PS3 Performance Concerns Analysts

Zeus_Hunt

Sony can't catch a break, and now its highly anticipated PlayStation 3 is worrying investors. Shares of the company fell Tuesday after a financial analyst expressed concern over the console after it displayed some unstable behavior at the Tokyo Game Show.

Macquarie Equities analyst David Gibson wrote in a research note to clients that he watched the system operate erratically and said it required repeated resets. The PS3 was enclosed in a display case, but Gibson was not sure of the exact reason.

The analyst called the issues troubling, especially considering they were appearing very close to the console's launch. Japan will see the console first on November 11, with PS3 sales beginning in the United States on November 17.

Representatives for Sony denied that there were any problems with the units, saying the conditions within the venue contributed to the problem and not the console itself. The consoles were enclosed in kiosks that were poorly ventilated, they claimed.

Sony argues that the problems were not only experienced by Sony, but by other console manufacturers at the show. The PS3 would not have the same issues when operating in a normal home setting, the representative said.

The PlayStation 3's apparent issues are yet another unfortunate turn of events for the Japanese electronics maker. Sony is currently battling with a massive recall of its laptop batteries across several manufacturers, which is expected to cost the company $250 million, if not more.

viewpo0.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quoting a slashdotter...

I was at TGS and a) it was about 1000 degress inside; B) the PS3s were in tiny plexiglass containers with no visible ventilation; c) it was pre-release software; d) it's probably running on test kits, which aren't notoriously reliable; and e) I was in the sony booth, looking directly at games, for >90 minutes and saw one crash only.

This a) compares favorably with E3, and B) is in line with what you'd expect from beta software, especially since the last bugs you find are the kind of crazy tiny 'soak-test' memory leaks that tend to come out when you play the game constantly for 8 hours w/o rebooting, as you see at TGS.

IMHO, this whole thing is FUD; some analyst who saw a game crash and is trying to justify his trip to Tokyo.

The PS3 would not have the same issues when operating in a normal home setting

We all hope so.. and from whats mentioned on top we think so too :P

masterripper

shit.... i hope that the problem was actually caused by no ventilation and not by the unit itself, ive been waiting for the ps3 to come out forever and ill be damned if im gonna spend $400 on the ps3 just to have it crash and malfunction.

I kinda believe what was mentioned by the Slashdotter.

I believe PS3 had heat issues earlier.. but they changed the power supply or something to resolve it

omg, wat i would do 4 a ps3.... i'll have 2 stick though with my PC...-3,sempron stuff and 6600 nvidia, and ram not even enough 4 an mp3 player...hopeless... 1 more line and ill go cry myself unconscious... :P

Archived