Formula1 2010: The Season

Lite

• Administrator

With the new season fast approaching, i thought its the perfect time to start a new topic on the matter!

With pre-season testing now concluded - its clear there are four teams out in front: Ferrari, Maclaren, Mercedes and Red-Bull.

Dispite this... there are many interesting and "wonderful" things that could happen this year. Who will win the battle of the newbies? Who will win the "battle of the rest"? Will the ban on re-fuelling really make the rules more interesting? How will the tracks cope with the new cars? Is the new points system going to work? and many more.

Its not for a while we are going into a season with so many un-knowns.

The official entry list for the 2010 season:

1 Jenson BUTTON (GBR) VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES (GB)

2 Lewis HAMILTON (GBR) VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES (GB)

3 Michael SCHUMACHER (D) MERCEDES GP PETRONAS FORMULA ONE TEAM

4 Nico ROSBERG (D) MERCEDES GP PETRONAS FORMULA ONE TEAM

5 Sebastian VETTEL (DEU) RED BULL RACING (AUT)

6 Mark WEBBER (AUS) RED BULL RACING (AUT)

7 Felipe MASSA (BRA) SCUDERIA FERRARI MARLBORO (I)

8 Fernando ALONSO (ESP) SCUDERIA FERRARI MARLBORO (I)

9 Rubens BARRICHELLO (BRA) AT&T WILLIAMS (GB)

10 Nico HÜLKENBERG (D) AT&T WILLIAMS (GB)

11 Robert KUBICA (POL) RENAULT F1 TEAM (FRA)

12 Vitaly PETROV (RUS) RENAULT F1 TEAM (FRA)

14 Adrian SUTIL (D) FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM (IND)

15 Vitantonio LIUZZI (I) FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM (IND)

16 Sébastien BUEMI (CH) SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO (I)

17 Jaime ALGUERSUARI (ESP) SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO (I)

18 Jarno TRULLI (I) LOTUS RACING (MAL)

19 Heikki KOVALAINEN (FIN) LOTUS RACING (MAL)

20 Karun Chandhok HRT F1 TEAM (ESP)

21 Bruno SENNA (BRA) HRT F1 TEAM (ESP)

22 Pedro DE LA ROSA (ESP) BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM (CH)

23 Kamui KOBAYASHI (J) BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM (CH)

24 Timo GLOCK (DEU) VIRGIN RACING (GB)

25 Luca DI GRASSI (BRA) VIRGIN RACING (GB)

I suggest we try to keep this thread updated with all the latest news and gossip as the season continues.

I'll be updating this post with various information relating to each race, like the winner, fastest lap, qualifying results etc.

The results

Bahrain

01. F.Alonso 1:39:20.396

02. F.Massa +16.0 secs

03. L.Hamilton +23.1 secs

Fastest Lap

F.Alonso 1:58.287

Pole Position

S.Vettel 1:54.101

Australia

01. Jenson Button 1:33:36.531

02. Robert Kubica +12.0 secs

03. Felipe Massa +14.4 secs

Fastest Lap

F.Alonso 1:58.287

Pole Position

S.Vettel 1:23.919

Malaysia

(Pending)

Current Standings

Constructors

01 Ferrari 70

02 McLaren-Mercedes 54

03 Mercedes GP 29

04 Renault 18

05 RBR-Renault 18

06 Force India-Mercedes 8

07 Williams-Cosworth 5

08 STR-Ferrari 0

09 BMW Sauber-Ferrari 0

10 Lotus-Cosworth 0

11 HRT-Cosworth 0

12 Virgin-Cosworth 0

Drivers

1 Fernando Alonso 37

2 Felipe Massa 33

3 Jenson Button 31

4 Lewis Hamilton 23

5 Nico Rosberg 20

6 Robert Kubica 18

7 Sebastian Vettel 12

8 Michael Schumacher 9

9 Vitantonio Liuzzi 8

10 Mark Webber 6

11 Rubens Barrichello 5

12 Jaime Alguersuari 0

13 Pedro de la Rosa 0

14 Adrian Sutil 0

15 Heikki Kovalainen 0

16 Nico Hulkenberg 0

17 Karun Chandhok 0

18 Sebastien Buemi 0

19 Jarno Trulli 0

20 Timo Glock 0

21 Lucas di Grassi 0

22 Bruno Senna 0

23 Vitaly Petrov 0

24 Kamui Kobayashi 0

• Replies 40
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm dying to see Michael SCHUMACHER back in action. So for sure he is my pick for the Bahrain race win.. I would need to check out those new rules mentioned.

I suggest we try to keep this thread updated with all the latest news and gossip as the season continues.

:thumbs up:

Well, what do I think/predict?

: Merc will not be anywhere near form, Shou will crash...

McL will be strong, but will have technical failures

Ferr will be surprize- Alonso will blow past Masa easy

Vetel and RedB will be shining!

Obviously take away weather factors, legal calamities etc

I wish for after a while (kind off supporting a little) Ferr to get back on a winning street, since new management it seems to have no more bad and iffy practices (passed over to McL, who is the trickery of them all), but I don't believe they will have legs to run in a front....

Cant wait to see the race! :rolleyes:

Sl@pSh0ck™

Can't wait to see Michael Schumacher back in action ... tis would be a good fight to the finish :dance2: too bad he would not be driving a Ferarri :blink:

Can't wait to see Michael Schumacher back in action ... tis would be a good fight to the finish :dance2: too bad he would not be driving a Ferarri :blink:

....more or less certain here: Shumi didn't see Ferr as good enough team for him... and "the king" of tricks and Tech development is @ Merc (+ minor factor Champions)- he's after the winning, not competing

Sl@pSh0ck™

Although I am a fan of Michael Schumacher ... I am still betting for team Ferarri :dance2:

....more or less certain here: Shumi didn't see Ferr as good enough team for him... and "the king" of tricks and Tech development is @ Merc (+ minor factor Champions)- he's after the winning, not competing

Actually 'Shumi' tried to drive for Ferrari when MASSA was injured.. They 'rules' however would not allow him to practice in the car beforehand ( something about it was too late .. ) The reason he did not drive ultimately came down to a neck injury he had received which would not allow him to run the F1's and the deal with the G-Forces..

I really don't think he had his nose up in the air... LOL

Go Mclaren and Hammy! :lol:

I think Mclaren have the fastest car especially considering they only started using the front-wing flap adjusters on the final day of testing!

Lewis will probably be a couple of tenths faster than Button, I hope there's some good overtaking this year though cus I'm fed up of a much quicker car unable to pass because of the turbulent air nonsense.

Go Mclaren and Hammy! :lol:

I think Mclaren have the fastest car especially considering they only started using the front-wing flap adjusters on the final day of testing!

Lewis will probably be a couple of tenths faster than Button, I hope there's some good overtaking this year though cus I'm fed up of a much quicker car unable to pass because of the turbulent air nonsense.

Lewis Hamilton has admitted that he came close to quitting Formula 1 when he realised how he was perceived in the wake of last year's 'liegate' scandal.

The British star was widely castigated after it emerged that he had misled the Australian Grand Prix stewards when being quizzed over whether he had allowed Jarno Trulli to pass him behind the safety car at the end of the race.

Trulli had initially been penalised, handing Hamilton third, until it emerged that rather than illegally overtaking the McLaren, Trulli had been handed the place by Hamilton amid confusion over who had been ahead when the safety car period was called - contrary to Lewis's initial account to the stewards.

The scandal cost McLaren's long-time team manager Dave Ryan his job, and prompted Hamilton to make an emotional apology to an angry media - and, he has now revealed, consider walking away from F1.

"There was a lot to take on board after what had gone on," Hamilton told a group of British newspaper reporters this weekend.

"I care about how people perceive me.

58676852v3_480x480_Front_Color-White.jpg

Bahrain Grand Prix

Qualifying

13 Mar 2010

Position Country Driver Qualifying Time

1 germany S Vettel 1:54.101

2 brazil F Massa 1:54.242

3 spain F Alonso 1:54.608

4 great britain L Hamilton 1:55.217

5 germany N Rosberg 1:55.241

6 australia M Webber 1:55.284

7 germany M Schumacher 1:55.524

8 great britain J Button 1:55.672

9 poland R Kubica 1:55.885

10 germany A Sutil 1:56.309

• Administrator

This race is Ferrari's to lose in my opinion. They are much more consistent over the longer runs vs everyone else.

The only potential issue is the fuel consumption that came up a bit last season. This has been said to be improved though....

Lets see how things pan out.

This race is Ferrari's to lose in my opinion. They are much more consistent over the longer runs vs everyone else.

The only potential issue is the fuel consumption that came up a bit last season. This has been said to be improved though....

Lets see how things pan out.

Show to us not to predict! :lol:

You got that right (it does not mean you're a god or something :lol: ) That one was easy (he, he)

Dunno about you guys, but I like changes (no refueling- fair'er race; 25 points for a first place- fair), but loosing excitement of "pit races" left it a bit boring...?

In other words (not in my predicament or Lites) shame about Vettel- so worth better reliability from car!

• Administrator

You got that right (it does not mean you're a god or something :lol: ) That one was easy (he, he)

I never said god - i said good.

I think Alonso was closing up on Vettel even before his problems occured. That said it would have been a good start to the season for red bull - starting where they left off.

It seems clear that the Ferrari's and the Red Bulls are ahead of the others.

Banning re-fuelling has made things worse in my opinion. Everyone stopped once to change tyres within a few laps of each other. There isn't really a strategy involved.

Actually Lite, there can be some major strategy involved and some major issues caused, and other unforseen... If you ever have played Gran Turismo 4 in B-spec using the Formula One ... You begin to notice its not all a walk in the park... About the only difference I could see off the top of my head now is that running light on fuel, is out of the question, which allows them to run longer ( in some cases ) on the same tires.. and they can get ahead in the field, ( though depending on how its done your average lap time can drop a little ) pacing themselves.. It also means certain tuning techniques cannot be used.. and the car must be tuned well enough to handle the range better, so that nobody has a surprising advantage as the car gets lighter, The driver has to be aware...Its bringing it down to a finer line..so I dunno IMO.. I think it may in some ways separate the field in different manner, and make the pits more competitive.. You don't just say 'Come in' or 'Pit' anymore ( BUT I do hate to see random variables that could keep you in the edge of your seat taken out.. )

Kind of like the Japanese GT Circuit.. many stipulations have caused technological changes...( as their Circuit and organizations developed ) and more efficient use of the design, and driving technique for some.. Between the teams differences that developed over time which set them far apart on the field ( rare )... Maybe this is what they are trying to target here?

EDIT: I would be willing to be that you will see some teams experimenting with other methods/tire setups and probably one of the reasons for the change in the cars this year.. Probably see some epic FAILS.. and some wins as well.. maybe even some 'taking it easy' and not failing/completely out of the season until the new territory has been 'felt out'...

2010 - They said this year we would be seeing the first all electric GT car ( approximately between the equivalent of 800 - 1200 HP ) on the track.. Wondering..

2012 - Supposedly hybrids and some electric formula one.. Don't know about this one for sure.. but definitely some changes in the cars on the track between GT, LMP's, and Formula.. We already watched Peugeot bring it n last year with their hybrid LMP...

Could be interesting the next few years..

Quite important next race to see on what cars and teams made off, its simply quite different circuit to Glorious Track of Bahrain (in my opinion dah best @ the mo)

Electric etc....- when pigs are going to fly :lol:

Surprised by lack of any controversy after the race! in recent past it was as exiting as the race, maybe a bit borring, but F1 is turning in much pure race, than "California beach" or other Soap B)

TheTwilightZone

Booooooooooooooring !

There was hardly any action, and if there was (somewhere back in the field) I didn't saw it (RTL)

Also really didn't like the extra part they added to the track, just a waste of time driving there.

New rules and regulations are rubbish, drivers aren't pushing to hard because of their tires,

Cars are not driven to their full potential, except in the end where everybody's light on fuel.

I really hope there's gonna be some major improvement during the season...

I think it will when the drivers are more 'in-tune' with what their 'colleagues' are going to do what they can do in the new configuration and get away with.. personal opinion though..

• 2 weeks later...
Australian GP grid

Saturday, 27 March 2010

1 VETTEL Red Bull

2 WEBBER Red Bull

3 ALONSO Ferrari

4 BUTTON McLaren

5 MASSA Ferrari

6 ROSBERG Mercedes

7 SCHUMACHER Mercedes

8 BARRICHELLO Williams

9 KUBICA Renault

10 SUTIL Force India

11 HAMILTON McLaren

12 BUEMI Toro Rosso

13 LIUZZI Force India

14 DE LA ROSA Sauber

15 HULKENBERG Williams

16 KOBAYASHI Sauber

17 ALGUERSUARI Toro Rosso

18 PETROV Renault

19 KOVALAINEN Lotus

20 TRULLI Lotus

21 GLOCK Virgin

22 DI GRASSI Virgin

23 SENNA HRT

24 CHANDHOK HRT

Honestly, I just can not pick someone to be supportive off... apart from whole F1

As for predictions?... need to see replay (couldn't so far), but this time I could not bet money on one or the other based on reports (my excuse) :P

• Administrator

I feel sorry for Vettel.... dominates two races and then his car breaks both times.

Load of unfortunate events and some dubious "closing door manoeuvres" + comments...

Exciting race non the less! I have ,somehow, send my congratulations to R. Kubica- believe he's done well, without any "questionable" driving shenanigans- Well done!

Archived