Reset Permissions in Windows 7

shought

Windows 7 permissions can (in my experience) be one big mess. I want to control all my files (and not get annoying prompts), but at the same time I want file sharing over my network to work and stuff like that. In attempting to do so the chances are high that I screw up every once in a while and just want to start over (from a certain point or totally).

These simple commands will let me do so:

(Start > Run > cmd > Enter)

cd /D C:\Program Files\
icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

The first line changes the folder to the folder which contents you want to reset.

The second line resets the permissions of all files and folders in this folder (including subfolders, I think).

Ok, that's it :D

Source

• Replies 9
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting - because all of a sudden I've got these "account unknown" all over the place (4 computers with shared folders).

snap1xr.png

Not sure what caused it. I did remove Eset AV the other day, went for Microsoft Security Essentials

I'll give this a twirl - alternatively I could maybe disable and then enable the shared content (unsure). When I encounter something I don't understand I usually do a clean install of the system. There is this thing with me unable to update the firmware for my SSD drive to enable Trim support that might also force me to do a clean install eventually.

Was the file or folder in question copied over from another system .. and did it always exist on NTFS? The only time I have seen this is with files which were created by another account which no longer exists on the current installation or version of Windows.. Like if you copied a bunch of folders from an account on a previous installation.. Keeping all of the file streams intact.. sometimes it will still list certain account names that were apart of that... I seen this a few times.. BUT I am not for sure rather I was able to remove it.. if I removed.. or if it just went away.. Been awhile back..

Finally! Thank you Shought much appreciated...:)

@jalaffa

I had the same, 'Unknown account' (just one though). Not sure what causes this, but I know what fixes it, now :)

(Disabling and enabling shared folders won't do the trick (I tried that as well).)

Microsoft really turned sharing files and folders over network into a hell with Windows 7 + XP PCs... And the new 'homegroup'/library approach I do not like at all either. Their endless endeavor to make things easier for, hmmm, let's call them 'less-knowing end-users' turns their OS into a nightmare for others :(

Why don't they make two editions instead of 6 with all kinds of vague differences; professional (which works, as it's supposed to work) and home (which works for grandma).

I'm still encountering this weird behaviour creating new files in a shared folder. (Unknown account stuff). It's not a problem when using my machines though. No consequences.

Had this NAS unit connected - maybe that has caused it?

Agree with you about Windows 7 Homegroup. It works ok for a while, but I tend to have to use the network (workgroup) approach instead.

This is why I use other options anyway.. Good thing about Networking though is you can run applications this way in some cases... Using CMF Platform and servers tends to work well, as well as DNLA3 Servers for media with transcoding ability... even just a simple file server... Something like Apache with configuring the directories.. when I first got Windows 7 I played around a little with the networks.. then turned the shares off.. Tenable Nessus picked up on several shared items which did not have proper account permissions on them.. which seemed odd but it showed it.. There is also Windows Live Mesh as well.. and these can all be made to be accessed from the outside if you want them to..

Quite a few alternatives... I remember some stuff about the services and how the networks now worked in Windows 7.. searching and otherwise.. but its been awhile on the aspects of it all... I would have to do some more research I think..

• 2 months later...

Windows 7 permissions can (in my experience) be one big mess. I want to control all my files (and not get annoying prompts), but at the same time I want file sharing over my network to work and stuff like that. In attempting to do so the chances are high that I screw up every once in a while and just want to start over (from a certain point or totally).

These simple commands will let me do so:

(Start > Run > cmd > Enter)

cd /D C:\Program Files\
icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

The first line changes the folder to the folder which contents you want to reset.

The second line resets the permissions of all files and folders in this folder (including subfolders, I think).

Ok, that's it :D

Source

Very handy. Thanks for the info.... :)

Archived