Is Windows 10 Version 1809 the New Windows Vista?

nir

Bugs in this new OS feature update keep making the rounds

Windows Vista is often described as Microsoft’s biggest flop in history, and long-time Windows users probably know this isn’t very far from the truth.

Terrible performance, crashes, and issues every once in a while turned Vista into a nightmare that even Microsoft wanted to let behind once and for all.

And while so many years have passed since then, there are moments when thinking about Vista is pretty much the most obvious thing to do. This is one of those moments.

Windows 10 version 1809, officially called October 2018 Update, is the buggiest Windows 10 feature update in a long time, and despite its rollout already suspended, the few users who managed to install it keep reporting more and more issues.

Basically, the rollout started on October 2 on Windows Update, and users were allowed to get the new OS version by simply checking for updates. A few days later, Microsoft suspended the rollout due to a critical bug that removed files stored in libraries during the upgrade, and although a fix has been shipped to insiders, the October update is still nowhere to be seen for production devices.

Bugs, bugs everywhere.

And as if this critical issue wasn’t enough, the number of bugs making the headlines is increasing every day. No matter if they’re small glitches affecting the overall performance of the OS or critical problems that lead to data loss or app crashes, they all seem to turn the October update into the new Windows Vista.

Microsoft has adopted a rather unexpected approach for the release of version 1809. After being tested as part of preview builds for several months, the company skipped the Release Preview ring of the Windows Insider program and made the RTM build available for production PCs directly.

This means the company skipped one testing stage, which should basically be a sign that the development team considered the October update stable and reliable enough for everyone.

As it eventually turned out, it wasn’t, and the number of bugs found by users is shocking, to say the least, especially after so many months of testing. Below are just a few of the most widespread issues with the October 2018 Update, and I haven’t even included isolated reports that could very well impact more PCs once the new version becomes available for all:

Upgrade bug removing files in libraries

Broken Internet connection for apps (including Edge browser)

Notifications blocked in the Action Center

Brightness lowered on some PCs after each reboot

Task Manager reports incorrect data

No overwrite warning for ZIP files

Audio broken down after the upgrade

BSOD caused on some PCs in version 1809

Backup and Recovery feature broken down

Upgrade issues, some PCs freeze at boot

Activation reset, users required to enter product key

Again, these are just a few of the issues reportedly lately and it goes without saying that there are users out there who may experience even more problems which seem isolated for the time being, but which could get more widespread once the rollout resumes.

For now, Microsoft doesn’t talk too much about the October 2018 Update fiasco, and the company is probably hard at work on getting the release ready for the second time.

By the looks of things, however, users are prepared to handle this new update more cautiously, especially following all these problems experienced after the original release. Unfortunately, there’s no guarantee that everything would go smoother, and nobody can blame users if they don’t upgrade their PCs on day one after the October update goes live again.

Referring to Windows 10 October 2018 Update as the second Vista kind of makes sense given all of the above, but as always, you’re the ones to decide. Is Windows 10 version 1809 the new Vista? Do you plan to upgrade your PC to version 1809 when it re-becomes available?

Just let us know what you think in the box after the jump.

Source

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For now, Microsoft doesn’t talk too much about the October 2018 Update fiasco

Of course they won't. They have a quasi monopoly with Windows. And as long as they won't have any real competition they'll keep feeding us all the untested crap they want.

You know this might sound quite harsh but this behavior reminds me of the infamous nazi doctors in the camps. They just experimented, regardless of the pain and suffering :angry:

coromonadalix

Windows is now an service, not an full fledged OS, not now and will never be perfect

Thats why i double backup everything in case ... of an F@$@!#$% up windows version or a botched update,   if you want to stay "safe"  (sarcasm)  get an relatively good version and stay with it for the longest time you can, until M$oft clear their acts

The Windows ecosystem will be quite the land of adventure after 2023.

Guess I should put on my tin-foiled hat and start worrying about them working on AIs too... seeing how AI is becoming a part of everything.

10 hours ago, spudboy said:

More like the new Windows ME. ;)

Windows ME was a GREAT OS.  Rock solid.  Never had any issues with it.

for me Windows 10 is the new Windows XP/7, but with rolling release like Fedora/Suse, but is ok in that way for me, just that need to be pulled a bit more before release it directly to public, so I hope Microsoft now start to use more the "slow" and "relase preview" rings properly.

4 hours ago, SPECTRUM said:

for me Windows 10 is the new Windows XP/7, but with rolling release like Fedora/Suse, but is ok in that way for me, just that need to be pulled a bit more before release it directly to public, so I hope Microsoft now start to use more the "slow" and "relase preview" rings properly.

Well said. 👌

5 hours ago, dhjohns said:

Windows ME was a GREAT OS.  Rock solid.  Never had any issues with it.

Ahahahahahahaaaaa.... NO.

Am I one of "the lucky few ".............??

This 1809 runs like a jetfighter , no problems ( except missing the Classic Contextmenu )................!

Did not encounter these bugs , no data lost, etc.   :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, Pete 12 said:

Am I one of "the lucky few ".............??

This 1809 runs like a jetfighter , no problems ( except missing the Classic Contextmenu )................!

Did not encounter these bugs , no data lost, etc.   :thumbsup:

me too :thumbsup:

50 minutes ago, DonyMach1 said:

me three :chug: :thumbsup:

Me four 🥂

No problems at all with 1809. I was very very lucky to get it before it cancelled. :thumbsup: This is best Windows 10 so far, and only Messi could score more of all numbers ever seen. Unluckily, Messi is out for three weeks after collision with evil Sevilla man which fractured his right arm radial bone. So there is only one 10 in El Clasico tomorrow, Luca Modric, Golden Ball winner, UEFA and FIFA best player of 2018. 

I skipped Vista though repaired couple of them after virus attacks. I think XP was free model and Vista strictly controlled system which didn't suit for many cowboys. I got this little shock when started using 7 after XP. Luckily Windows gave me a chance to switch bad 7 🍄 to brilliant 10 🍷

I mean, from all the reported bugs here I maybe could say I had some glitches with internet connection, but wifi specifically (Hotspot + Wifi itself glitchy), but nothing that a clean reinstall wouldn't solve.

Did a fresh install, everything is great again. But I must admit, I encountered a few bugs still.

Lowered Brightness - yeah, that happens sometimes to me. Not a big problem though...

Task Manager - yeah, that's slightly annoying, but the Details tab is still reporting well-ish.

Activation reset - yep, had that happen after a clean reinstall, but no big problems there.

The only bigger problem in this release was the Files deleting, but that seems fixed now so I don't understand the backlash a bit.

Archived