Canonical Developer Tries Running GOG Games On 64-Bit-Only Ubuntu 19.10 Setup

steven36

In response to the decision to drop 32-bit x86 support beginning in Ubuntu 19.10, Alan Pope of Canonical and longtime Ubuntu member decided to try running some GOG games under an Ubuntu 19.10 daily build that he configured to remove the 32-bit packages ahead of the actual removal. Unfortunately, his experience didn't go so smoothly.

https://s7d4.turboimg.net/sp/dfcd4082161eba7edc5ba28c5012c700/9c1e.jpg

While Valve has the resources to come up with an effective solution to bypass the Ubuntu archives doing away with 32-bit packages on Ubuntu 19.10, the smaller outfits like GOG may have a more difficult time especially with not being as centralized as Steam. Pains could be involved at least in the short-term for those wanting to enjoy their 32-bit-focused games on newer Ubuntu releases.

Alan Pope tested a few representative games of GOG today to see how they would work put with a 64-bit only Ubuntu 19.10. With three games they failed to install without Wine32 support, the GOG version of Braid meanwhile refused to launch after installation due to being 32-bit only, and two other games launched but with black window (this may be the result of using VirtualBox for testing).

Details on the attempted GOG gaming experience with a 64-bit-only Ubuntu 19.10 can be found via this post.

Assuming Canonical doesn't revert course or scale back their decision to offer at least the most popular 32-bit packages to remain, it could be pain in the short term particularly for gamers. For this "Eoan Ermine" release the feature freeze is already coming up in just two months from tomorrow, which further makes this week's announcement such a surprise to drop it mid-cycle.

Source

• Replies 3
  • Views 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Someone needs to sort it out. They cannot rely on relatively outdated technology just because some games are not running. I once had a software which did not run on 64-bit OS as it was not even 32-bit. But I cannot remain on 32-bit OS just for that software. There needs to be a fix for the problem like this.

56 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Someone needs to sort it out. They cannot rely on relatively outdated technology just because some games are not running. I once had a software which did not run on 64-bit OS as it was not even 32-bit. But I cannot remain on 32-bit OS just for that software. There needs to be a fix for the problem like this.

The problem  with games  most all are 32 bit  , Linux never had no backward compatibly like Windows tell here recently . Now we have some with AppImage , Ubuntu Snap and FlatPac  they can make installers with all the  outdated stuff needed to run in one package . But when it comes with Games on Linux  it gets complicated because your dealing  with Wine and things  and  if it were and old  native Linux game you had you would have pack the whole game in one of the formats that have backwards compatibly so it makes more sense to just keep making new packages of stuff to run 32 bit than kill  it. But Ubuntu devs are over compulsive  and they  got it in there head anything 32 bit is bad so they want to rip it out of the OS...   Steam . 32 bit Wine  and Peazip  are some of the only apps left on Linux they still make only a 32 bit package of but its takes a whole lot of  32 bit prerequisites to make it run and these are the packages  there want to  rip out from Ubuntu's tree.   :hehe:

Anyways  I'm sure  Ubuntu will  figure it  out they always do but if they repeat  past mistakes  like the did  with removing  AMD  closed source driver  before they ever got  working  open source AMD drivers  they will lose users , it was like  a year  i could not even  boot up in  new versions of Ubuntu  in  my Gateway AMD because it had no working driver but AMD and Linux fixed  it in the end ,  but it caused  me to distro hop to other distros   that were still patching the closed source driver   tell AMD  and Linux Foundation put good new ones in the kernel . Ubuntu just flat out dropped support for  AMD systems that were only few years old back then. So they always doing crazy :shit:. :tooth: 

The bad thing about it is Ubuntu based is what most Linux  newbies  go for because its  most easy one to use, so them messing  with games is not good for Linux over all. -_-

Archived