How China's GPS 'rival' Beidou is plotting to go global

nir

China has ambitions for its rapidly expanding Beidou satellite navigation system to serve the whole world, not just Asia, but will it really be able to rival the well-established - and US-owned - GPS system?

Dalintai - a herder in northern China - used to travel miles every day on his motorcycle to deliver water for his livestock.

Now, according to the the Xinhua news agency, all he has to do is send a text message to operate an automated water delivery system.

"I am able to deliver water to my sheep and cattle wherever and whenever I want via this system," he says.

The message is relayed over China's expanding Beidou satellite navigation system, which is already being used used for transport, agriculture and even precision missiles.

Originally designed for the Chinese military to reduce reliance on the US-owned GPS, Beidou has turned into a commercial opportunity as its coverage has expanded.

Last month, local authorities ordered 33,500 - about half of all taxis - in Beijing to install Beidou, and the Chinese government has set a goal that all new cars will be Beidou-guided by 2020.

Domestic phone brands such as Huawei, Xiaomi and OnePlus are now Beidou-compatible, although Apple did not add the Chinese system to its new line-up of iPhones announced on 12 September.

China is increasingly keen to promote its technological prowess to the rest of the world.

• China's Beidou GPS-substitute opens to public in Asia
  • China GPS rival Beidou starts offering navigation data

Yang Changfeng, the system's chief designer, has been vocal about his country's ambition to attract more overseas clients.

"China's Beidou is the world's Beidou, and the global satellite navigation market is certainly Beidou's market," he told Global Times last year.

Read the full article at the source.

Source

• Replies 4
  • Views 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it's possible i think in the 2023 China will dominate the US. and Russia on everything and that is New superpower replace US. completely.

3 hours ago, MISSYOU said:

Yes it's possible i think in the 2023 China will dominate the US. and Russia on everything and that is New superpower replace US. completely.

lol their peasants are suffering because a couple of tariffs, they have to steal tech from other countries because they're useless, hell they can't even design processors lmao. What are you on about?

US-owned GPS, China-owned GPS, EU-owned GPS, Russia-owned GPS, India-owned GPS (not sure, forgot about it, sorry)... why complaining when we, citizens, have the choice and opportunity to use them all, without state-controlled restrictions?

Can Chinese manufactured goods be reliably trusted now ?   

Imagine part of their need for their own gps is the security of china's growing military empire as well as their spying intents.

Archived