Windows 10 Version 1809 Now Available for More Users

gvv

Windows 10 version 1809 in Windows Update
   Windows 10 version 1809 in Windows Update

Microsoft is making the update to Windows 10 version 1809 available for more devices, most likely after the December 2018 Patch Tuesday that brought additional fixes for this OS release.

Windows 10 version 1809, also known as October 2018 Update, was originally released on October 2, but Microsoft decided to pull it only a few days later due to a major bug potentially causing the removal of user files stored in libraries.

The update was then re-launched in November, and Microsoft said at that time that it was embracing a more cautious approach, meaning version 1809 would only become available to devices when they are considered to be fully supported, even when a manual check for updates was performed.

“While the April Update had the fastest Windows 10 update rollout velocity, we are taking a more measured approach with the October Update, slowing our rollout to more carefully study device health data. We will offer the October Update to users via Windows Update when data shows your device is ready and you will have a great experience,” Microsoft explained.

More devices getting the update

Needless to say, the rollout advanced much slower than anticipated, as Microsoft wanted to make sure that the update would run smoothly on all devices receiving it.

And this week, Windows 10 version 1809 landed on a new batch of devices, according to reports. I’m seeing user posts (1 and 2) that the October update is now available for a wide variety of Surface devices, including the Surface Go, the Surface Book, and the Surface Pro.

While the update isn’t always offered automatically on these devices, users explain that manually checking for updates from Windows Update offers Windows 10 version 1809. In most of the cases, the installation is completed successfully with no bug whatsoever.

Originally, it was expected that the rollout of Windows 10 version 1809 would be completed by the end of the year, but as it turns out, it could take one more month to reach the final phase.

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the 1809 only getting problems now windows can keep the crap.
I now wait for 1903 the few months
They're supposed to keep the 1809.

God bless us all

I REALLY do not understand the wave of Windows 10 complaints. The number of people the issues have affected are MINISCULE. Some people simply do not like change. I find that the majority of the issues are due to the fact that those affected upgrade instead of clean install. Others simply do not back up. Others do not care to back up or clean install at all. That is their choice.

41 minutes ago, shorty6100 said:

I REALLY do not understand the wave of Windows 10 complaints. The number of people the issues have affected are MINISCULE. Some people simply do not like change. I find that the majority of the issues are due to the fact that those affected upgrade instead of clean install. Others simply do not back up. Others do not care to back up or clean install at all. That is their choice.

Exactamundo!

5 hours ago, shorty6100 said:

Exactly!

Similar post already posted 

Pretty sad that the 70,000 or so folks that lost irreplaceable data are considered miniscule.

Blaming instability or data loss on the failure to back up is just shifting the blame from the true culprit (Microsoft) onto the innocent victims, the users.

And, having to do a clean install every 6 months to get a stable OS is a sad indictment on the quality of Microsoft's testing and updates. Some of actually us want to spend our time using an OS, not reinstalling it.

EDIT: Not 70,000, it was .01% of 1809 installs, NOT .01% of all W10 installs.

I don't believe the number of people who suffered data loss was nearly that high, but regardless, once again, it comes to choice. I CHOOSE to clean install Windows twice a year. I ran into problems far too often upgrading. There is the argument that perhaps Microsoft should re-evaluate its' current upgrade cycle frequency. 

3 minutes ago, shorty6100 said:

I don't believe the number of people who suffered data loss was nearly that high,

Yep, you're right. The number quoted by MS was .01% of 1809 installs. I mistakenly took that as .01% of all W10 installs. Mea culpa.

5 minutes ago, shorty6100 said:

I CHOOSE to reinstall Windows twice a year. I ran into problems far too often upgrading.

You're lucky you're able to work that way, I'd be spending ages after each reinstall installing other software, restoring personal data, tweaking W10 to the way I want it, etc. Just no time to waste on that, so am sticking to W8.1.

7 minutes ago, shorty6100 said:

There is the argument that perhaps Microsoft should re-evaluate its' current upgrade cycle frequency. 

Yep, lots of the tech gurus are saying that but Microsoft remains deaf to those calls and blind to the problems the current methodology is causing. 

IIRC, originally MS were originally going to do 3 feature updates per year.  :rolleyes:

If they made it say one feature upgrade per year, better tested, and added genuinely useful features, that would make 10 a little more attractive to many of we "holdouts". :)

You are right, I guess I am lucky. I DO spend a lot of time tweaking/fine tuning my PC to how I want it, just like you do. I'm an introvert and live by myself and have very little running on my PC at any given time. I can see how painstaking it can be for others to spend as much time as I do reinstalling and fine tuning windows twice a year. Upgrading, assuming there are no issues, is a big time saver. After all is said and done, what do I have on my PC? A bunch of tweaks and programs that make mine look like Windows 7. Hmmmm....

Archived