Say Goodbye to Windows Defender (getting renamed)

Karlston

Say Goodbye to Windows Defender (getting renamed)

I apologize for the rather "clickbaity" title; come Windows 10 20H1, Windows Defender will no longer be a thing in the Windows 10 operating system as Microsoft will rename the tool to Microsoft Defender. So, instead of using Windows Defender or disabling it, users and administrators will use or disable Microsoft Defender instead.

Windows Defender Exploit Guard, the native EMET derivative, will receive the same treatment as it will be known as Microsoft Defender Exploit Guard in 2020.

It is unclear if previous versions of Windows, Windows 8.1 will be the last version left standing after the end of support of Windows 7 in January 2020, will receive the same treatment.

windows defender

The most recent build of Windows 10 version 20H1, the first feature update build of 2020 and the first major update since Windows 10 version 1903 1905, comes with the changed names already.

If you check the Group Policy entries for the security tool or the Settings application, you will notice the change right away.

If you run that preview build, you may also notice that some tools or features have not been renamed. Windows Defender Smartscreen is still called that, and so is Windows Defender Applications Guard. Whether that is going to remain or changed in upcoming preview builds remains to be seen.

One question has not been answered yet: why is Microsoft making the change? A likely explanation, and our colleagues over at Deskmodder seem to agree, is that Microsoft wants to use the Microsoft name for services and tools that are available on multiple platforms, and the Windows name if a service or tool is only available on Windows.

• Microsoft -- used for cross-platform products.
  • Windows -- used for Windows-specific products.

It is quite possible that Microsoft wants to bring Microsoft Defender or services related to the security tool to other platforms, and that it made the name change because of that.

Microsoft launched Windows Defender ATP back in 2017 for various platforms including Linux, Mac OS X, iOS and Android, and has renamed the service in the meantime to Microsoft Defender ATP (Advanced Threat Protection).

Source: Say Goodbye to Windows Defender (getting renamed) (gHacks - Martin Brinkmann)

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's because its cross platform now  this will be 4 names it had  it was  GIANT AntiSpyware ,  then Microsoft bought it and named it to Microsoft AntiSpyware,  then they named it too  Windows Defender now Microsoft Defender , Only it became a success because it's free they baked  it in too windows 10  it took them 14 years after buying it  before security researchers even took it serious  as being and option  and still many don't trust  it , I never used it and mom rather  pay  than use anything free.

Microsoft Windows Defender: Finally Good Enough 2018-09-05

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-defender,review-2209.html

Windows Defender: is another thing Microsoft don't really make no money , that's not really as good as others that they baked in too say they have more users than everyone else  , monopolyware

monopolyware
synonym for Microsoft products

http://www.rdrop.com/~half/Creations/Writings/Miscellaneous/everyware.html

They take advantage of Windows users being lazy  or too poor  , if they had there way every thing you used would be made by them they was even sued for it before .🤣

That picture in the OP is ancient.

46 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

That picture in the OP is ancient.

its   a 2009  picture Ghacks is a old  site .

Here what look like in 2004

https://windows-cdn.softpedia.com/screenshots/GIANT-AntiSpyware_8.png

Here what it look like in 2005

https://s7d8.turboimg.net/sp/f2467c24c0a124c47b12e3b77a0bc70b/spywareitsbeta.jpg

I remember it Giant was shareware  then Microsoft bought it and made it free .  But the most used ones back then they was Ad-aware and Spybot they was free , Any Antivirus back then only removed Virus  for spyware and adware you had to use these.

Windows Defender works well with MBAM Pro on family member's PC. I don't use either any longer.

Windows Defender is actually one one of the top Antivirus products now, and certainly as far as free goes probably the best in terms of security and performance and of course compatibility.
I use it now as my full time AV. I update it more frequently than the default settings through Group Policy, think I'll be sticking with it. Just because it's free doesn't mean MS isn't pumping a decent amount of resources into it.

13 hours ago, Ryrynz said:

Windows Defender is actually one one of the top Antivirus products now, and certainly as far as free goes probably the best in terms of security and performance and of course compatibility.
I use it now as my full time AV. I update it more frequently than the default settings through Group Policy, think I'll be sticking with it. Just because it's free doesn't mean MS isn't pumping a decent amount of resources into it.

Windows 10 is a shit show  were they use 3rd party advertising in there OS  many of  its apps is being used by Malvertisers to attack you so using  and Antivirus alone is not good enough  unless they add some ways to block malvertising into there AV witch they don't have yet and they created the problem. Free loaders have ruined Windows  no one paying  for it , so they use ads  to get paid and its being abused.  Windows 10 is surveillance capitalism .  Microsoft created a monster when they made windows 10 ,  How can you take a company serious about security when them allowing  in house ads causes there own security problems? They put profit above your security!!!  Microsoft make a antivirus  meanwhile there other apps infect you with malware .That's a oxymoron .  :clap:

Windows 10 Users Warned Of 100M Malicious Adverts Threat

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/07/18/windows-10-users-warned-of-100m-advert-bombs-security-threat/#382820552f27

Windows 10 is full of holes its calls home to Facebook  and many other  advertisers and now the Malvertisers are onboard   I warned everyone about years ago to be safe you need to remove outlook and all that crap.  Windows 10 is a AD-Ware OS  itself it comes preloaded with adware that's  being abused. 

Back years ago  we used  Ad-aware and Spybot because most all freeware was full of spyware and adware  and they was no opt out  it worked on XP . Things have not changed very much but now its Microsoft making the adware instead of 3rd parties   . They need to nuke Windows 10 and start over if they ever want to make a secure OS. But if they make something else it will be no better  because  it will be designed for profit.

Microsoft always had bullshit security , Windows alone caused the need for a multi billion dollar security industry  that made it rich. (profit) If it was not for all the problems Windows had  every since it existed they would be no need for such programs . Security  and privacy is by design  or it isn't and Windows  was not designed that way , it was designed for profit . Trying to patch it or using 3rd party programs  only slows malware down tell they invent  the next strain that it cant detect and slips by it. Malware writers are always 2 steps ahead  of Microsoft.  3rd parities  for years and years profited off Windows from spyware and adware , now Microsoft  is profiting off it at the users expense . Facebook ,Google and millions of others done it for years  on Windows before Microsoft  did, Data is like gold .

Right Now Windows is seeing some growth 1st time since they made Windows 8 and its not because Windows 10 is any good its because updates run out on Windows 7 next year.  Windows 7 seen lots of growth  for the same reason in 2013 and beyond when Windows XP ran out of updates .  The more users they get on Windows 10 the more Microsoft profit on  advertising sales, it was up 9%.. Windows was invented with one thing in mind profit. :lmao:

Its just Like GNU  Linux we have very little malware but we have some , Android is starting to get lots it also uses Linux but it designed for profit the apps and things it uses is causing all the problems. Google OSes and IOS by design is a security nightmare  just like Windows 10 is because they all have one thing in common they collect data even when your asleep .

MY GNU Linux don't have that problem  if I don't call out internet with and app its calls for none, You can still turn auto updates off.  On Windows 10 and 8.1 it be calling for internet even if there no update .On windows 8.1 you can trun updates off and it still calls out for internet and does stuff in background. Windows 10 is just worse is all because it have all those apps calling home as well.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:53 AM, steven36 said:

its   a 2009  picture Ghacks is a old  site .

Here what look like in 2004

https://windows-cdn.softpedia.com/screenshots/GIANT-AntiSpyware_8.png

Here what it look like in 2005

https://s7d8.turboimg.net/sp/f2467c24c0a124c47b12e3b77a0bc70b/spywareitsbeta.jpg

I remember it Giant was shareware  then Microsoft bought it and made it free .  But the most used ones back then they was Ad-aware and Spybot they was free , Any Antivirus back then only removed Virus  for spyware and adware you had to use these.

Wow! Windows defender still looks similar. Wondering if one can fully rely on Microsoft Defender and replace their existing antivirus suite. Does it have a future with all big names out there making better internet security suites for years. For some reason I feel safe-r having a named antivirus in my PC even though I am careful with my online activities. 

Just another pile of garbage from M$.

Sorry, could not sell, then rename the Application, change the GUI a little bit and then bundle it with other crap...

We have such an old folk saying (direct translation)
"The name doesn't spoil the man."
So, if to explain it a bit, you must understand something similar "changing the name doesn't change anything by itself".

Microsoft explains the Windows Defender rebrand to Microsoft Defender

Microsoft announced that it’s expanding its Windows Defender ATP service to non-Windows devices. Also, to reflect this change, the company rebranded the Windows Defender ATP to Microsoft Defender ATP. The change, however, didn’t reflect on Windows 10, but it now looks like we’re not far away from getting the Microsoft Defender on Windows 10 PCs.

Microsoft is reportedly in the process of introducing Microsoft Defender in the Windows 10 20H1 Update, which is slated for an April 2020 release. And The process of switching from Windows to Microsoft has already begun; in a recently-released Build 18941 of Windows 10 20H1 Update, name of some Windows Defender components have been changed. For example, Windows Defender Exploit Guard has been rebranded as Microsoft Defender Exploit Guard( via WindowsLatest). Make no mistake, the function of this tool remains the same, which is to host intrusion prevention capabilities for Windows 10.

It’s worth noting that the Microsoft Defender won’t be any deferent from the Windows Defender; the functionalities will be the same as before. Nevertheless, I won’t be surprised if Microsoft announces some advanced functionalities along with the announcement of the change in name. And of course, theses advanced functionalities, if announced, will also come to non-Windows devices, including Macs.

Source: Microsoft explains the Windows Defender rebrand to Microsoft Defender (MSPoweruser)

Archived