Software Updater Programs !?

Jime234

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad!

In some distant past tested many and as ever ended disappointed with all.

Particular (don't remember) to have used, but wouldn't have no high hopes for ;)

Using SUMo for a long time now , its one of the best "updaters" , free or paid .

Though it misses some updates sometimes , its usefull............:rolleyes:

Update each software yourself,  putting too much trust in these software is how people could get malware ..

Edited:

Some of these updaters dont get the file directly from the ACTUAL SITE OF THE SOFTWARE being updated. And When this happens 

Some even force updates with BETAS when you want STABLE Versions of Apps. This will be critical especially if you have REGISTERED programs that require RE-REGISTRATION on every MAJOR VERSION (you know new key and a new payment if you do it legally).

Also note: there are cases where an old software is better than the new version because of the bloatware... or worst the newer version is not supported on your OS. (I still like to wait before updates like i-tunes or windows OSes and see the reactions of those who have used it before adopting it.. Better them crying that such and such doesn't work and they are having a hard time reverting back to the older version)

The worst case is when they interfere with stuff like system drivers of installed hardware.. Everyone knows that bad driver updates may break your OS. 

whilst i do use SUMO to check for recent updates, i still prefer to use PATCHMYPC as it also installs the updates whereas SUMO doesn't

32 minutes ago, teodz1984 said:

Update each software yourself,  putting too much trust in these software is how people could get malware ..

unfortunately it can happen to legit businesses, CCleaner was hacked less than a year ago, i just update as and when i need to, usually 1 or 2 updates behind the current one

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/18/16325202/ccleaner-hack-malware-security

• I see u are on nsane... An active nsane user ?. Here are many apps that are being "noticed" quite fast (best one ... if the site is up and running :P).
  • More and more apps are adding built-in update notifications so u don't have to use a 3rd party app or website unless u want to see or let the others know what they or u've encountered with the latest update. It is not wise to enable the update check or let the app access the internet in many cases though.
  • When fresh installing Windows, i use https://ninite.com/ for about 50% of the apps i use (the hot 50%... these are the most used/trusted/frequently updated/next, next, next...) and then i rerun it once in a while.

14 hours ago, sefton22 said:

whilst i do use SUMO to check for recent updates, i still prefer to use PATCHMYPC as it also installs the updates whereas SUMO doesn't

unfortunately it can happen to legit businesses, CCleaner was hacked less than a year ago, i just update as and when i need to, usually 1 or 2 updates behind the current one

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/18/16325202/ccleaner-hack-malware-security

ok so SUMO sounds right, as I prefer to download the softwares by myself, although PMP sounds good too

bad if you use it under your responsibility, good enough to add viruses and malware .... It is not recommended! :P

Kyle_Katarn

Hello,

I'm the developper from SUMo. Please come to me :

- if you have feedback to make SUMo even better

- if you need assistance

- if you want a coupon code for a discount of genuine licence.

Let me expound on my last statement:

Some of these updaters dont get the file directly from the ACTUAL SITE OF THE SOFTWARE being updated. And When this happens 

Some even force updates with BETAS when you want STABLE Versions of Apps. This will be critical especially if you have REGISTERED programs that require RE-REGISTRATION on every MAJOR VERSION (you know new key and a new payment if you do it legally).

Also note: there are cases where an old software is better than the new version because of the bloatware... or worst the newer version is not supported on your OS. (I still like to wait before updates like i-tunes or windows OSes and see the reactions of those who have used it before adopting it.. Better them crying that such and such doesn't work and they are having a hard time reverting back to the older version)

The worst case is when they interfere with stuff like system drivers of installed hardware.. Everyone knows that bad driver updates may break your OS. 

DelMember26
59 minutes ago, Kyle_Katarn said:

This one has automatic download of update but only works for very limited software (approx 300) while SUMo works for 90.000+ :)

https://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

yeah, sumo is great but user have to goto applications site and download and install them manually.

while patchmypc offers automatic downloads and install and updates.and it have 300 apps which covers most of the popular apps, plus its increasing its database regularly.this would be the choice for anyone who have to manage many apps in multiple systems or just want to waste minimum time in updating and installing in a single pc.

i'm not deprecating any software mentioned in this topic, but for my part, i always check the changelog first

if the changes worth it, then i update the program by myself. if not, i pass of course.

New doesn't always mean better!

i do updates especially when i reinstall the OS or when i commit a full system image restore

and i never allow to fresh Windows updates to install themselves automatically! 

After reading reports and feedbacks to see if there is any problem with new released ones, i download them and manually install them.

Sometimes, i even update nothing since all is working fine

i just use my computer and forget about all those maintenance tasks till i judge it's necessary. :)

Kyle_Katarn
2 minutes ago, Jordan said:

i'm not deprecating any software mentioned in this topic, but for my part, i always check the changelog first

if the changes worth it, then i update the program by myself. if not, i pass of course.

New doesn't always mean better!

i do updates especially when i reinstall the OS or when i commit a full system image restore

and i never allow to fresh Windows updates to install themselves automatically! 

After reading reports and feedbacks to see if there is any problem with new released ones, i download them and manually install them.

Sometimes, i even update nothing since all is working fine

i just use my computer and forget about all those maintenance tasks till i judge it's necessary. :)

Then you'd better check SUMo. It does not automatically install anything BUT leads you as close as possible to the Changelog / download links on developper's site.

Just now, Kyle_Katarn said:

Then you'd better check SUMo. It does not automatically install anything BUT leads you as close as possible to the Changelog / download links on developper's site.

Never used this kind of programs and not planning to start anytime soon.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

ok guys, tysm for your feedbacks ...

now I recalled about driver updates, I used to have drp driver packs for my driver updates but recently it installed such drivers which actually messed up my system !

So I relied on windows updates driver updates and it worked for a while but now it seems it does not support driver updates anymore..

So do you know any good driver updater programs ? 

Driver updaters are hit and miss because sometime their detection is not spot on, and the worst thing is hardware going wrong because of botched updates.

I did try 3dnet because this help me get online on OSES like Win 8 7 and XP with the necesssary network drivers...

There is a 3dchip version but i use it with a grain of salt..

i don't belive in driver packs because these are collection of a large number of drivers. most which you will never use..

Best is to go to the site of the manufacturers of the hardware you use and get them from there. 

DelMember26

@Jime234 this is how i prefer driver updates.

1. try to find drivers for the os version you are running from the manufacturer site.

2. if 1st option not available then try to use hwinfo app and use listed hardware id and try to find drivers directly from hardware site. 

3. if 2nd option doesnt work, then use windows 10 update (or wumt).

4. if 3rd option doesnt work then use SDIO package. (sdio have best driver detection algorithm and until now it haven't let me down., and dont use any other apps for driver installing, i have spent enough time managing many systems and experimenting with many 3rd party apps for drivers and my experience says sdio (dont confuse it with sdi) is the best, while some others driver installer not only bad but they can actually wreck your perfectly fine system.

but honestly if i'm in a hurry in managing any system, i just prefer sdio, it works very fine.

DelMember26
6 minutes ago, jbleck said:

yep... the dev ( @Kyle_Katarn ) must be happy to know this ?

ohh shit ? i didnt know he was a dev at kcsoftwares. sorry :D

Archived