Strange Problem With HDD

Karamjit

dear members, there is a strange problem with my system's HDD.
during system start-up it shows Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key_

once i thought my SATA port may be faulty (but working fine)

*i tried to install windows7 Ultimate(deleting previous partitions), it detected all the drives on my HDD and installation process completed but when system was restarted again it showed Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key_

even Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is showing all drives on my HDD.

Surprisingly, in my system's BIOS, it doesn't detect HDD.

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

check the cables..

check the battery aka the bios battery usually a coin style 2032 battery

check the bios to make sure the hdd is correctly set.. boot device 1 cd/dvd rom.. boot device 2 hdd.

and finally.. if none on that works..

try another windows 7 ultimate dvd.. cause it seems it maybe a bad copy.

8 minutes ago, andy2004 said:

check the cables..

4 minutes ago, teodz1984 said:

Check also hdd mode..

shutting down and checking in BIOS..........

Remove all drives, install the OS, re-add your drives, that way it will only stick your boot config on your primary HD.

change smps and check.

try with other hdd. i mean connect different hdd, install os and check whether same problem persist.

22 hours ago, Karamjit said:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key_

The key to your problem is that the bios does not see the drive.  This means that the electronics on the drive have failed.  The error message you are getting is because the bios does not see the drive.  Time to get a new drive, or if you need to recover data off that drive there is a way.  You need an identical drive that works and just swap the circuit boards on the bottom of the drive.  I have done that dozens of times to recover data when the electronics on the drive fails.

It can be a break in the sata and / or power connector of the PCB. Because it is possible to test well, it would be best to test via a USB-sata cable. It happened to me that my PC did not recognize a hdd but via usb and then the hdd had to give a low format after which the hdd worked again.

https://translate.google.com/?hl=nl

On 6/19/2018 at 4:01 PM, straycat19 said:

The key to your problem is that the bios does not see the drive.  This means that the electronics on the drive have failed.  The error message you are getting is because the bios does not see the drive.  Time to get a new drive, or if you need to recover data off that drive there is a way.  You need an identical drive that works and just swap the circuit boards on the bottom of the drive.  I have done that dozens of times to recover data when the electronics on the drive fails.

This! If your hard drive is not visible in BIOS that means either the hard drive is faulty or its not connected to the motherboard. Try taking out and reconnecting the SATA data and power cables. If nothing works then try and check the same hard drive on some other PC to eliminate any issue with the SATA port and/or your motherboard. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2018 at 7:07 AM, Karamjit said:

dear members, there is a strange problem with my system's HDD.
during system start-up it shows Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key_

once i thought my SATA port may be faulty (but working fine)

*i tried to install windows7 Ultimate(deleting previous partitions), it detected all the drives on my HDD and installation process completed but when system was restarted again it showed Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key_

even Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is showing all drives on my HDD.

Surprisingly, in my system's BIOS, it doesn't detect HDD. 

That depends on the BIOS settings, and some time the BIOS only needs flashed - update or refresh. If the BIOS does not see the HDD and you know the HDD is Good, it is the BIOS - setting.

Archived