Would YOU have done this?

Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund

Salina, KS - Kansas Man Doesn't Regret Giving Up $1 Million Ticket

lato-512x284.jpg

Salina, KS - A Kansas man who returned a $1 million lottery ticket to a customer who left it on a store counter says he has no regrets about giving up the prize money.

Kal Patel, whose parents own the Pit Stop convenience store in Salina, returned the ticket to a longtime customer after tracking him down in his car.

“Good deeds come back to help you, and bad deeds come back to haunt you,” he said this week. “It felt good to find it and then find them.”

The winner, who has chosen to remain anonymous, bought three tickets at a store in nearby Lincoln, but went to the Pit Stop — his neighborhood convenience store — to check if they were winners. The clerk checked two tickets and the winner accidentally left the third on the counter, The Salina Journal reported.

When clerk Andy Patel ran the numbers and discovered it was a $1 million winner, he called Kal Patel.

“He said six zeroes were popping up on the screen,” said Kal Patel, who is not related to Andy. “We couldn’t believe it.”

Kal Patel knew who the customer was based on the clerk’s description and knew the area where he lived. He drove around the neighborhood once but couldn’t find the man’s house. He returned to the store, but later decided to give it another try. That time, he found saw the man and his brother driving away and was able to stop them.

“I showed them the ticket and told them they were winners,” he said. “They started shaking. They couldn’t believe it.”

Friends have chided Kal Patel for giving up the $1 million, but he said he didn’t want to live with the guilt of keeping the money.

“It felt good to give it to them,” he said. “And the praise we got back from everyone for doing this was really nice. They said it restored their faith in humanity.”

KWCH reports that Wichita law firm DeVaughn James Injury Lawyers this week gave Kal a $1,200 check to reward him for his good deed

• Replies 8
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes is hard to believe. Glad there is still exist person like this in this world and today.

I myself return $100.00  and an overpay by the Human Resources department.

I4rg£8all8ag

Love to say yes.... Sorry but hell NO

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, again if

a good human attitude. he has a good work insurance

• Administrator

My answer would be yes.

We need more people like him or people who do selfless things like he did. It should be a basic human courtesy to do that.

I did. It is not that big but still I gave it to the right man.
When I was still a high schooler, I found a wallet packed full of money which I estimate could be more than 20K of our currency.
You can buy a kilo of rice for only 8 of our currency.

• 2 weeks later...
Katzenfreund

Regarding the OP question, someone said,

"There's no real answer to a hypothetical question".

Whatever one says, even if he truly believes it, he may act differently when the real situation presents itself.

But my comment on the story is that the honest finder should have received far more than $1,200. It is unwritten but customary to give the finder 3-5% of the worth, so he should have got from the winner $30-50,000. If the latter didn't voluntarily give him that sum, he wasn't worth being given the ticket he had lost.

Now, thinking retrospectively, if I knew beforehand that he wouldn't have given me at least 3%, then I wouldn't have returned the ticket. And this is the only answer to the question I can give.

• Administrator

I would have given it back even if I would have known that I would get nothing out of it. But that's my view and I do not expect or request anyone to do that.

Archived