard of bars. When I die, my tombstone'll read "He was The one and only, Infamous, notorious"

#45 DKT27

DKT27

ViP Member

• Moderators
  • 19,839 posts
    gaming and
    security.

• India

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

I'm not saying that you should not use System Restore. But HDD is the biggest bottleneck on the system these days. And optimizing most important files on the outer side does help (as the help says, about 20-30% speed average and upto 90% increase). So yes, it does help. But it's best to do what's preferable the most. ^_^

NSANEDOWN-Portal_SC.png

#46 shajt

shajt

ViP Member

• ViP
  • 1,577 posts

• Blank

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

To be honest, I don't even use System Restore , I mean, it was always ON , but I didn't used it (reverted back to earlier restore point in case of disaster).
But the thing is ... you never know when you might need it.

But now I'm curious and I'll turn it OFF in order to enable I-FAAST , then I'll reevaluate after cpl of weeks.

#47 shajt

shajt

ViP Member

• ViP
  • 1,577 posts

• Blank

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

Just to confirm that now that I've turned OFF Sys.restore and changed VSS settings back to default (standard defrag) , I-FAAST is now enabled.
Well Status for it is on 'Disabled' for now , because it needs about a week to collect data, but I can enable it now in Properties.
But I'll leave it on Auto and let DK decide whether to enable that feature or not.

#48 DKT27

DKT27

ViP Member

• Moderators
  • 19,839 posts
    gaming and
    security.

• India

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

ATM even mine is at disabled. But as I said, it took a week or less for it to get enabled. And about a month after it started optimizing the files properly. I keep an eye on the files via Ultimate Defrag, and at that time, it moved all my files to the outer side first, and slowly slowly started arranging them.

NSANEDOWN-Portal_SC.png

#49 anuraag

anuraag

ViP Member

• Staff
  • 7,128 posts

• India

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

Note: when the “Efficient” Automatic Defragmentation option is enabled, the I-FAAST engine will not run unless you select the “Always enable I-FAAST” option.

Posted Image

#50 DKT27

DKT27

ViP Member

• Moderators
  • 19,839 posts
    gaming and
    security.

• India

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:05 PM

Note: when the "Efficient" Automatic Defragmentation option is enabled, the I-FAAST engine will not run unless you select the "Always enable I-FAAST" option.

Thanks for the info. I missed that part. :)

So yea, I've enabled I-FAAST on all the drives (DK 2010 automatically did that so no worries if I force it) except the "System Reserved".

NSANEDOWN-Portal_SC.png

#51 KotaXor

KotaXor

ViP Member

• Veteran
  • 3,066 posts

• Blank

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:34 AM

Nice touch everyone!
I realize you need to let Diskeeper run for a few weeks before you can see any results.

ENJOY!

Everyone starts out a noob......
Some just can't get out of the trend.

There's no stupid people but only lazy people......

If the world ends today.....its OK.......cause its tomorrow where I am.

Posted Image

#52 shajt

shajt

ViP Member

• ViP
  • 1,577 posts

• Blank

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

Note: when the "Efficient" Automatic Defragmentation option is enabled, the I-FAAST engine will not run unless you select the "Always enable I-FAAST" option.

Thanks for the info. I missed that part. :)

So yea, I've enabled I-FAAST on all the drives (DK 2010 automatically did that so no worries if I force it) except the "System Reserved".

Yeah, thanks for that info, I missed that too.
So, in reality, if I-FAAST is set on "Auto" , it will not be enabled even after a week , if "Efficient" option is enabled ?

I'll set I-FAAST on "Always enable" instead of "Auto"

#53 anuraag

anuraag

ViP Member

• Staff
  • 7,128 posts

• India

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

So, in reality, if I-FAAST is set on "Auto" , it will not be enabled even after a week , if "Efficient" option is enabled ?

yes
Posted Image

#54 manu

manu

ViP Member

• ViP
  • 1,731 posts

• Blank

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:00 PM

strange in my laptop i faast is on auto with efficient defrag + consolidate all directories on

i fasst was activated 4 hrs after installation of enterprise server 2011 except on d drive which is completely empty

i have 500 gb portable harddrive (only 24 gb empty) i faast was also enabled on it

using windows 7 sp1 x86

#55 shajt

shajt

ViP Member

• ViP
  • 1,577 posts

• Blank

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

strange in my laptop i faast is on auto with efficient defrag + consolidate all directories on

i fasst was activated 4 hrs after installation of enterprise server 2011 except on d drive which is completely empty

i have 500 gb portable harddrive (only 24 gb empty) i faast was also enabled on it

using windows 7 sp1 x86

But you can't enable "Consolidate all directories" if you are on "Efficient" :mellow:

Are you sure you are on "Efficient" ?
If you can, post a picture with both settings enabled.

#56 Pirri

Pirri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

• Spain

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

which one is better? pro premier or enterprise server

Pro Premier for home use, Enteprise Server version is for Server Computers! Stick with Pro Premier!

So . . . . . . . . . . . . according to you what are the ill-effects when one uses EnterpriseServer on one's system instead of Pro Premier - mind you, I've got both (EnterpriseServer and Pro Premier, as well) running on 2 different systems. Look forward to some scientific facts in your response. ;)

Before any word can be write: I want to thank you for your very hard efford on making this tutorial. I'm glad, most options I've checked agree with yours but was necesary someone make a tutorial to be sure and you did it for all of us.

I use Pro Premier version and now I want to install the EnterpriseServer version but I can't found it on DK website and in nSane for download. Where can I get it? Can you put a link to it?... and... also... I can't find the medicine for that version. Please... can someone share it through 'mediafire' 'megaupload' or similar. I'lll be very grateful because I'm happy with DK 2011... really it speed my PC.

Best regards to you and all nSaners!!!;)...;)...

Proverbs 27:11
Be wise, my son, and bring joy to my heart; then I can answer anyone who treats me with contempt.

#57 DKT27

DKT27

ViP Member

• Moderators
  • 19,839 posts
    gaming and
    security.

• India

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

@manu: As shajt mentioned, I doubt you can enable consolidate when set to efficient.

@Pirri: Enterprise Server (x32/x64):
http://downloads.diskeeper.com/trial/Diskeeper2011_EnterpriseServer.exe

For the patch for ES, go here. First post. ;)

NSANEDOWN-Portal_SC.png

#58 Pirri

Pirri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

• Spain

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

@manu: As shajt mentioned, I doubt you can enable consolidate when set to efficient.

@Pirri: Enterprise Server (x32/x64):

http://downloads.diskeeper.com/trial/Diskeeper2011_EnterpriseServer.exe

For the patch for ES, go here. First post. ;)

Thank you very much for your FAST answer!!!

I appreciate it so much...:dance2:...:dance2:

Best regards to ALL @ nSane. ;)...;).

Proverbs 27:11
Be wise, my son, and bring joy to my heart; then I can answer anyone who treats me with contempt.

#59 shajt

shajt

ViP Member

• ViP
  • 1,577 posts

• Blank

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

@dkt27 , yes, I can confirm it, did some testing in VM and most def. you can't enable consolidate with efficient.
With i-faast set on Auto , if efficient is enabled, status of i-faast is disabled.
When you switch from efficient to Extensive , then you can enable Consolidate , and after that status of i-faast goes to Enabled automatically.

btw right now I'm very very satisfied with DK , I can feel that system is running smoother.
Only thing I'm not sure about is boot time defrag , should I run it or not.
I guess if that's needed it would appear in recommendations.

#60 DKT27

DKT27

ViP Member

• Moderators
  • 19,839 posts
    gaming and
    security.

• India

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

@Pirri: You're welcome. :)

@shajt: Thanks for the confirmation. I'll prefer efficient method. I believe it will keep the unwanted hard drive usage less, hence, more life.

About boot-time defrag. I had tried it in DK 2010 and somehow it never worked. :blink: And it doesn't offer many options. That's why I prefer Ultimate Defrags's boot time defrag. It's very customizable and trustable.

NSANEDOWN-Portal_SC.png