Windows 10 1809: full rollout begins

Karlston

With Windows 10 version 1903 just a month or so away, it is quite puzzling that a large number of devices have not yet received the update to Windows 10 version 1809.

Microsoft began the rollout phase of Windows 10 version 1809 on January 16, 2019 but restricted automatic updates via Windows Updates. Only devices that the company believed to have the "best update experience" would receive the update back then.

Administrators could run a manual check for updates and would receive the feature update then if no upgrade block was in place and if the device passed compatibility tests.

Microsoft lists one upgrade block currently on the official update history page of Windows 10 version 1809. Devices who run "certain new Intel display drivers" are blocked from receiving the update via Windows Update. The solution right now is to update Intel display drivers so that they are newer than 24.20.100.6345.

windows 10 october 2018 update

Microsoft updated the "Get the Windows 10 October 2018 Update" support page yesterday to indicate that the rollout of the new feature update for Windows has finally started.

Windows 10 devices will receive the feature update automatically now provided that they are compatible with the new version and don't meet any upgrade block that may still be in place; this is true for devices with Windows Updates set to download and install updates automatically.

Microsoft suggests that administrators run manual check for updates if the update is not offered automatically at this point. This is done by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and activating the "check for updates" option on the page.

It is still possible that the feature update is not returned when administrators run manual check for updates. Administrators may then download the Update Assistant from this Microsoft page to use it to update (or receive information on why an update is not possible).

Closing words

One has to wonder if it would not be better to sit this one out and wait for the release of the upcoming feature update. While it is certainly an option to upgrade to Windows 10 version 1809 and then a month or so later to Windows 10 version 1903, it is probably less time consuming to skip 1809 and wait for 1903 instead.

Windows 10 version 1809 launched with major bugs and Microsoft had to pause the update for about six weeks. It is probably not a good idea to jump on the Windows 10 version 1903 bandwagon right after official release; far better to monitor the update for a month or two before making any upgrade decisions. (via Born)

Source: Windows 10 1809: full rollout begins (gHacks - Martin Brinkmann)

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've been on insider fast ring for more than a month, it's pretty solid. i'm never going back to stable builds anymore. i actually want Microsoft to collect my data to help make Windows better.

3 minutes ago, Sylence said:

i've been on insider fast ring for more than a month, it's pretty solid. i'm never going back to stable builds anymore. i actually want Microsoft to collect my data to help make Windows better.

Wow! You are the customer MS wants at this critical moment

44 minutes ago, Encryption said:

Is it possible to turn off the Windows automatic update?

One of my favourite tech journos has an article here... It's time to block Windows Automatic Updating (Computerworld - Woody Leonhard)

On 3/28/2019 at 1:32 AM, Karlston said:

One of my favourite tech journos has an article here... It's time to block Windows Automatic Updating (Computerworld - Woody Leonhard)

Thanks, M8! Just checked the article. I had turned off the Windows Automatic Update option from Windows Update Advanced Options when I first upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, but it seems that Windows just wouldn't stop updating automatically. And the feature update and quality update deferral setting are 0 by default. Maybe this is the problem, and I should change the setting like the Sheriff suggested.

Archived