YouTube is adding ad-supported free movies

Matrix

2018-11-18-image-3.jpg

Forward-looking: In response to demand from users and advertisers alike, YouTube has now added a library of over a hundred free movies and plans to increase that number as much as possible, as soon as possible. Since quietly sliding the free option into their “movie” section last October, they’ve added popular but cheap titles like The Terminator, Rocky, Legally Blonde, Zookeeper and Agent Cody Banks.

The traditional path of a movie is to go from cinemas, to DVDs, to TV. However with the introduction of various digital marketplace models such as paid subscription, digital download and free with ads, things have gotten a lot more complicated. Studios are still evaluating the profitability of this model, so it could be a while before we see some newer hits become free.

YouTube Director of Product Management Rohit Dhawan says that they’re still experimenting. "We saw this opportunity based on user demand, beyond just offering paid movies. Can we do ad-supported movies, free to the user?" he said to Adage. "It also presents a nice opportunity for advertisers."

The reasons users are supporting the change are obvious; everyone likes free movies. Several other platforms, such as Tubi for smart TVs and the Vudu app use the same ad-based model. But the main reason YouTube is integrating more movies is that advertisers have been asking for content that is guaranteed to be family-friendly.

In the last couple of years YouTube has been struggling to keep advertisements off videos promoting violence, hate speech or even terrorism. At the start of this year, they claimed they had solved the problem with better filters, but it was later revealed that their strategy was an absolute failure. By exclusively putting a companies’ ads in front of movies, YouTube can guarantee the brand image is protected.

Hopefully, this provides an incentive for YouTube to push movie studios enough to release some major hits for free.

source

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its pretty cool  useing it  with my adblocker here is link for free movies on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/movies?list_id=PLHPTxTxtC0ibVZrT2_WKWUl2SAxsKuKwx

you have to enable drm in your browser if you use Firefox  .

Tubi TV has way more  movies than YouTube  but they been doing longer

https://medium.com/state-of-the-screens/with-35m-in-investments-tubi-tv-has-established-itself-as-a-leading-free-streaming-service-383c3f6ad694

But you need a good adblocker  with it if you don't want ads .

Haven't we seen those titles more than we could possibly want on TV already? Not sure I'd want to give them more data for my targeted ads to see those one more times.

If they start doing this with premiers, folks like myself who never get the chance to go to cinema will love and endorse it, even with all the ads and crap. Of course nothing beats the cinema experience but sometimes you don't have the luxury of choice.

9 hours ago, BimBamSmash said:

Haven't we seen those titles more than we could possibly want on TV already? Not sure I'd want to give them more data for my targeted ads to see those one more times.

I don't watch TV since 2006 unless its away from home i watch stuff on my computer . If you don't use a adblocker  in this day in age the jokes on you because even if you go to a pirate site  you have way worse ads . As far as YouTube I never get no ads with UBO only one site so far i tested that has ads  that can get around  adblockers so far  that do this is vudu .

Most sites  that give free movies and TV shows away for ads,  i have a list of them, don't work unless you live in the USA are use a vpn or proxy with USA ip. But strange thing  is With most free online radio stations  are blocked in the  USA  and i have to use a vpn with a non USA ip to listen to them.   Most free stuff is subject to geo blocking or/and Drm  were if you pirate it's not no wonder people pirate . YouTube just got started  posting, them there are other legal sites with 1000s of movies and TV shows. But just because its old don't mean i seen it already . I have hard drives full of old movies  i never seen yet . Most days i will be lucky if i can watch one movie or a few tv shows , some days i dont watch any . There is only 24 hours  in one day and we need to sleep. I can download and archive them much faster than i will ever watch them.

YouTube is adding ad-supported free movies

I inform that, in response to demand from users and advertisers alike, YouTube has quietly started adding ad-supported movies. The list already includes over 100 Hollywood productions, classics like “Rocky” and “The Terminator”, as well as other family fare like “Zookeeper”, “Agent Cody Banks” and “Legally Blonde”.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/16/youtube-quietly-added-free-ad-supported-movies-to-its-site/

4 hours ago, steven36 said:

But just because its old don't mean i seen it already . I have hard drives full of old movies  i never seen yet . Most days i will be lucky if i can watch one movie or a few tv shows , some days i dont watch any . There is only 24 hours  in one day and we need to sleep. I can download and archive them much faster than i will ever watch them

Same situation here too  and  I prefer downloading rather than streaming, just for the fact that some days you dont even find time to take a dump properly .

4 hours ago, steven36 said:

Most sites  that give free movies and TV shows away for ads,  i have a list of them

&  hey @steven36 can you share that list pls ?

jaideejung007

YOUTUBE IS NOW SHOWING AD-SUPPORTED HOLLYWOOD MOVIES

906536c483652db09e259b3f60b3b494.jpg

Last month, YouTube quietly started demonstrating advertisement bolstered films out of the blue, giving watchers access to Hollywood titles including "The Terminator" and "Lawfully Blonde" for nothing. 

The stage began advancing the free full length films in the motion picture area of the site in October, where it has sold motion pictures and shows for a considerable length of time. Customers could purchase the most recent blockbusters and prime-time TV programs through YouTube as they may on Apple iTunes and Amazon Prime, however there was never a free alternative to watch the motion pictures in return for business interferences. 

"We saw this open door dependent on client request, past simply offering paid motion pictures. Would we be able to do promotion upheld motion pictures, allowed to the client?" says Rohit Dhawan, chief of item administration at YouTube. "It likewise displays a pleasant open door for sponsors." 

Dhawan would not unveil the terms of YouTube's arrangements with studios or how it parts promotion income with them. YouTube serves advertisements to the motion pictures from its typical pool of promoting request that courses through the stage to its 1.9 billion month to month dynamic clients. 

In the long run, there could be a route for publicists to pay to support singular motion pictures, giving clients complimentary perspectives and restrictive screenings, Dhawan says. In any case, that all essentially relies upon how studios advance their organizations to represent these new computerized spilling windows that are opening up. Motion pictures regularly go to theaters, at that point DVD, at that point TV, and the place for advanced is still not yet decided. 

That is likely the reason there are just around 100 films accessible for advertisement bolstered seeing on YouTube up until now, and a significant number of them are average Hollywood pictures like Kevin James in "Zookeeper" and "Operator Cody Banks." There are a few works of art like "The Terminator" and "Rough," in any case, and Dhawan said the choice will extend. 

The promotion bolstered video-on-request showcase is warming up with organizations like Tubi, which has a free application appropriated on associated TV gadgets, for example, brilliant TVs and Roku. 

There's likewise Vudu, an advertisement upheld TV and motion picture application claimed by Walmart. What's more, Amazon is building up a promotion bolstered video-on-request application, as per publicists acquainted with that offering, who have talked on state of obscurity. 

"Promotion bolstered video is a colossal market," says Farhad Massoudi, CEO of Tubi. "There's a great deal of purchaser footing and I expect all the real organizations will hop in sooner or later." 

The Walt Disney Co., for example, is a conventional broadcasting company preparing to discharge spilling video applications, some of which are relied upon to serve promoting breaks. Hulu is another significant player in the space. 

YouTube has put resources into unique programming, some of which is advertisement upheld, while some is created for paying supporters and is without business. For example, its hit demonstrate "Cobra Kai," in light of "The Karate Kid," is restrictive to YouTube and open just to supporters who pay $10 every month. Different shows, as smith Will's," "where the VIP bungee-bounced from a helicopter into the Grand Canyon, are accessible to all YouTube watchers, yet upheld by promotions. 

YouTube needs more premium recordings to offer publicists, which have developed worried that their promotions will keep running close questionable substance on the off chance that they don't control nature. A year ago, YouTube was under a magnifying lens after real brands were cautioned to their advertisements running inside hostile recordings, some with fear based oppressor purposeful publicity and abhor discourse. Promoters likewise discovered that a program called Google Preferred, which should guide advertisements to just the best recordings on YouTube, was loaded up with substance of sketchy quality. 

Google, which claims YouTube, has been attempting to understand how it conveys promotions on the stages and tap into more secure advertisement stock—the benevolent that could be found in Hollywood motion pictures. 

"This is an enormous business opportunity," Massoudi says. "Low-quality, low-generation video is overwhelmingly what's accessible on the web, and sponsors have seen a great deal of issues with that. They would prefer not to be related with that kind of substance." 

Individuals are progressively viewing YouTube on savvy TVs, where free motion pictures could be an appreciated offer. Very nearly 20 percent of YouTube is viewed on TV sets, as indicated by ongoing details discharged by YouTube, and that is its quickest developing medium. YouTube even as of late enabled publicists to focus on their promotion crusades just to people viewing on TVs. 

The organization is required to produce nearly $9.5 billion, a year-over-year increment of 22 percent, as indicated by eMarketer. 

YouTube has leeway over numerous opponents in advanced promoting in view of its capacity to target advertisements and every one of the information from Google. It can offer a TV-like publicizing item upheld by the focusing on and estimating just accessible web based, as per Tal Chalozin, boss innovation officer at Innovid, a video advertisement innovation stage. 

"They are currently a TV organize," Chalozin said. "They bring the crowd and the dissemination. Also, with better programming they can expand the promotion costs."

Source: AdAge

Using Edge browser without flash & the adguard extension and never see ads on youtube - so I watched a couple of the free movies after seeing this - no ads were seen during movies from their free listings.

@Rickta not laughing at you, I am laughing with you. 

Sorry off topic but these forums should have 2 laughs to choose from. A laugh at AND a laugh with. :) Usually when I pick the "laugh" it is because I am laughing at , usually because someone is stupid or over-zealous. Not the case this time tho. 

• Administrator

Should have done long time ago.

Also, such free movies do not seem to be available yet here.

4 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Should have done long time ago.

Also, such free movies do not seem to be available yet here.

I only test it with USA and Canada ips  and it works fine besides a few caveats 

1. You need and adblocker are you  will have to watch ads

2. Rated R  movies you have to sign in or use a user script to get around age restriction .

3. You have to use DRM because there proteced videos.

4. It may be blocked in some regions so you will need a vpn

5. all the movies they have is just English ones so far

6. they only have English subtitles  but you can use auto translate  for many languages  them but i find that unacceptable  and hard to understand.

• Administrator
On 11/22/2018 at 9:54 PM, steven36 said:

I only test it with USA and Canada ips  and it works fine besides a few caveats 

1. You need and adblocker are you  will have to watch ads

2. Rated R  movies you have to sign in or use a user script to get around age restriction .

3. You have to use DRM because there proteced videos.

4. It may be blocked in some regions so you will need a vpn

5. all the movies they have is just English ones so far

6. they only have English subtitles  but you can use auto translate  for many languages  them but i find that unacceptable  and hard to understand.

Thanks for the information. I do not mind the above, it's just that this does not need to be geo-restricted and available to everyone I think.

6 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Thanks for the information. I do not mind the above, it's just that this does not need to be geo-restricted and available to everyone I think.

That's downside  to most free video sites  even some kodi addons are like  that but thankfully they  change the user agent  in the python script . When in Linux some sites i have to change the user agent to Mac OS  or something to make sites work but not with YouTube .  vudu.com there is no way to block ads in the videos   i have to use a USA ip  to sign in  and change my user agent to  opera /mac os  for it to play lol.

• Administrator
On 11/29/2018 at 2:29 AM, steven36 said:

That's downside  to most free video sites  even some kodi addons are like  that but thankfully they  change the user agent  in the python script . When in Linux some sites i have to change the user agent to Mac OS  or something to make sites work but not with YouTube .  vudu.com there is no way to block ads in the videos   i have to use a USA ip  to sign in  and change my user agent to  opera /mac os  for it to play lol.

I want to ask you a question. Besides Kodi, which Android app people are using these days for streaming. I'm out of touch with these things from some time now. Particularly because my local Android TV box is running a really outdated Android version and I do not know where to start find a newer Android version for it.

Archived