Now Check Out The "Cell"

Zeus_Hunt

Zeus_Hunt

This processor will sure kick the asses :huh: :o :o of Intel, AMD's two-processor chip

Because the new Sony's "Cell" processor is can have eight plus synergistic processing cores.

The Cell processor will power Sony's next-generation PlayStation 3 console.

Check out the specs .... :angry:

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15015-1483-x-x-x

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119602,00.asp

• Replies 12
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

intense, fucking intense

this could force the xbox into the processor buisness if it wishes to compete with consol gaming

Cool Beans

Holy shit! I just thought of somthing and I stopped my studying just for this!

Imagine Sony releasing a new Vaio Laptop with Cell Chip power! DEAR GOD!!!!!!!

Sorry for double post but this is awsome!

Cool Beans

The gr8 thing is that they can be and will be used for various applications like mobile phones.. laptops... the game console is just the bigining.... :P

much like their Blu-Ray disc is ganna kick the HD-DVD's ass (has it beat by like 10gigs) :P

sony looks like they're on a corporate ass kicking spree :nono:

much like their Blu-Ray disc is ganna kick the HD-DVD's ass (has it beat by like 10gigs) :x

sony looks like they're on a corporate ass kicking spree :P

Even after the MGM acquisition, Sony aggressively courted any other Hollywood production houses, requesting them to put out their new movies in Blu-Ray format. Studios currently supporting the Blu-Ray disc format include Hollywood Pictures Home Video, Touchstone Home Entertainment, Miramax Home Entertainment and Dimension Home Video. Last week, Sony got a significant gain when Walt Disney agreed to back the Blu-Ray format.

Meanwhile, Toshiba is not sitting idle. Its HD-DVD has found supporters in Warner Bros, New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures and Universal Pictures, representing about 45 percent of Hollywood's U.S. sales of prepackaged DVDs. Support from US film studios is vital in the format battle. Besides, Toshiba is a leading producer of desktop PCs - it can stuff its PCs with HD-DVD drives when they are shipped.

Now I wonder if we would have to have both the players to watch all the Hollywood movies... :nono: :P as

Home Video, Touchstone Home Entertainment, Miramax Home Entertainment and Dimension Home Video will release movies in Blu-Ray disc format

and

HD-DVD has found supporters in Warner Bros, New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures and Universal Pictures, representing about 45 percent of Hollywood's U.S. sales of prepackaged DVDs.

Xbox 2 may make use of the HD-DVD format, if some Japanese electronics giants have their way. M$ is supporting HD-DVD

Apple Computer backing Sony-promoted Blu-Ray disc technology.

hmm, it would be nice if they start packaging them with PCs and stuff. :P

• 1 month later...
Just a few weeks ago, IBM has been completely taken by surprise by Apple’s decision to break the relationship between the two companies and go for a more alluring Intel.

IBM’s attempt to talk the people from Apple into

using the Cell processor the company had just developed for Sony’s gaming consoles was a complete failure.

In order to counterbalance the negative effect Apple’s decision had on IBM’s image, Big Blue has decided to license Cell in order to be used in other areas as well.

According to IBM’s announcement, the first field to benefit from Cell’s processing power will be the medical one. However, what’s really interesting is to see what Peter Hofstee, Cell chief scientist and architect, IBM, had to say about this subject.

After stating his skepticism regarding the processor’s implementation into PCs or even servers, seeing that the software that could really put the Cell to work hasn’t been developed yet :pope: , Hofstee has also commented that the IBM research centers are working hard on modifying the Cell in order to be able to run the Linux operating system.

An alliance between the Cell and Linux would mean a huge step forward for the open source operating system, which once again proves its flexibility and the fact that it can be adapted for the most advanced technologies. Now it remains to be seen which fields would be interested in a Linux/The Cell solution.

I have a feeling that dual burners will be released for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray DVD's. I don't see both sides letting up considering the amount of cash they've pumped into it. It wouldn't suprise me if burners came out shorty after offering to be compatible with the two. Only thing is, it'll be very expensive at first.

I have a feeling that dual burners will be released for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray DVD's. I don't see both sides letting up considering the amount of cash they've pumped into it. It wouldn't suprise me if burners came out shorty after offering to be compatible with the two. Only thing is, it'll be very expensive at first.

Very very expensive ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest !MNc99

Yeah... only problem is that blu-rays are apparently super-super-super sensitive to dirt and scratches..... ye don't want to fuck yer data up when it's on a one of them.

Archived