Google Chrome OS

Atasas

• Replies 15
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.junauza.com/2010/02/how-to-install-google-chrome-os.html

HOW TO INSTALL GOOGLE CHROME OS: Do you want to install Google's very own operating system called Chrome OS? If yes, then just follow the following (very easy) steps on installing the Chrome OS on virtual machine. But first some requirements:

* Download Google Chrome OS from HERE.

* Download VirtualBox from HERE, and then install it.

How to Install Google Chrome OS:

1. Open VirtualBox, create a new virtual machine, name it, and set the Operating System to "other". Click on "Next".

2. Set the size of base memory (RAM). I think the recommended RAM is 512 MB so I would recommend setting it that way. You can always increase the memory later if you need to.

3. Next, create a new virtual hard disk. Make sure "Boot Hard Disk (Primary Master)" is checked.

4. Pick the type of storage that you would want to use. I choose dynamically expanding storage.

5. Select the size of your virtual hard disk. I recommend you use at least 2GB. Click on next and proceed by starting Google Chrome OS.

6. After pressing the "Start" button, the "First Run Wizard" will appear to help you manage the media to use. You will have to select and add the downloaded Chrome OS ISO image of course.

7. The installation of Chrome OS will start immediately after having selected the installation media.

8. The Chrome OS installer is really easy to use so just go on and finished the installation.

I will be updating this post once I've tested Chrome OS on real hardware (not virtual machine) and will show you the installation process as well.

Enjoy and let us know your thoughts about Chrome OS via comment.

This is not the official Chrome OS by GOOOGLE. See the first screenshot bottom "THIS IS NOT RELATED TO GOOGLE". IT IS BY SOME SUSE STUDIO....

GOS is unix based

About Chrome OS 2010-11-05: Chrome OS 0.9.570 Release Candidate (RC) is available for download!

Chrome OS is a brand new free operating system built around the revolutionary Google Chrome browser.

The project aim is to provide a lightweight Linux distribution for the best web browsing experience.

Featured software in Chrome OS:

GNOME 2.30 desktop environment

Google Chrome 9.0.570 web browser Updated!

Google Picasa 2.7 photo manager

OpenOffice.org 3.2 office suite

GIMP 2.6 image editor

Flash Player 10.1 plugin

Wine Windows emulator 1.2

Pidgin 2.6 instant messenger

and much more!

System requirements of Chrome OS:

Processor: Intel Pentium, Xeon or newer; AMD Duron, Athlon, Sempron, Opteron or newer

RAM: min. 256 MB

Hard disk: min. 1 GB

Graphics card: supports most modern graphics cards

Download Chrome OS Live CD and give it a try!

• Administrator

Google Chrome OS is based on Ubuntu. ;)

Not too fond of cloud though, will give it a try when it gets RTM.

Thanks for the info. I'm loving these cloud based linux distros. They're great for a linux noob like myself. I've have recently used Jolicloud on a ancient HP laptop and it just fly's now. I know most of these are derivatives of Ubuntu. Cool stuff. I thought the real chrome os would not be available for public download and install. It would be hardware centric based on the manufacturer like Apple's os. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. I'm loving these cloud based linux distros. They're great for a linux noob like myself. I've have recently used Jolicloud on a ancient HP laptop and it just fly's now. I know most of these are derivatives of Ubuntu. Cool stuff. I thought the real chrome os would not be available for public download and install. It would be hardware centric based on the manufacturer like Apple's os. Thanks again.

you think, as I do!

^   :thumbsdown:  Ever any really good stand alone tool- Unix is always better!

Back on topic- apart from me guessing, that it will be hardware tied, I believe it still be unix and possible to run (once adapted) on a PC.

Concerning big apps-keep guessing- certain "big ones" are going to be based on emulation...????

Well.. IF this is the official.. LOL.. all I can say.. is.. REALLY... all we need is another flavor of a Linux.. REALLY... LOL

you need not know if it is Linux

the one, (middle one) I've tried..... so damn basic! but it was as basic as simple as IE Leopard from the box, only different functions, but basic to the extent, that I can not get on into Internet (windows only driver in network settings) ... so another farewell from me, but GCOS might turn out quite hybrid :mellow:

That one looks straight out penguin-side from the shot above.. I would expect ti to be like their browser though.. stripped down and very basic.. which means quick and clean.. then occasional bog from data-mining.. LOL

That one looks straight out penguin-side from the shot above.. I would expect ti to be like their browser though.. stripped down and very basic.. which means quick and clean.. then occasional bog from data-mining.. LOL

Try one or the other build!?

see if you stereotype will change?

edited:

let me know if wireless module will load?

Thanks!

Archived