A pic of the prototype of PS3

sony-playstation-3-1.jpg

sony-playstation-3-2.jpg

sony-playstation-3-3.jpg

sony-playstation-3.jpg

playstation-3-bpad.jpg

sony-playstation-3-4.jpg

LOOKS FUCKING SWEET!!!!! :(

Sony Corp (SNE.N). unveiled three flavors of its new PlayStation 3 video game machine Monday in what is likely a new round of console wars with rivals Microsoft Corp. and Nintendo Co.

The new machine, set for release in the spring of 2006, is about the same size as the current generation

PlayStation 2 but has a more rounded look. Besides black, the PS3 will be available in silver and white.

Sony officials said the PS3's new processor technology — called Cell — will offer high performance for movie-like realism in games, high-definition movies and other features.

"The PS3 is truly is a system to be placed in the center of the living room," said Ken Kutaragi, creator of the original PlayStation console as well as the more recent PlayStation Portable handheld.

Prices or a specific lineup of games that will be available were not were not provided, though Sony showed off numerous demonstrations of games in development.

The PS3 will use the Blu-ray disc format, capable of holding 50 gigabytes of information, which is about six times the capacity of existing DVDs, as well as slots for memory cards, a detachable hard drive and Bluetooth wireless for up to seven wireless controllers.

The PS3 also will be able to run the thousands of games available for the older PS2 and PS1, officials said.

One demonstration PS3 game showed a fiery battle between a soldier and a robot in an intricately detailed futuristic city. Individual tattoos and bits of blood could be seen on the warrior's face, while shafts of light beamed down from the rafters of a metallic corridor.

The announcement comes two days ahead of the Electronic Entertainment Expo, an annual industry gathering in Los Angeles.

Last week, Microsoft showcased its new Xbox 360 in a 30-minute special on MTV.

Microsoft said it would begin selling Xbox 360 in North America around Thanksgiving, and Europe and Asia by the end of the year.

No pricing details have been announced on any of the systems.

Nintendo will discuss its new console, code-named Revolution, further on Tuesday morning.

In 2004, Sony's older PlayStation 2 led the U.S. console wars with 43 percent of the market, according to Jupiter Research. The original Xbox was a distant No. 2 with 19 percent, followed by Nintendo's GameCube at 14 percent. The remainder included handheld game systems.

But by 2010, Xbox 360 would grab the lead with 38 percent of the market, followed by Sony with 32 percent and Nintendo with 22 percent, Jupiter forecasts.

Microsoft is taking an entertainment hub approach with Xbox 360.

The curvy, white machine plays DVD movies and lets users listen to music, view photos and do real-time video chats with friends and relatives around the world.

The Xbox 360 features three processors, a removable 20-gigabyte hard drive, a custom graphics chip and built-in wireless for cable-free access to the company's Xbox Live online multiplayer service.

Source - Yahoo

• Replies 18
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the xbox sounds like a POS when compared to the PS3 :(

still waiting for more info on the new nintendo system tho ;)

the xbox sounds like a POS when compared to the PS3 :(

still waiting for more info on the new nintendo system tho ;)

sadly yeap. xbox 360 will not be able to legaly play xbox games. different graphic card company and ms would have to pay for driver support. can you say a hack be a coming in the mod of xbox 360. then there is the piece of shit 20 GB harddrive. you cant even buy them in thye stores. min is 80 gb for $39. so its going to be theirs only like the dead sony ps2 harddrive idea of 40 gb one.

sony doing the blue ray laser for the new anti copying protection formats. sadly like ps2 they will have dead ps3 like they did ps2. first year will suck. finally more then 2 controlers. but why frekaen 7????? and not a even number like 8?

then there is N. god they already f23456 ds. wil lthey get their console right this time?

sony doing the blue ray laser for the new anti copying protection formats. sadly like ps2 they will have dead ps3 like they did ps2. first year will suck. finally more then 2 controlers. but why frekaen 7????? and not a even number like 8?

i didn't even think about that, our PCs' red lasers won't be able to read the blu ray/laser discs :(

btw, not only is the number of playable controllers odd. but, the controllers look REALLY uncomfortable to hold ;)

What we need is a side by side comparasion with all three consoles (Xbox, PS, Nintendo).. Thats what I wanna see. :(

Oh wow I am so disapointed in the ps3. One, IMHO it looks ugly. Yes, ugly...

Two, it's round. Good job sony the ps3 is no longer stackable

Three, 7 controlers. Why 7? Fuck.

edit: An four... the controler situation. Horrible. Disapointing.

I lost A LOT of respect for sony lately, and yes I AM a die hard Sony fan.

Cool Beans

It looks alright but those pads... jeez! What were they thinking??

They look like something Batman might pull out if you threaten Gotham City!

To me it looks like a well designed modem :lol:

But more than the looks what really matters is how it would fare against Nintendo and XBOX

I think it will take a long time before it would be possible to have a comparision between them :P

And looks like I made a century :P :rolleyes:

Should :dance: :dance2: :cheers: this weekend

They look like something Batman might pull out if you threaten Gotham City!

*in Dain Cook voice*

That... was fucking hilarious

Cool Beans

Oh wow I am so disapointed in the ps3. One, IMHO it looks ugly. Yes, ugly...

Two, it's round. Good job sony the ps3 is no longer stackable

Three, 7 controlers. Why 7? Fuck.

edit: An four... the controler situation. Horrible. Disapointing.

I lost A LOT of respect for sony lately, and yes I AM a die hard Sony fan.

Cool Beans

yeah, the outer look is a bit off. With 7 controllers the screens for each is going to be uper small. That, and 7 isnt an even number meaning there is going to be blank space wasted.... Stacking PS? Hmm, i dont see the occasion when u need too... :rolleyes:

Check out the Hard Specs

Playstation 3 Official Specs:

-Backwards compatibility with both PSone and PS2 games.

-Will use Blu-Ray discs for media; also supports: CD-ROM, CD+RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R

-Cell processor at 3.2GHz

-2.18 teraflops of performance (double that of the XBOX 360)

-512MB total: 256MB XDR system RAM at 3.2 GHz; 256MB of GDDRVRAM at 700MHz

-Slot that supports a detachable 2.5in HDD

-Six USB ports; Memory Stick Duo, SD and Compact Flash support

-2 HDMI outputs, 1 A/V output, 1 SPDIF optical output, and a 1 gigabit ethernet port Video chat, Internet access, digital picture, audio, and video viewing

-Capable of handling seven Bluetooth controllers

Graphics:

-Chip is called RSX "Reality Synthesizer" by nVidia

-128 bit pixel precision and 1080p support

-300 million transistors; 90nm process

-Said to be more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultras

A lot has been said about the looks ....

With these specs I would advice.... to cover the Box with a piece of BLACK Cloth and play really smooth games

Playstation 3 Official Specs:

-Backwards compatibility with both PSone and PS2 games.

-Will use Blu-Ray discs for media; also supports: CD-ROM, CD+RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R

-Cell processor at 3.2GHz

-2.18 teraflops of performance (double that of the XBOX 360)

-512MB total: 256MB XDR system RAM at 3.2 GHz; 256MB of GDDRVRAM at 700MHz

-Slot that supports a detachable 2.5in HDD

-Six USB ports; Memory Stick Duo, SD and Compact Flash support

-2 HDMI outputs, 1 A/V output, 1 SPDIF optical output, and a 1 gigabit ethernet port Video chat, Internet access, digital picture, audio, and video viewing

-Capable of handling seven Bluetooth controllers

Graphics:

-Chip is called RSX "Reality Synthesizer" by nVidia

-128 bit pixel precision and 1080p support

-300 million transistors; 90nm process

-Said to be more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultras

Mighty fine specs if they're legit. Looks like nVidia is going to be rolling in the money when this gets released. I'm an ATI man myself, but kudo's to nVidia for taking the initiative and going for the contract. ATI must be pissed.

What the hell is a teraflop?? Never heard of that before ;)

No mention on number of ports for gamepads?

I'm not saying this isn't correct info but it sure does sound too good to be true. If it is on the other hand, this is going to cost almost as much as a flight to the US. Speaking of which, I'm a gambling man and I'm willing to bet we in the UK get shafted as usual <_>

What the hell is a teraflop?? Never heard of that before <_>

Teraflop is a measure of a computer's speed and can be expressed as:

* A trillion floating point operations per second

* 10 to the 12th power floating-point operations per second

* 2 to the 40th power flops

Today's fastest parallel computing operations are capable of teraflop speeds.

In computers, FLOPS are floating-point operations per second. Floating-point is, according to IBM, "a method of encoding real numbers within the limits of finite precision available on computers." Using floating-point encoding, extremely long numbers can be handled relatively easily. A floating-point number is expressed as a basic number or mantissa, an exponent, and a number base or radix (which is often assumed). The number base is usually ten but may also be 2. Floating-point operations require computers with floating-point registers. The computation of floating-point numbers is often required in scientific or real-time processing applications and FLOPS is a common measure for any computer that runs these applications.

Its like having a small Supercomputer at Home ;)

Rudeboy2025

With all that new info...PS3 IS GONNA KICK SOME MORE ASS!! No other system will be better. ;)

Rumors on the Internet already point to $350 for Xbox 360 and $450 for PlayStation 3 or $400 for Xbox 360 and $370 for PlayStation 3 … depending on what source you read.

What do u think about the pricing guys :rolleyes:

too high.. Im not paying $300 plus for some console... <_>

In the $200 I can deal with.

Rudeboy2025

I've read that it will be around 300 bucks when it comes out and probably stay like that for a long ass time. Shit I'll just wait till the price goes down or if I really want it I'll buy it early.

Archived