Microsoft investigating Windows 7 battery issue

DKT27

• Administrator

Microsoft says it is looking into a problem that is causing some Windows 7 users to get a warning that there is a problem with their battery when, in fact, there is not.

"We are investigating this issue in conjunction with our hardware partners, which appears to be related to system firmware," a Microsoft representative said in a statement on Tuesday.

The warning in question uses the computer's basic input output system (BIOS) to try to determine whether a battery needs replacement. For some reason, the signals are getting crossed and some users are getting the message even when they should not.

However, because this warning is new to Windows 7, users moving from Vista should not necessarily ignore the message if they see it. Instead, Microsoft suggests users contact their computer maker to see whether the warning is warranted or not.

Meanwhile, Microsoft says it and the PC makers are trying to figure out what is behind the glitch. "We are working with our partners to determine the root cause and will update the forum with information and guidance as it becomes available."

Source - CNET

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hhhmmm i already got this problem with my battery,mine is dell vostro 1510.just aft 2 months of installing win7 ult,my battery fuc..d.i thought its fault with my battery now.so now i came to know its win7 fault??

u know b4 i got this problem my battery backup is 2hrs but now its just 30 min.see how worst my battery is now??

i hope microssoft soon rectify this problem:dance2:

thanks for da grt news D:lol:

I've got this problem too. After installing Windows 7 on a 3-4 old HP laptop. Battery time is like 10 minutes before computer completely shuts down. I wonder why it has taken so long before this issue became "news"?

There is a long thread at Technet discussion this issue.

• Administrator

That's because M$ is really slow and now they have considered it. :P

yeah its very slow.but y??now i completely run my lappy on power only:fear:

hhhmmm i already got this problem with my battery,mine is dell vostro 1510.just aft 2 months of installing win7 ult,my battery fuc..d.i thought its fault with my battery now.so now i came to know its win7 fault??

u know b4 i got this problem my battery backup is 2hrs but now its just 30 min.see how worst my battery is now??

i hope microssoft soon rectify this problem:dance2:

I've got this problem too. After installing Windows 7 on a 3-4 old HP laptop. Battery time is like 10 minutes before computer completely shuts down. I wonder why it has taken so long before this issue became "news"?

There is a long thread at Technet discussion this issue.

I have this exact problem.

My 1 year old Acer laptop last about 5 minutes before it shuts down by itself, I thought Acer just made poor batteries! :P

C'mon MS fix this you morons...

i got a small doubt:fear:

yeah win7 is software and battery is hardware.hows da relation established btwn these two??:o

MY GUESS - this problem would be rectified in WIN 7 SP1 i think.so if its da fact then we all have to wait till oct /nov 2010:o(but i still cant wait:s)

I have not seen this problem on my 15-month-old Sony laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

wait wait why r u in hurry??:angry:

slowly ur battery will also be fuc,,dpunish.gif

Maybe I haven't seen the problem because I usually run my laptop while it is plugged in for power. I run my laptop on batteries only once in a while to almost completely discharge the battery and then I completely recharge it.

My BIOS was recently updated too.

The article does say that some Windows 7 users are affected, so my laptop doesn't seem to be one of the affected ones. So far, anyway. Keeping my fingers crossed. :fear:

i wish ur battery wil be SAFE,but not like OURS

yeah win7 is software and battery is hardware.hows da relation established btwn these two??:o

what abt this question?? :blink:

• Administrator

The problem is Windows wrongly detecting the hardware. ;)

what abt this question?? :blink:

The original post says:

The warning in question uses the computer's basic input output system (BIOS) to try to determine whether a battery needs replacement. For some reason, the signals are getting crossed and some users are getting the message even when they should not.

That's why I mentioned that my BIOS is very recent.

@sherlock

yeah,i contacted DELL,when i got this problem.u know what they asked me da 1st n foremost question??

whats ur BIOS version??also told me mine could be OLDER VERSION.but i bought my lappy 1yr ago.

mine is dell vostro 1510, ;)

• Administrator

I think you have the latest one. See this. Note the date the latest version was released.

Sherlock Holmes to the rescue again!!

The link provided by DKT27 says the release date is 7/10/2008.

@CometBird: What did Dell tell you to do to fix the problem with your Dell PC?

Sherlock Holmes to the rescue again!!

The link provided by DKT27 says the release date is 7/10/2008.

@CometBird: What did Dell tell you to do to fix the problem with your Dell PC?

yeah see i forgot to tel u very interesting thing here.actually i installed win7 ult RTM IN JULY 2009(but have been using win7 beta since sep 2008 i think).i got battery problem in oct 2009.then i called them.they straightly asked this bios question.n they replied nothing wrong with ur battery.theres something wrong with ur OS WIN7 (.but i didnt believe those words.)

also they said if u wanna change it ,change.but its not compulsory as we could not find anything wrong with da battery.this is da whole story ;)

• Administrator

Moral of the story: M$ is real slow in fixing things that were giving problems from months. :bag:

@D

yeah actually til yest i was thinking that its wrong with da battery.i couldnt believe what DELL said to me.but yest aft seeing ur post i thought DELL is too fast in identifying n diagnosing all da technical problems.big thanks to DELL.

hey D,i am thinking to buy DELL STUDIO.whats ur opinion??i opted again for dell coz its service is very very fine(door delivery service).

• Administrator

I've never owned a lappy so I have no idea but it. :dunno:

I've never owned a lappy so I have no idea but it. :dunno:

its ok ;)

The issue has been declared as an isn't one by Microsoft in a blog post

That was quite a long blog post by Microsoft. They seem sure that the problem isn't caused by Windows 7.

Archived