Avengers: Endgame: All the resurrected, kinda gone and really gone

The AchieVer

The AchieVer

Avengers: Endgame: All the resurrected, kinda gone and really gone

Infinity War’s sequel brings some joy and some sadness. Here's a spoiler-filled look at where heroes end up.

null

Hawkeye, War Machine, Iron Man, Captain America, Nebula, Rocket, Ant-Man and Black Widow in Avengers: Endgame.

Marvel Studios

After the dust batch of Avengers: Infinity War, it's impossible not to go into Avengers: Endgame believing at least few of our favorite characters had to come back. And hoping Cap and friends would somehow find the only way -- the 1 out of 14 million way -- to save the day and make things right again. 

If you haven't watched Endgame and you're still reading, I'm going to assume you really don't care about spoilers. Otherwise, consider yourself warned. I'm going to go through all the deaths, the deaths we hope may actually end up being something less definitive, and the actual resurrections in the latest MCU movie.

spoilers-mcu

Clint Barton's family vanishes

Endgame starts right where Infinity War left off. Instead of seeing countless people vanishing, we get a devastatingly intimate view of what the Snap does to loved ones as Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner) heartbreakingly loses his wife and children.

Cap's beard

The next victim of the movie is Captain America's beard. We knew this major spoiler from trailers and posters, but that doesn't make it any easier to lose Chris Evans' heroic hirsuteness. Hair is a major symbol of how characters change during the time jump, and Cap's clean-shaven chin is a symbol of his optimism for a clean slate.

The Psycho twist

Surprise! Next to die is none other than Thanos himself (Josh Brolin). Captain Marvel(Brie Larson) cuts him down to size, and then a frustrated Thor (Chris Hemsworth) does what he wishes he'd done in Infinity War. This had me thinking Endgame might pay homage to Psycho with a bold plot twist that the movie's main bad guy wasn't actually the main bad guy after all. Alas, time travel came to the rescue and Endgame proved not to be a Hitchcock movie.

The Infinity Stones

Before his head was separated from his body, Thanos destroyed all the Infinity Stones.

null

Scott Lang in Avengers: Endgame.

Marvel Studios

A rat saves the day

Cut to five years later, which puts us in 2023. A random rat flicks a switch and brings Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) back from the Quantum Realm. I know, he wasn't dead, just stranded, but it's good to have him back. Especially because he pitches the whole time heist idea to Cap and the Avengers, setting the plot in motion and ultimately saving the universe. All thanks to that rat!

Valkyrie: Yasss queen

We already knew from posters showing the living in color and the dead in black and white that Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) was probably OK. But it's great to have it confirmed -- and she even winds up taking Thor's throne as leader of the Asgardians.

Thanos didn't get Korg or Miek

Thor's pals from his days on Sakaar survived Thanos -- although we don't say that name. Both Korg (Taika Waititi) and Miek share the pizza, beer and video games that fill the Big Lebowski-inspired Thor's days.

Hawkeye/Ronin gets Akihiko

Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson) is too stressed to cook herself a proper dinner as she searches the world for her old friend Clint Barton. Enraged by grief, he's killing criminals who were lucky enough to survive the Snap. Natasha finds Clint just as he finishes off Akihiko (Hiroyuki Sanada), who in the comics is a member of the Yakuza's science division the Shogun Reapers.

Loki makes more than a cameo

This is a confusing one. We see glimpses of the god of mischief in 2012, when he was keeping the Avengers busy for the first time. Then we see him snoozing in Asgard in 2013, during the events of The Dark World. Technically, Loki was killed by Thanos before the Snap so his death shouldn't be remedied by the second snap. But his escape from Endgame's 2012 timeline with the Tesseract gives us some hope. And provides a possible explanation as to how Disney Plus might pull off that Loki show with Tom Hiddleston. Look, being dead has never stopped him before.

Mjölnir hammers home

I know this is technically an object. But for Thor, it has a lot of sentimental value. The hammer of the gods even has a name! Thor's sister, Hela, destroyed Mjölnir in Thor: Ragnarok, but Thor takes the opportunity to reclaim it during his trip to 2013 Asgard. Arriving back in the present, Thor lends Mjölnir to someone worthy, but that's another story.

null

Black Widow and Hawkeye/Ronin in Avengers: Endgame.

Marvel Studios

Natasha's sacrifice

Close friends Ronin and Black Widow slug it out to be the one who self-sacrifices for the Soul Stone. In the end it's Natasha who falls to her death. Which leaves us with a burning question: what's happening with the solo Black Widow movie? I mean, it has a directorand a cast but it'll be a pretty short movie if the lead character is pushing up the daisies.

Which brings us to the previous character who died so someone could claim the Soul Stone...

Gamora's not a goner

When Thanos jumps from the time of Guardians of the Galaxy to the present, his daughter Gamora comes along for the ride. Unlike Infinity War, Gamora winds up surviving this version of the timeline -- but she's actually 2014 Gamora so she hasn't even meet her lover Peter Quill yet. Luckily her sister Nebula explains how she fell for him because it was either that or a tree.

Nebula takes care of herself

Redeemed and atoned 2023 Nebula kills still-faithful-to-Thanos 2014 Nebula. But since time travel in Avengers: Endgame has a tricky way of working, it's all good. This ain't Back to the Future -- the past version of a person dying doesn't mean the present one has to be dead.

Hulk's snap

As Hulk dons the new infinity gauntlet, Thanos' snap is reversed. Ronin receives a call from his wife, indicating she's back among the living ... and half the universe along with her.

2014 Thanos tries to spoil the reunion, but resurrected Doctor Strange manages to get the revived heroes where they're needed. Survivors Okoye, Rocket, Potts, Valkyrie and M'Baku are joined by the snapped who just came back to life: Black Panther, Shuri, Falcon, Drax, the chick with the antenna, Groot, Quill, Bucky, Peter Parker, Hope Pym and her parents, and a very pissed-off Wanda.

Impaired Vision

Wanda may be furious about the death of her lover, the ardent android Vision, but at least she's restored when the Snap is undone. Vision never even made it back, as he was killed separately. But Disney Plus has confirmed a TV show about the couple called WandaVision, so it looks like the romantic robot will be rebuilt somehow. 

I am Iron Man

Wizardly Doctor Strange warns Tony Stark that if he told him what happened, it wouldn't happen. So Tony employs some magic of his own to switch the Infinity Stones from Thanos' gauntlet to Iron Man's glove. Tony's snap frees humanity from Thanos and his minions, but costs Tony his life.

Cap takes a detour

While on a time travel mission getting back the stones, Captain America decides to finally take a break and start living. It only takes five seconds in 2023, but judging by Steve's face upon his return he's had a lifetime of carpe diem with old flame Peggy Carter.

Source

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MOVIE PLOT AND SPOILER

Spoiler

Three weeks after Thanos uses the Infinity Stones to kill half of all life across the universe,[N 1] Carol Danvers rescues Nebula and Tony Stark from deep space. They return to Earth and join Natasha Romanoff, Bruce Banner, Steve Rogers, Rocket, Thor, Pepper Potts, and James Rhodes. The group finds Thanos so they can take the Infinity Stones and reverse his actions, but he has already destroyed them to prevent further use and is injured. Thor decapitates the injured Thanos. Five years later, Scott Lang escapes from the quantum realm[N 2] and finds Romanoff and Rogers at the Avengers' compound. Only five hours have passed for Lang instead of years, and he theorizes that the quantum realm can allow time travel. The three propose to Stark—now raising a daughter, Morgan, with wife Pepper—that they retrieve the Infinity Stones from the past and use them to revert Thanos' actions in the present. Stark dismisses Lang's theory and rejects the proposal out of fear of losing Morgan, but relents after reflecting upon the disintegrated Peter Parker. Stark designs a device to stabilize time travel. Romanoff finds Clint Barton, who has become a vigilante in his grief at the loss of his family, and he returns to the compound with her.

The reunited Avengers split into several groups for their mission. Banner, Rogers, Lang, and Stark time travel to New York City in 2012.[N 3] Banner visits the Sanctum Sanctorum and convinces the Ancient One to give him the Time Stone. She warns him of the consequences of removing the Infinity Stones from the past, and Banner promises to return them. Rogers overcomes undercover Hydra agents and his 2012 self to retrieve the Mind Stone, but Lang and Stark's attempt to steal the Space Stone fails and Loki escapes with it. Rogers and Stark use the last of their size-altering Pym Particles to travel to the U.S. Army's Camp Lehigh in 1970.[N 4] They steal an earlier version of the Space Stone there, as well as vials of Pym Particles from Hank Pym so they can return to the present. Meanwhile, Rocket and Thor time travel to Asgard in 2013 to retrieve the Reality Stone from Jane Foster,[N 5] and Thor obtains a past version of his hammer, Mjolnir.[N 6] Elsewhere, Barton and Romanoff time travel to Vormir in 2014 and learn from the Soul Stone's keeper, the Red Skull, that it can only be retrieved by sacrificing that which they love. Romanoff sacrifices herself so that Barton can be reunited with his family. On Morag, also in 2014, Nebula and Rhodes steal the Power Stone before Peter Quill can.[N 7] Rhodes returns to the present with the Power Stone, but Nebula is unable to after her cybernetic implants interface with those of her 2014 self. Through this connection, the Thanos of that time learns of present-day events and sends the 2014 version of Nebula to the present.

With all the Infinity Stones collected, Banner uses them to restore everyone that Thanos disintegrated. The 2014 Nebula uses the time machine to transport Thanos and his ship to the present day, and he attacks the Avengers' compound. Rogers, Thor, and Stark confront Thanos, and Rogers proves worthy to wield Mjolnir. Thanos overpowers all of them, then summons the Black Order and his armed forces to lay siege to Earth. Present-day Nebula convinces the 2014 version of her sister Gamora to turn on Thanos, and kills the 2014 version of herself. After being restored, Doctor Strange transports all the other Avengers allies who have been restored, along with his fellow sorcerers and the armies of Asgard and Wakanda, to the compound to fight Thanos' army. During the battle, Stark retrieves and activates the Infinity Stones, disintegrating Thanos and his army but mortally wounding himself in the process.

Following a funeral for Stark, Thor appoints Valkyrie as the queen of New Asgard and joins the Guardians of the Galaxy. Rogers returns the Infinity Stones and Mjolnir to their original places in time and chooses to return to 1943 to live out the rest of his life in the past with Peggy Carter. In the present, an elderly Rogers passes his shield to Sam Wilson.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers:_Endgame

If Gamora is alive at end then who is Peter pinning over on the spaceship and her look alike  (on ship) is not same color and has antennas on head; don't recall Gamora having antenni.

The AchieVer

Avengers: Endgame ends a Marvel era. Here's what I want next for MCU

Commentary: The latest Avengers epic wrote a final chapter, but there is plenty more to come.

avengers-endgame-promo-crop

I'm intrigued by what's next for the MCU. 

Marvel

With Avengers: Endgame, the first phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is over.

The last decade has seen a grand, 22-part opera that revolutionized modern cinematic storytelling. But now this phase, collectively termed the Infinity Saga, is over -- and several of our beloved characters are gone too. This means there's an opportunity to shake things up and really redefine what it means to be an MCU movie moving forward.

Here's what I want to see from the MCU now that Endgame is over. 

Warning: Big spoiler territory going forward. Proceed at your own risk.

spoilers-mcu

Fewer CG battles

Countless sci-fi and fantasy films end with massive conflicts between computer-generated armies. From Starship Troopers in 1997 to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, we've long grown bored with faceless, nameless hordes crashing into each other. Just look at DC's Man of Steel to see how boring city-smashing CG can be.

Endgame's ending ambitiously brings together every MCU hero in a final clash with Thanos and his CG pets. It's an even denser retread of Infinity War's final battle, and while visually impressive, it's a jarring departure from the film's earlier intimate focus on the core Avengers. After sharing emotional moments with the characters we've come to love over the last decade, glorified cameos for the likes of Black Panther and the Guardians of the Galaxy make things less relatable, detaching me from the experience.

Seeing all these guys in action is cool as hell, but we don't need to end every superhero movie with a massive battle anymore.

Bring the A-Force to the silver screen

What's the A-Force? An all-female version of the Avengers that appeared in Marvelcomics in 2015. For a brief moment, we got a glimpse of what A-Force could look like in Endgame when Scarlet Witch, Shuri, Okoye, Wasp, Valkyrie and Gamora backed up Captain Marvel on her push to return the Infinity Stones to their proper timeline.

Sadly, the team-up was missing a key Avenger. Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow was last seen dead on an alien world -- but she's also set to finally headline her own movie in coming years, so maybe we'll see yet another hero resurrected.  

Asgardians of the Galaxy

Thor's journey into space in Ragnarok reinvigorated the series and made me actually care about the Norse god of thunder. Now that Chris Hemsworth has tapped into his comedic side, he hefted around some heavyweight humor in Endgame.

The tease at the end showing Thor joining the Guardians of the Galaxy is just perfect. I anxiously await seeing Hemsworth spar with Chris Pratt's Star-Lord under the direction of James Gunn.

A new Captain America

The peaceful final moments of Endgame saw an aged Steve Rogers pass the baton (or shield) to BFF Sam Wilson. Even Bucky Barnes, the Winter Soldier, gave Wilson the nod. Wilson has taken on the mantle in the comics, so let's see it on screen too.

I'm keen to see the Captain America franchise continue with a character that doesn't have the super-soldier serum, but possesses the same spirit and integrity as the original Cap. Oh, and metal wings are cool too.

Until then, there's still the upcoming Falcon and Winter Soldier show on Disney Plus

Recruit the X-Men and Fantastic Four

Not all Marvel comic book characters are part of the MCU. Previously Fox had its own X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises, but since Disney bought Fox those could now be unified under Marvel.

The Avengers tapped the Quantum Realm for time travel. Maybe they can travel to parallel universes too? 

How does Deadpool co-exist with the rest of the Marvel universe?

But I don't want a clean reboot of the Fox franchises. I'd like to see Marvel Studios find a plausible way to incorporate the existing properties. I'd like to see an MCU where the Fantastic Four and X-Men are already out there, even if those films have proven hit-or-miss. And don't you dare reboot Deadpool.

Standalone stories

This may be a controversial request. Part of the MCU's appeal is the way each movie builds upon the next, with intertwining plot points and Easter eggs for fans. But as much fun as that's been, it also often took focus away from individual films. Watching Captain Marvel, for example, I was bracing to see how it fit in with Endgame.

Sure, let's get the X-Men in there and keep combining characters in interesting ways. But I'd love to enjoy a superhero film as its own standalone experience -- even if it means dialing back on the connections.

The original Iron Man didn't need a cinematic universe to offer a fun time. I'm hoping with the next phase, the fresh start will offer that kind of experience again.

Fingers crossed that the next Marvel movie to hit theaters -- Spider-Man: Far From Home-- will offer just that. 

bad... just bad ideas as i see it...

Roger Cheng seems to be writing stuff from a side that i for one will not like to see anymore...

Spoiler
2 hours ago, The AchieVer said:

there's an opportunity to shake things up and really redefine what it means to be an MCU movie

Just look at DC's Man of Steel to see how boring city-smashing CG can be

final clash with Thanos and his CG pets

we don't need to end every superhero movie with a massive battle anymore

Captain America franchise continue with a character that doesn't have the super-soldier serum, but possesses the same spirit and integrity as the original Cap

don't you dare reboot Deadpool

what da f*** are u talking about?

offensive, rude, sexist, etc... this Cheng needs to get some air and to stay away from any type device (keyboard or keyboard imitation) at least for a while...

I vote for a new forum section called "In my opinion" :P

Archived