The White House is considering an antitrust investigation into 'online platform bias' at Google and Facebook — read the leaked document here

steven36

• Business Insider has obtained a copy of a proposed executive order for President Trump that would ask federal law enforcement to "thoroughly investigate whether any online platform has acted in violation of the antitrust laws," to "protect competition among online platforms and address online platform bias."
  • Trump has previously said, "Social Media is totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices."
  • He has also stated, wrongly, that Google discriminated against his State of the Union speech.
  • There is no evidence that either Google or Facebook systematically discriminate against conservatives.
  • The White House has sought to distance itself from the draft text. A spokeswoman said Saturday that "this document is not the result of an official White House policymaking process."

https://s7d7.turboimg.net/sp/24a1f3b009cde01dfcdcea5b5161a103/gtf.jpg

The White House has drafted a text of a proposed executive order for President Donald Trump that would trigger an antitrust investigation into Google and Facebook, according to a copy of the document obtained by Business Insider. The existence of the draft was first reported by Capital Forum.

The proposed text focuses on "bias" at the companies:

"Whether reading news or looking for local businesses, citizens rely on search, social media, and other online platforms to provide objective and reliable information to shape a host of decisions ranging from consumer purchases to votes in elections. Because of their critical role in American society, it is essential that American citizens are protected from anticompetitive acts by dominant online platforms. Vibrant competition in the online ecosystem is essential to ensuring accountability for the platforms that hold so much sway over our economy and democratic process."

"… Executive departments and agencies with authorities that could be used to enhance competition among online platforms (agencies) shall, where consistent with other laws, use those authorities to promote competition and ensure that no online platform exercises market power in a way that harms consumers, including through the exercise of bias."

"... Not later than 30 days from the date of this order, agencies shall submit to the Director of the National Economic Council an initial list of (1) actions each agency can potentially take to protect competition among online platforms and address online platform bias."

The order also commands federal agencies to "thoroughly investigate whether any online platform has acted in violation of the antitrust laws."

The president and other conservatives have repeatedly complained that they believe Facebook and Google (owned by corporate parent Alphabet) bias the way they show news to users by dampening down conservative voices or outlets. In August, Trump tweeted, "Social Media is totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices. Speaking loudly and clearly for the Trump Administration, we won't let that happen. They are closing down the opinions of many people on the RIGHT, while at the same time doing nothing to others......."

Trump later claimed that Google did not highlight his State of the Union speech on its front page even though it had always done that for President Obama. But that allegation turned out to be entirely false. Google promoted Trump's State of the Union event in the same way it did for Obama.

Facebook has removed some conservative commentators from its platform, such as the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, after they broke Facebook's rules against "glorifying violence" and "hate speech" against minorities. Many conservatives believe that shows the platforms do not give them a fair shake.

But there is no evidence that either Facebook or Google systematically discriminates left or right.

The draft order is reportedly in its preliminary stages, though the White House sought to distance itself from the text on Saturday, according to The Washington Post.

"Although the White House is concerned about the conduct of online platforms and their impact on society, this document is not the result of an official White House policymaking process," deputy White House press secretary Lindsey Waters said in a statement.

Three White House aides also told The Post they neither wrote the draft order, nor had any idea where it came from. Another senior official told The Post that the document was, indeed, known around the White House, but had not undergone the formal drafting process.

While the political bias aspect of the order would likely be the most controversial aspect, it would also be the least threatening to either Google or Facebook. The First Amendment to the US Constitution bans the government from restricting or imposing speech. Federal authorities cannot require any company to publish views it favors.

The more worrying aspect of the draft, from the point of view of the companies, is the antitrust aspect. That could cost the companies real money. The European Union recently fined Google $5 billion for abusing its power over phone manufacturers through its dominance of Android; and $2 billion for its distortion of shopping search results that favored Google's own properties over superior independent results.

Google has a dominance of the search market that approaches 90% or more in many markets. And between them, Google and Facebook receive 90% of all new advertising dollars spent on the web. Facebook and Google capture 71% of all digital ad spending in Europe, according to analyst Brian Weiser at Pivotal Research.

Here is the full text of the draft order seen by Business Insider:

EXECUTIVE ORDER TO PROTECT COMPETITON AND SMALL BUSINESSES FROM BIAS IN ONLINE PLATFORMS

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and in order to protect American consumers and workers and encourage competition in the U.S. economy, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Policy. Online platforms are central to American commerce and the free flow of news and information. Whether reading news or looking for local businesses, citizens rely on search, social media, and other online platforms to provide objective and reliable information to shape a host of decisions ranging from consumer purchases to votes in elections. Because of their critical role in American society, it is essential that American citizens are protected from anticompetitive acts by dominant online platforms. Vibrant competition in the online ecosystem is essential to ensuring accountability for the platforms that hold so much sway over our economy and democratic process.

[Can expand this section, if necessary, to provide more detail on role of platforms and the importance of competition]

Section 2. Agency Responsibilities. (a) Executive departments and agencies with authorities that could be used to enhance competition among online platforms (agencies) shall, where consistent with other laws, use those authorities to promote competition and ensure that no online platform exercises market power in a way that harms consumers, including through the exercise of bias.

(b) Agencies with authority to investigate anticompetitive conduct shall thoroughly investigate whether any online platform has acted in violation of the antitrust laws, as defined in subsection  of the first section of the Clayton Act, 15 U.S.C. § 12, or any other law intended to protect competition.

(c) Should an agency learn of possible or actual anticompetitive conduct by a platform that the agency lacks the authority to investigate and/or prosecute, the matter should be referred to the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice and the Bureau of Competition of the Federal Trade Commission.

(d) Not later than 30 days from the date of this order, agencies shall submit to the Director of the National Economic Council an initial list of (1) actions each agency can potentially take to protect competition among online platforms and address online platform bias; (2) any relevant authorities and tools potentially available to enhance competition among and protect the users of online platforms.

(e) Not later than 60 days from the date of this order, agencies shall report to the President, through the Director of the National Economic Council, recommendations on agency-specific actions in response to paragraphs (d) of this section. Such recommendations shall include a list of priority actions, including rulemakings, as well as timelines for completing those actions.

Section 3. General Provisions. (a) This order shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(b) Independent agencies are strongly encouraged to comply with the requirements of this order.

(c) Nothing in this order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to a department or agency, or the head thereof; or

(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(d) This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

Source

• Replies 13
  • Views 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so a paranoid president drives the policy behind the text and he too scared to admit  it.... there is no way this has any semblance of coherent thought in any of it....other the ramblings of a  conspiracy lunatic

again I got say...you post stuff like this you gotta expect the differing points of view...that also happens to be the actual truth by the way....and NOT BE TOO UPSET WITH THE RESPONSES YOU GET

4 hours ago, dMog said:

so a paranoid president drives the policy behind the text and he too scared to admit  it.... there is no way this has any semblance of coherent thought in any of it....other the ramblings of a  conspiracy lunatic

again I got say...you post stuff like this you gotta expect the differing points of view...that also happens to be the actual truth by the way....and NOT BE TOO UPSET WITH THE RESPONSES YOU GET

Your point is moot , really because what will happen will happen and it will up to congress not Trump  what Big Techs fate is .. The problem is not just Trump the problem is he kept getting hunderds of letters from people complaining about it. It's 85% of Republicans fell this way.

On  September 25th, and Pew data shows 85 percent of Republicans believe tech companies censor political speech.

repubs are NOT the be all end all for actual truth....on any matter... nor is the president...he lies on average 9 times a day...but Repubs think he is telling the truth...end of story...all i am saying partisan politics SELDOM  if ever is based on so much as a shred of truth and the sooner  BOTH  parties start acting better the USA will continue to suffer the consequences 

19 minutes ago, dMog said:

repubs are NOT the be all end all for actual truth....on any matter... nor is the president...he lies on average 9 times a day...but Repubs think he is telling the truth...end of story...all i am saying partisan politics SELDOM  if ever is based on so much as a shred of truth and the sooner  BOTH  parties start acting better the USA will continue to suffer the consequences 

See that's were your breaking the rules here and expressing your liberal  bias view points saying they dont tell the truth.. Thats whats wrong with the internet to day everyone is  brain washed from  the main stream media . If it were not for the Republic they would be slaves still in the USA today they been  more Republican presidents than Democrat presidents. You live in Canada and what you say  dont make a difference no way.  But what you say is breaking the rules and pisses off Republican members.

There have been 19 Republican presidents since Abraham Lincoln first ran as a Republican to win the presidency in 1861. Even though the Democratic party has been around longer than the Republican party, there have only been 13 Democrat presidents.

https://www.thoughtco.com/which-presidents-were-republican-105451

85% of Conservatives Believe Social Networks Censor Political Speech, According to Pew Study

https://www.adweek.com/digital/85-of-conservatives-believe-social-networks-censor-political-speech-according-to-pew-study/

Not much has changed  instead   of slave owners getting rich  from manual labor  today everyone is slaves to a handful of tech companies who get rich from providing  them with free services  witch is technical  slavery  if a small startup tries to get in they don't have a chance . Even the news they see is contorted  by them, Even slave owners gave there slaves free things like food and and a place too sleep.  And many stated on  as workers  after it got broke up.  Everyone in the free world are just slaves to US capitalism today. and that's why you see the EU and even the US Government starting to fight back. Any company that was based in the USA that thought they was bigger than the Government got there wings clipped in the past.:clap:

What the other slaves called a man who took up for there owners a Uncle Tom back then , we call a technical  slave of today a fan boy or a shill ... :rofl:

What you see going on out in the West Cost is just a group trying to stay in control of the country's money the richest men in the world businesses are on the west cost  , back in the 1800s  all the rich people were in the south  were they held  a monopoly over the rest of the USA.

Monopoly was invented to demonstrate the evils of capitalism.

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170728-monopoly-was-invented-to-demonstrate-the-evils-of-capitalism

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

See that's were your breaking the rules here and expressing your liberal  bias view points saying they dont tell the truth.. Thats whats wrong with the internet to day everyone is  brain washed from  the main stream media . If it were not for the Republic they would be slaves still in the USA today they been  more Republican presidents than Democrat presidents. You live in Canada and what you say  dont make a difference no way.  But what you say is breaking the rules and pisses off Republican members.

https://www.thoughtco.com/which-presidents-were-republican-105451

85% of Conservatives Believe Social Networks Censor Political Speech, According to Pew Study

https://www.adweek.com/digital/85-of-conservatives-believe-social-networks-censor-political-speech-according-to-pew-study/

A quote from my post you may not have seen this line

all i am saying partisan politics SELDOM  if ever is based on so much as a shred of truth and the sooner  BOTH  parties start acting better the USA will continue to suffer the consequences 

Just now, dMog said:

A quote from my post you may not have seen this line

all i am saying partisan politics SELDOM  if ever is based on so much as a shred of truth and the sooner  BOTH  parties start acting better the USA will continue to suffer the consequences 

My personal  view point I don't believe hes going about for the right reason i think they should go after for things like the EU is but something is better than nothing . Something needs  to be done about them Tech Gaints  out on the west cost.

aside from the fact that i am CANADIAN.... and a conservative ... but i refuse to drink the current  brand of kool-aid

offered by what is passing as the conservative regime in America...in other words, i see through the facade

Just now, dMog said:

aside from the fact that i am CANADIAN.... and a conservative ... but i refuse to drink the current  brand of kool-aid

offered by what is passing as the conservative regime in America...in other words, i see through the facade

I'm  not conservative nether am i a liberal I'm and Independent i have voted for both parties before.

Just now, steven36 said:

My personal  view point I don't believe hes going about for the right reason i think they should go after for things like the EU is but something is better than nothing . Something needs  to be done about them Tech Gaints  out on the west cost.

The point is ,the ONLY  reason trump  GOING AFTER THEM IS THAT IN HIS MIND THEY ARE OUT TO GET HIM...  if they were willing to lie in support of him he would be ok with that... and hat in a nut shell is why i hate politics of this kind....partisan to the core and the core is corrupt and people refuse to see it unless it unless it is done by the so called other party

Just now, steven36 said:

I'm  not conservative nether am i a liberal I'm and Independent i have voted for both parties before.

then you should be appalled by what is taking place in the name of democracy down there

6 minutes ago, dMog said:

The point is ,the ONLY  reason trump  GOING AFTER THEM IS THAT IN HIS MIND THEY ARE OUT TO GET HIM...  if they were willing to lie in support of him he would be ok with that... and hat in a nut shell is why i hate politics of this kind....partisan to the core and the core is corrupt and people refuse to see it unless it unless it is done by the so called other party

Well  it would of happened for something sooner or latter anyway,  it's not  like big tech is the good guys anyway  keep in mind Facebook has been being investigated for months  for  help causing voter fraud  that's the only thing congress seems to want to investigate now days. Whats this about swaying the vote ? :tooth:

38 minutes ago, dMog said:

then you should be appalled by what is taking place in the name of democracy down there

No i dont care, they all can kill each other for all i care , I'm for the poor people and middle class in my area  only , if  it dont help us it dont matter in my world and i fell like the way you fell has to do with the way they threaten  your country with free trade  witch i dont see nothing wrong with trading with Canada they not a under paid country that causes us to lose jobs. . I'm all for them losing everything they got so they can see how it fells

. Maybe things will get better soon, but i been thinking  that for all the 21st century and they  never did in my area . That's the reason i never liked Obama i remember thinking maybe things would get better around here when he got in office and they  just got worse all he done was make good speeches  for 8 years. And if things dont get no better under Trump i  will not have a high opinion of him ether. Talk is cheap  lets see some real action . I kind of let Bush slide because he had a lot to deal with  i try not to think about him at all  I was better off then than I am now... :P

Archived