• Defraggler
    • O&O Defrag Professional
    • Total Defrag
    • Puran Defrag
    • Auslogics Disk Defrag
    • MyDefrag
    • UltraDefrag
    • Smart Defrag

Tested Diskeeper and PerfectDisk on different PC running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Found that PerfectDisk cut my reboot time by up to 15 sec as compared to Diskeeper. (wonder how it does this?)

Now.......using PerfectDisk....for the last two months on my laptop and PCs.

• Replies 137
  • Views 44k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@kotaxor

what happened with ultimatedefrag ?

which smartplacement setting you are using in perfectdisk?

@kotaxor what happened with ultimatedefrag ? which smartplacement setting you are using in perfectdisk?

Using UD (latest version), it perform just as good as Diskeeper in term of reboot timing.

I can see not much difference except Diskeeper have this "intell...." which prevent defrag when new files is installed.

But all files are push to the outer layer of the disk which might not be appropriate.

I did not know where to actually place the pagefile, MFT. UD recomended to place them altogether.

But in PerfectDisk, the pagefile is place at the centre of the disk, whereas the MFT is place near the edge. (as long as it works).

I have set mine to "SMARTPlace Performance Aggressive".

Diskeeper Pro Premier for me

I added the poll btw

if there are other defrag apps you use, but are not listed, then please specify them, and it will be added by one of the staff members

• Administrator

@KotaXor: After reading the UD manual and discussing with shought, MFT should be kept in the middle of files in outer side and pagefile should be kept in the free inner space after the outer files end.

@KotaXor: After reading the UD manual and discussing with shought, MFT should be kept in the middle of files in outer side and pagefile should be kept in the free inner space after the outer files end.

That's what PerfectDisk recommended...the pagefile is right in the middle of disk and MFT is on the outer side.

With boot files right at the start of the outer layer.

It put the 'rarely modified" after the 'Occasionally modified'.

With 'recently modified' on the outer layer with MFT.

Diskeeper Pro Premier for me

I added the poll btw

if there are other defrag apps you use, but are not listed, then please specify them, and it will be added by one of the staff members

Can't add to the poll......feel that each have its pros and cons depending on what you want.

Presently using PerfectDisk....but that does not mean its the best.

O&O Defrag Pro on x64 win7 ult ... no complaints so far :tooth:

i have never used defrag apps before,but seeing most people use them,i would give one of them a try :)

i have never used defrag apps before,but seeing most people use them,i would give one of them a try :)

---------------------------------------------------------

I can`t believe you never used a defrag program before ! - You must be kidding ...

If that is true, which I doubt , suggest you install "Utimate Defrag 3.0.100.15 " ( Frontpaged ) and use it -» " Consolidate ", as a start.

Cheers :)

I can`t believe you never used a defrag program before ! - You must be kidding ...

I that is true, which I doubt , suggest you install "Utimate Defrag 3.0.100.15 " ( Frontpaged ) and use it -» " Consolidate "

Maybe he is using SSD!

• Administrator

I that is true, which I doubt , suggest you install "Utimate Defrag 3.0.100.15 " ( Frontpaged ) and use it -» " Consolidate "

Maybe he is using SSD!

SSD in subcontinental countries? It's mere dream.:(

Anyway, after talking to shought about it, Consolidate method is just a easy method that may not speed and help your computer too much. I was a fool to think that Consolidate method was the best. In real, File/Folder method does the job. But that method changes everything. You'll need an updated guide from shought (even I'm waiting) to get it right otherwise you'll do it the wrong way.

But if you both are expert enough, File/Folder will do a great job. :)

SSD in subcontinental countries? It's mere dream.:(

Anyway, after talking to shought about it, Consolidate method is just a easy method that may not speed and help your computer too much. I was a fool to think that Consolidate method was the best. In real, File/Folder method does the job. But that method changes everything. You'll need an updated guide from shought (even I'm waiting) to get it right otherwise you'll do it the wrong way.

But if you both are expert enough, File/Folder will do a great job. :)

Will give it a shot using "Folder/File Name".

@dkt

where should i choose folder/file name

in defragmentation mode or strict placement, sorted by folder/filename under high performance setting

No good......after using UD. Computer took an additional 12 sec to boot as compare to PD.

Defrag twice using folder/file name.

I have my music, video, document and even .pst on a different partition.

• Administrator

File/Folder method will place the files alphabetically. Like I have Asus folder and Windows Folder on my C drive. Now what will happen, Asus folder will be on the top, then comes a folder with B alphabet, then Program Files, then Windows, etc. And same inside each and every folder. What this does is, when program is accessing the disk or a specific folder, all the files in that area would be next to each other, hence making it real fast for the HDD to read the files. In consolidate mode, all the files may not be kept next to each other, consolidate method is what other defrag softwares use. But I think keeping it to automatic mode (50-50% or 60-40% thingy) in options may not arrange it with that method properly, Each and every file may need selecting manually (custom button).

@anuraag: When in main window, on the left had side, click on consolidate button and change it to File/Folder Name (the button is next to Options button). In settings, keep the defrag mode to Strict Placement, sorted by default in both HP and archive. Make sure you have followed shought's guide.

Even UD keeps boot file on the first block. :)

the reason why PD giving faster boot is its placing boot files on starting of disk

UD also kept the boot file at start of disk.

@DKT27

Theoretically, lumping the same program together should give a more quick response for each individual program, but note that some time in a program file, there consist of .cab or even .wma or any Archive file.

These will be place into the inner layer of disk.

Certain program is needed most of the time whereas some program can be in the pc for a long time before being used.

If it is arrange in order, you might find some of the daily required files further down instead of near the outer layer.

What about System files? these should be placed right at the tip, but in UD.....Autodesk is place first after the boot files.

PD will place the most often used first and the least right behind.

As such, system files which is required for booting up will be place after boot file.

• Administrator

Well, Cab files are files used often I guess by Windows, so I never put it in archive. Same for wma and other files. Other archive files, shought has researched enough to keep things fast in most of the cases when he wrote the original tut. So seems unlikely.

Auto thingy chooses and does it all. ;)

UD is the best period ALL OTHERS FAIL-

On the contrary, the 'defrag' industry is presently ruled by 'PerfectDisk' and 'Diskeeper.' IMO, 'Ultra Defrag' is the best manual defragmenting tool - however, it's relatively weak on the 'real-time' front as well as on the 'offline' front.

Unlike anti-virus Users, people who use a defragmenting tool don't seem to prefer doing a manual pass the same way they enjoy running a manual anti-virus scan. :(

Diskeeper would prob be the most popular, since it's being used by windows

I wouldn't go calling UD the best.

like dcs18 said, the defrag industry is ruled by Diskeeper and PerfectDisk

Archived