How To Configure Diskeeper

*dcs18

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Views 22.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder whether the newer DK kills system restore points or not? Cos the older versions wiped off all my system restore points... Intelliwrite seemed to fragment free space...

I wonder whether the newer DK kills system restore points or not? Cos the older versions wiped off all my system restore points... Intelliwrite seemed to fragment free space...

If there is a Volume Shadow Copy on your partition, DK has a special defragmentation i.e I-FAAST on that partition will be disable, and something more. :)

• 2 months later...

It kills them , and I'm very pissed about that :frusty:

I hope that it does that only one time while installing or something and that it will not do that with future restore points.

Okay, why is I-FAAST unavailable ?

capturevcv.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine is WinXP Pro SP3 ( x86) and I-FAAST is enabled .( DK Enterprise Server )

Have you tried --» Properties / I-FAAST / ( and Check) - Always enable I-FAAST ?

...........................................................................................

3 options are available :-

1) - Allow Diskeeper to enable and disable I-FAAST when beneficial (recommend) ;

2) - Always enable I-FAAST ;

3) - Always disable I-FAAST.

Doesn`t show here ( mine ) "unvailable"...

I use Restore Point --»"Turn off"...

Yeah , I know , but I can't change that.

Win7 x86, DK Enterprise Server

capturesni.jpg

Maybe it needs time, there's no even 24hrs since I first installed it , I think I saw somewhere that it needs one week to gather performance data or something.

Maybe that's why it's like this, I don't know atm.

• Administrator

There's an answer for the both. :)

About restore point, did you see VSS (volume shadow copy service) options in the main Diskeeper options? Maybe that can help?

And about I-FAAST, I believe it takes about a week of monitoring by Diskeeper to enable it. Yes I assure you, it will start working in a week or so. ATM it's just looking at the performance increase, in a week later, it will start using it. Make sure you do NOT uninstall-reinstall Diskeeper cause it will lose all the I-FAAST data. But if you really want I-FAAST and cannot wait, just right click a drive and select I-FAAST, there select "Always enable I-FAAST". ^_^

EDIT: I see. I guess yes, best to wait for next 24 hours.

Yeah, I guess that too , Estimated Performance is on Pending.

That might be related to that.

I'll leave everything as it is for now.

Only options that I have changed are automatic updates (this was unchecked by default) and news about upgrades (that was checked by default).

Then later after Automatic defrag finished , only thing in recommendations was to change VSS options from standard to VSS defrag.

And then I changed that too.

Now recommendations for both drives are green and everything is OK.

OK, I turned ON--» System Restore and nothing changed after having done a reboot . Everything is enabled except : -

- Boot time defragmentation and Hyperfast.

Hope everything works fine for you. It would be a big frustration if after the hard work you had now some functions could not work. :frusty:

Well, I googled a little and it seems that if you turn on VSS defrag then I-FAAST is disabled.

Info here

IF I enable the special VSS defragmentation method in Diskeeper I-Faast turns itself automatically off.

Well, yes, it's VSS related for sure.

Found another one :

I noticed that restore points seem to work better with my fresh install of Vista. Then I also noticed that IFAAST in Diskeeper no longer works on my system/boot drive. Turns out that its disabled when VSS is present. So apparently my early install of Vista didn't use VSS to create restore points, or I must have some how (unwittingly) turned off System Restore (which automatically deletes all restore points). But for my second virtual disk drive, IFAAST is not disabled, and VSS is not running. So this would influence the choice of whether or not to have more than one virtual disk for a Vista VM that is running Diskeeper. Its a case where one virtual hard disk would not be sufficient (not sure about separate partitions here).

The only way around this is to have cluster sized 16KB or bigger, and I don't think Vista can install on a drive with clusters that large. I'm also uncertain at to whether a larger cluster size would conflict with 2GB splits.

This is too bad, because IFAAST really seemed to work (over a long period of time), but giving up on system restore points would be a foolish thing to.

• Administrator

Yes I have system restore totally turned off.

About the options, I don't remember how I had set it for the v2010, but right now I've set it to default standard defrag method.

Okay, well, that's that.

I guess I will have to choose between having System Restore with I-FAAST disabled or vice versa.

• Administrator

I guess I-FAAST is important if you want your HDD to be faster. I believe in very simple words I-FAAST means it arranges most used files on the outer parts and least used in the inner parts.

You're right.

But I wonder will I ever notice that extra speed :)

I mean, that feature might be useful with some old hard drives, but with latest ultra fast models with 32MB of cache in it ... :unsure:

I guess I'll choose having System Restore ON rather than I-FAAST.

• Administrator

I'm not saying that you should not use System Restore. But HDD is the biggest bottleneck on the system these days. And optimizing most important files on the outer side does help (as the help says, about 20-30% speed average and upto 90% increase). So yes, it does help. But it's best to do what's preferable the most. ^_^

To be honest, I don't even use System Restore , I mean, it was always ON , but I didn't used it (reverted back to earlier restore point in case of disaster).

But the thing is ... you never know when you might need it.

But now I'm curious and I'll turn it OFF in order to enable I-FAAST , then I'll reevaluate after cpl of weeks.

Just to confirm that now that I've turned OFF Sys.restore and changed VSS settings back to default (standard defrag) , I-FAAST is now enabled.

Well Status for it is on 'Disabled' for now , because it needs about a week to collect data, but I can enable it now in Properties.

But I'll leave it on Auto and let DK decide whether to enable that feature or not.

• Administrator

ATM even mine is at disabled. But as I said, it took a week or less for it to get enabled. And about a month after it started optimizing the files properly. I keep an eye on the files via Ultimate Defrag, and at that time, it moved all my files to the outer side first, and slowly slowly started arranging them.

Note: when the “Efficient” Automatic Defragmentation option is enabled, the I-FAAST engine will not run unless you select the “Always enable I-FAAST” option.

• Administrator
Note: when the "Efficient" Automatic Defragmentation option is enabled, the I-FAAST engine will not run unless you select the "Always enable I-FAAST" option.

Thanks for the info. I missed that part. :)

So yea, I've enabled I-FAAST on all the drives (DK 2010 automatically did that so no worries if I force it) except the "System Reserved".

Archived