PerfectDisk Professional 11 or UltimateDefrag 3

T0nyB

So which is better in your oppion, PerfectDisk Professional 11 or UltimateDefrag 3?

What are the pros and cons of both? (Could someone add a poll for choosing?)

In my oppinion PerfectDisk is better, it has really good graphics about in what level of performance the disk is. (But proove my otherwise, :P)

• Replies 42
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Let me make it clear before any war starts. :P Nothing is better or best, it's all in personal preference.

I prefer UD over anything else as it gives me power to move anything anywhere on the disk. I do lot of download, lot of seeding, and when reaching a goal, I don't want that file to hog the faster side of my drive anymore, so I move it and there it stays in archive. Then comes another file and gets in High Performance.

To make it short, Ultimate Defrag is more like a manual disk optimizer that gives raw power in your hands and to the disk. If you follow the guides correctly, you can't go wrong.

Either way, all the top three defrag apps never hurt anyone, they only help you speed up your disk with minor differences in performance (between them). ;)

EDIT: We already have a poll here. :)

Still hope there is a guide to make UD perform as good as PerfectDisk.

UD is good....if there is a guide on it.

Hate to have 3 additional process running all the time in PerfectDisk.

Let me make it clear before any war starts. :P Nothing is better or best, it's all in personal preference.

I prefer UD over anything else as it gives me power to move anything anywhere on the disk. I do lot of download, lot of seeding, and when reaching a goal, I don't want that file to hog the faster side of my drive anymore, so I move it and there it stays in archive. Then comes another file and gets in High Performance.

To make it short, Ultimate Defrag is more like a manual disk optimizer that gives raw power in your hands and to the disk. If you follow the guides correctly, you can't go wrong.

Either way, all the top three defrag apps never hurt anyone, they only help you speed up your disk with minor differences in performance (between them). ;)

You are right these things do usually start in complete innocence...sometimes really to find a way to make a decision without using each one for months on end.. but its best to know that each person will have their own preference.. and some truthfully have never used another one.. some have used many.. but there will wind up being discussion and argument in the theory which provides the most efficient means if disk management..

I have tried a few others, but I stick with UD3... have used it for many years on several systems... Not for sure if its just because I get the concept and am comfortable with it.. I never schedule anything.. use it as I need it..

• Administrator

You are right these things do usually start in complete innocence...sometimes really to find a way to make a decision without using each one for months on end.. but its best to know that each person will have their own preference.. and some truthfully have never used another one.. some have used many.. but there will wind up being discussion and argument in the theory which provides the most efficient means if disk management..

I have tried a few others, but I stick with UD3... have used it for many years on several systems... Not for sure if its just because I get the concept and am comfortable with it.. I never schedule anything.. use it as I need it..

Couldn't agree more. ^_^

@KotaXor:

You can always set PDAgent to Manual in Computer Management.

True...its set to Automatic(delay) now.

• Administrator

AFAIK jalaffa wrote a guide for Udefrag way back when there's no nsane yet or just starting, dont know where it is now.

You mean shought? It's posted here. :)

I like PerfectDisk better because it has less bugs. UltimateDefrag 3 boot time defrag is not working on my computer and PerfectDisk is easier to use, for me... :unsure:

But what about O&O Defrag 14 Pro? Is it good?

I remember that earlier KotaXor tried UltimateDefrag using Folder / File Name optimization (that DKT27 recommended), but his computer took 12 seconds longer to boot compared to using PerfectDisk. :o

Wow..you still remember!

True...try it not once but a few times...and the result is about the same, about 12 sec slower using UD.

Frankly, I much prefer UD....able to control where your files go.(I have not tested UD against Diskeeper though).

Initially...my preference is UD follow by Diskeeper and then PerfectDisk.

But results prove me wrong, now using PerfectDisk.

Top Ten Reviews are known to be terrible, check out their security ones if you don't believe me.

As for defragmenters I've tried most of the ones here. They all seem to place files in different places, but from what I can tell theres no real improvement in one over another. (I don't have massive hard drives) The first good one I used was Perfect Disk, and it made a huge improvement to my pc speed. Since then I've tried Disk keeper, which was good, prevents new files from fragging. O&O for me was decent, quicker than some and easy to use. Now im trying UD3, which seems the most manual if you want to place your own files, although im letting it do its own thing.

Looks like its down to personal choice, whichever one you want will do a good enough job. I like to try out software, but I could have easily just stuck to PD11. I can't make my own mind up to which I prefer, haven't noticed much difference in performance of each. Check the poll if that helps you decide.

I should have added im just an average pc user, theres far more advanced users here who can test things better than I can. :D

TopTenReviews sucks indeed ;)

I currently don't feel like spending a lot of time to update the UD guide... What I like about it is that you can move the files yourself, but it could be possible that another program is more reliable for increasing boot times (for instance by having a 'basic' layout for the first 'n' files on the disk, dependent on the OS).

Can't judge about these at the moment, I guess :)

• Administrator

I can surely say one thing, UD is nothing without a updated guide. :rolleyes: Everyone who have been using it should know that there's a major difference in UD 2 vs UD 3 and XP vs 7. If you haven't used respect layout.ini, your boot time is going to be slow.

yep to those who said that it takes the bootup longer after defragmenting w/ UD, that's because you did it wrong. UD is not like your average automatic defragmenter and that makes it awesome though not much for average user as well who like install and forget.

if you plan using UD, you really need to read the manual and seek guides.

• Administrator

I'm sure Kotaxor has read the guide. :)

Just that the guide isn't 100% on Windows 7 and UD3.

Archived