The Zune

Guest volko

zune-colors.jpg

I heard about Microsoft's newest creation, an MP called The Zune via Engadget's weekly podcast.

Supposedly to be released in the US late November, it's sports a 30 Gig HD, Vid Playback in with a lot more diverse amount of codecs than the 5G iPod, a sleek looking screen, and I whole lot of features I'm too lazy to mention.

You can read about it here:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/microsoft-launches-the-zune/

• Replies 6
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
zune-colors.jpg

I heard about Microsoft's newest creation, an MP called The Zune via Engadget's weekly podcast.

Supposedly to be released in the US late November, it's sports a 30 Gig HD, Vid Playback in with a lot more diverse amount of codecs than the 5G iPod, a sleek looking screen, and I whole lot of features I'm too lazy to mention.

You can read about it here:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/microsoft-launches-the-zune/

yes if you go near another users of Zune you will download their music and allowed to listern to it for a few days. then you will be drm to death to pay for it or else. btw i can see a rappist or murderer using the zune music download part to find where a victum is to do their evil deed. no doubt in a year someone will be reported doing it.

It looks like Microsoft has finally settled for a price on the Zune player, although they are probably not all that happy about it.

"We had to look at what was in the market and offer a competitive price," said Scott Erickson, Microsoft's senior director of product marketing for Zune. "We're not going to be profitable this holiday but the Zune project is a multiyear strategy."

Microsoft's 30-gigabyte Zune will retail for $249.99, which is incidentally the same price that Apple’s iPod with the same capacity is priced. But this is not the work of coincidence, not by a long shot. Even when it was originally thought that the device would be shipping for $299, Microsoft would have been operating at a loss. The pricing of the new iPod served to increase that loss even further, the fact that they are not even trying to undercut the iPod’s price is a clear indication of that.

But now, Microsoft faces another issue. It cannot compete with the iPod in terms of price, or mass appeal, or cool factor, so there are only the features left. And even though there are differences here, it has yet to be seen if they will make any difference. So far, the radio tuner has proven to be a negligible feature that holds no sway over the public. The wireless sharing might be a little more interesting, but for that to ever become a factor, it would require the Zune players to be ubiquitous, which they are not.

• 5 weeks later...

Let us not forget that MS is screwing people who bought its partners boxes and its partners, the new drm will not work with the old music you bought so you just get to rebuy it.

Archived