Media Player Classic - Black Edition is a lightweight video player for Windows

Karlston

Media Player Classic - Black Edition is a lightweight video player for Windows

Media Player Classic - Black Edition has been around for a long time, and I'm quite certain some of you maybe using it. Some of you may prefer Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, which is still being updated.

Both programs are quite identical, because they are based on the original Media Player Classic. In fact, MPC - BE is a fork of MPC-HC, so it can play all video formats that HC supports. But MPC-BE has a few features which aren't available in HC. So, we'll only be looking at what's different in MPC-BE.

Tip: you can check out our SMPlayer and VLC Media Player reviews which are two popular media player options that you may want to check out as well.

A modern interface

Media Player Classic - Black Edition video player

MPC-BE has a modern GUI, with a dark theme for the main screen and all its menus, which makes it easier on the eyes.

Seek preview

While jumping ahead or rewinding a video, you don't have to hit the left or right arrow keys, hoping to stop at the exact time-stamp from which you want to watch the video. You have a preview in MPC-BE, a visual seek bar, which you can use with precision. It is quite similar to YouTube's seek preview. This is an incredible feature to have, and one which is especially useful if you missed the action on the screen.

Tip: You have to enable the preview feature from Options > Interface > Enable preview in the search.

YouTube player

Media Player Classic - Black Edition

MPC-BE can play YouTube videos by default, with no user required settings whatsoever. Copy the URL of the video you wish to play, and select the Open File/URL option in the program. Hit ok and the video should play. You can set the default resolution and format of the videos from Options > Online Media Services.

MPC-BE uses a built-in option which is based on YouTube-dl (another open-source program), to parse the video from the URL. You can even use the player to seek through the streaming video and it works perfectly. It doesn't have seek preview for YouTube videos though. It is perfectly legal to use, since it is only streaming the video, just like your web browser, and you don't need to keep a browser open in the background while watching the video.

Tip: You can enable the same in MPC-HC, but you have to download YouTube-dl manually for it to work.

Settings

The settings page in Media Player Classic - BE is quite different compared to HC's. Mostly the options are re-arranged in the same page, but some pages, for e.g. from the Output settings are broken down into their own sections, like Video, Audio, etc,.

LAV Filters

This is one area where MPC-HC is better by default, because it ships with LAV Filters, ready to use. But that's not a big issue since the LAV Filters are also open source, meaning you can download and install them on your computer. Once you have done that, go to MPC-BE's Options > External Filters > Add Filter and set the LAV Video Decoder and Audio Decoder Filters as the preferred one.

Resource Usage and Output Quality

I did not notice any major difference in the resource usage between MPC - BE and MPC - HC when playing videos. Though I have always noticed that MPC-BE is slightly faster, when it comes to opening files than MPC-HC. The latter takes quite a few seconds to start the playback. It's not a deal breaker though. The output quality is nearly the same in both, but that's probably because I use the same settings and filters for MPC-BE and HC.

I use both versions from time to time, although I will admit that I favor mpv nowadays. I have downloaded mpv.net, which Martin wrote about recently, and it seems to be good.

Source: Media Player Classic - Black Edition is a lightweight video player for Windows (gHacks)

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Karlston said:

This is one area where MPC-HC is better by default, because it ships with LAV Filters, ready to use. But that's not a big issue since the LAV Filters are also open source, meaning you can download and install them on your computer. Once you have done that, go to MPC-BE's Options > External Filters > Add Filter and set the LAV Video Decoder and Audio Decoder Filters as the preferred one.

Better is subjective.  There are good reasons why the author maintains the internal filters. These are also based off ffmpeg as well and share a lot of similarities with LAV as a result.

For most the internal filters are quite likely a "better" choice actually.

" MPC-BE can play YouTube videos by default, with no user required settings whatsoever.".............yes,  :thumbsup:works perfectly in MPC-BE ...................could not get it to work in MPC-HC ......

BTW;  " Tip: You can enable the same in MPC-HC, but you have to download YouTube-dl manually for it to work. "...............

HOW ( !!) , do you do that.........??   :huh:

" Tip: You can enable the same in MPC-HC, but you have to download YouTube-dl manually for it to work "...................

nice tip ; but you cant tell us HOW to use this tip ..................????     :(

27 minutes ago, Pete 12 said:

" Tip: You can enable the same in MPC-HC, but you have to download YouTube-dl manually for it to work "...................

nice tip ; but you cant tell us HOW to use this tip ..................????     :(

MPC-HC is now able to play URLs from Youtube and several other video websites.

This functionality requires youtube-dl.exe which you need to download yourself. Place that file in your Windows folder (usually c:\Windows) to make it available for use by MPC-HC.

Source:

http://codecs.forumotion.net/t2964-about-the-new-functionally-that-uses-youtube-dl#16101

youtube-dl download and info:

https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html

Haven't tried this.

Seems to be very complicated .............will try anyway !

Thanks for your help , will let you know..........:cheers:

OK ! Works indeed in MPC-HC , just put this youtube.dl file in the program folder of MPC  , then execute ( administrator) and it will work .

Put your choosen youtube-url in MPC , it will search the file and play it also................!  :thumbsup:

btw; will keep using MPC-BE , coz I like it more then MPC-HC ......besides it can play all what MPC-HC does also .

35 minutes ago, Pete 12 said:

OK ! Works indeed in MPC-HC , just put this youtube.dl file in the program folder of MPC  , then execute ( administrator) and it will work .

I decided to try it too. I simply put it in my Windows folder. No need to execute it btw. Put your chosen url like you say and your good to go :)

Very good solution !

btw ; may I ask you , why you use MPC-HC and not the ( smaller and faster ) MPC-BE.............?

MPC-BE has no problems with the youtube-urls from the start !

I don't use MPC to view youtube videos directly from the url. I simply download the ones I want to keep and view the others thru Youtube itself.

Very good solution !

Lol. Thank you, but I only followed the instructions presented to me ^_^

• Administrator
On 7/19/2019 at 6:32 AM, Ryrynz said:

Better is subjective.  There are good reasons why the author maintains the internal filters. These are also based off ffmpeg as well and share a lot of similarities with LAV as a result.

For most the internal filters are quite likely a "better" choice actually.

I didn't know MPC-BE did not use them. I found MPC-BE to be performing better in some very specific tests and at that time could not understand why so until I read the article and your comment here.

Is this a better alternative to VLC player for viewing normal videos on your pc like .mp4  .flv .avi 

VLC seems to have some lagging issues 

Archived