Best Antivirus/Product report 2009

Peace_Angel

Just to let you guys know that Av comparatives have published their summer summary report and guess what?

Symantec - Gold

Kaspersky - Silver

ESET - Bronze

FYI click HERE for the full report.

Peace.

Reason for edit: Thanks Night Owl for spotting typo.

• Replies 29
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESET ranked 3rd huh....that's good enough for me :yes:

Since Norton 2009 came out, it beats ESET in both system footprint and protection, and Kaspersky 2010 beats ESET in protection and it's not really bloated, I guess that explains everything?

wowhohoohwowoohoho Norton ATW!!!! :dance2:

Just to let you guys know that Av comparatives have published their summer report and guess what?

Typo: That should read "summary" report. This report was published on the 23rd of December.

EDIT: Thanks for this report!

Just to let you guys know that Av comparatives have published their summer report and guess what?

Symantec - Gold

Kaspersky - Silver

ESET - Bronze

FYI click HERE for the full report.

Peace.

I knew it :towel:

Since Norton 2009 came out, it beats ESET in both system footprint and protection, and Kaspersky 2010 beats ESET in protection and it's not really bloated, I guess that explains everything?

ESET v3 and v4 bloated? Since when?

I think it starts when ESET consumes about 40 mb of memory on idle time. :ph34r:

Edit:

Eset is not bloated in anyway, but it consumes about 40 mb of memory on idle time(with idle time I mean it is on real time scan) :ph34r:

ESET v3 and v4 bloated? Since when?

Erm, I dodn't say ESET is bloated? I said Norton has less system footprint than ESET, and Kaspersky isn't very bloated. My Norton Norton 2010 consumes only 5mb of RAM when idle, I can surf the web, listen to songs, play simple games even during Full Scans.

@nivrid05:

I was talking about the features ^_^

@ESET Freak:

I thought you were saying ESET was bloated :lol:

Although I agree that Norton has very low memory consumption.

I think it starts when ESET consumes about 40 mb of memory on idle time. :ph34r:

Well yo know technically.. if you have it setup right it never is IDLE.. Mine is constantly scanning.. a file or something that is accessed..

BUT .. on my first comment I am just stating that it would be hard for me to really say something i the best for the year if it hasn't even been around for the year.. unless this statement is simply addressing program improvements and performance.. Not stating either or is bad/good.. But just questioning the claims.. like those 'Top Ten Best Software Lists' that you find ll over the place... that really aren't that objective..

I mean I use ESS.. everybody knows that.. and some others.. myself.. but I would have to see everything from security and performance ratings to 'In the Wild' test all of the available measures cumulative to a full year's performance total..

@nivrid05:

I was talking about the features ^_^

Yup! my bad, I have edited my post.

@heath28m

When I say idle that would mean it is on real time protection ( not really idle :frusty: )

• Administrator

Hmm I may think about Norton. But how much virtual RAM does it take?

Sometimes, even when a software says it's takin low mem, it can be slow because of many reasons.

But even when I think of usin any other. I'm proud ESET user. :win:

nortonftw.jpg

There, only 8mb.

Btw, I used to love ESET too (my display name says it all). I switched from Norton > Kaspersky > ESET > Norton, I love all three of them but ESET used to be my favourite before Norton 2009 is out because of its footprinting, it's much less compared to the other 2, although I feel safest with Kaspersky. Kaspersky 7 rocks, but when the 2009 version came out, it really pissed the hell out of me. Even with Core 2 Duo and 2GB RAM, Kaspersky managed to slowdown my computer that it even freezes, and the idle memory usage is 100mb! It's really unacceptable, so I switched to ESET, lightweight and fast, but I don't feel safe with ESET 3.0. The firewall is weak, and it missed a few trojans last time and forced me to do a reformat... And for Norton, everybody knows Norton is the best antivirus before it became a resource hogger (a couple of years ago), but since 2009 is out, I'd say the King is back, with small footprint, high detection rates (during tests Heuristics and SONAR are set to Auto, when set to Aggressive, it's impossible to miss! But comes with a number of false-positive tho), cleans the best (there's a comparison for this earlier posted in this forum), simple and easy to use interface.

I also like Eset, but I had some problems with it so I had to find alternative. I tried NAV 2010, and I really like it. I have one year subscription, thanks to my friend karachidude.

Cheers ;)

Norton 2010 is great, only thing I would like to see is for SONAR to ask me what to do when it finds something, instead moving it automatically to quarantine.

Another solution would be that exclucions work for SONAR too.

Hello.

In recent months I used NOD32 but since Seven, I had some dissatisfaction as resource consumption. Time to slow start for me ....

Above we see the great efforts of resource consumption that the developers of Kaspersky or Symantec have done, for example to surpass NOD32 !

I tried NAV 2010 but not to my taste although I applaud the tremendous effort by Symantec to go from last place (or almost... ^_^ ) to be on the podium (Top 3).

Kaspersky and ESET FOREVER !

++

NOD32 user here, using something never been beaten on resources, ever. Don't mind trying out the Norton 2010 antivirus to see whether finally Symantec have succeeded in designing one.

• Administrator

OK, I know the RAM consumption of Norton. I wanna know the virtual memory consumption.

I was thinkin about tryin it but false positives. :think:

Well yea I'm feelin that ESET is goin slow update by update. But is still better than AVG.

The only reason keep the AV installed for the sake of it. I don't feel any big use of keepin a AV that in a way will hog my system.

But as I'm goin for a new and a better desktop soon, I think ESET is good enough for me.

Yeah, that's fixed sometime ago. Recent releases of Norton are much more easier on the CPU than what their predecessors used to be.

Norton? isn't that thing thats slows up your pc ?? or is that fixed now? Btw iam a Eset user :dance2:

Norton fixed that problem with the release Norton Internet Security 2008

Also it is easier to update Norton than Eset or Kaspersky

Just think of Norton's time line in terms of resource consumption

version

2002: ---------------

2003: ---------------------

2004: -----------------------------

2005: ------------------------------------------

2006: -------------------------------------------------------

2007: -------------------------------------

2008: -------------------------------

2009: ---------------------

2010:----------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Resource usage (RAM,CPU)

This is just a graphical way of putting things. they are in no way to the scale or accurate.

I have been a user of Norton from 1998 to 2001. I have used version 2003, version 2007 and 2008 for a short while before finally moving to kaspersky v6/7 and I am currently on the beefiest version i.e. Kaspersky v9!

As a Kaspersky fan, I was so disappointed by the 2010 version! Furthermore, I found it really weird it even did the top 3! But I am glad Norton has taken a very good approach... They are back to the top after almost a decade!

Watch and Learn Kaspersky!

Peace.

Archived