[ SOLVED] Internet connection drops every few minutes

Loboron

Good morning my friends- I've searched to no avail to find a solution-

I'm using Windows-7 64-bit, and a Asus Router AC 1900...  It doesn't matter which VPN I use, my connection continues to drop.  When I'm not connected to a VPN my computer shows I'm connected to my internet via the SID I use.  When I'm connected using the VPN, it displays "Network 8" internet access" That number usually changes each time I connect using the VPN. Every few minutes the network connection drops and comes back in a few minutes.

Reading, it says to "Disable" my Firewall. I've disabled all my Firewalls one at a time, Personal firewall, Eset Firewall, and the Router firewall... nothing helps, the connection continues to drop.  Any suggestions or cures would be appreciated. I live in Baja California, Mexico and I use the VPN for searches and connection to IheartRadio each morning for the news.

Thank you,

Ron

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUERY PLEASE  ?

WHY TWO (2) SOFTWARE FIREWALLS ?

WHO IS YOUR INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER ?

ARE YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS HAVING SIMILAR ISSUES ?

COULD SOMEONE BE STEALING YOUR WIRELESS BANDWIDTH ?

THERE WAS A STORY ON THE FORUM RECENTLY ABOUT DETECTING & STOPPING THEFT...

--MORE--

Free check to see if your router has been hacked by criminals

The internet is a crazy place.

Not only do marketers and advertisers follow your every move, there are hackers and scammers lurking in the dark corners, ready to pounce on your personal information.

At least marketers and advertisers want to make money off of you.

The hackers and scammers I'm talking about, on the other hand, just want to flat out steal your money by way of stealing your personal information.

And as much as I don't want to admit it, these hackers are smarter than the average criminal.

They use clever tactics that try to trick you into clicking on something that has the potential to crash your system, spread malware and even steal your personal information.

What the heck is DNS Hijacking?

One of these tricks is known as a "DNS hijack."

Sound complicated?

Yes, it's a little bit tricky.

Let me explain.

A DNS or domain name system is often called the phone book for the internet.

It translates the names of websites, like Google.com, to an IP address, like 74.125.239.2.

The communication between the two is critical in order to correctly direct your web traffic.

What these clever hackers do is insert rogue DNS servers so your traffic is directed to unsafe servers instead of the secure servers your internet service provider gives you.

This means cybercriminals can then redirect you to fake versions of the websites that you're attempting to visit.

For example, if your router's DNS settings have been hijacked, each time you visit your online bank's website, you'll be redirected to a phishing website instead.

Criminals can also use DNS hijacking to modify the ads that you see while browsing.

Instead of the regular ads that you should be getting, they can be replaced with inappropriate or malicious ones.

This opens you up to a whole world where all your personal information is vulnerable and your system's chances of getting infected with malware go up.

How to check your router for hackers and criminals

This helpful tool will make sure your internet connection is safe from outside dangers.

All you have to do is head to the home page and click on "Check your router."

With one click, you will know if your connection is safe or at risk.

If your connection is at risk, the site will give you a full bullet list of things to check and keep an eye out for.

You can also see the details about your service provider's DNS, as well as your own.

Browse below now to test your router using the free F-Secure Router Checker:

https://campaigns.f-secure.com/router-checker/

Why would you want to use this tool?

F-Secure Router Checker has these unique features you'll surely appreciate:

Web-based - F-Secure Router Checker is totally web-based.

This means there's nothing to download!

Just visit its webpage then click the "check your router" button to start testing.

Private - All IP addresses tested by the tool are also anonymized so the information can't be linked to you.

This protects your privacy.

Checks your DNS settings - Most of all, this free tool will check your router's DNS settings for any signs of DNS hijacking.

It's always bad news if your DNS settings are hijacked.

For example, hackers can route your traffic to fake versions of websites so it's important to double check your router for signs of tampering.

Test your firewall to make sure it’s working, too!

Here's another tool you can use to check if your firewall is protecting your computer as it should:

Browse below to learn more about this free firewall checker:

https://www.komando.com/tips/410026/test-your-firewall-to-make-sure-its-working

https://www.komando.com/cool-sites/312613/test-your-router-to-see-if-its-been-hacked-heres-how

43 minutes ago, humble3d said:

QUERY PLEASE  ?

WHY TWO (2) SOFTWARE FIREWALLS ?  They came with the software: Windows, ESET, and the Router

WHO IS YOUR INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER ? TELNOR- Mexico

ARE YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS HAVING SIMILAR ISSUES ? No,  I'm the only one... they don't use VPN's

COULD SOMEONE BE STEALING YOUR WIRELESS BANDWIDTH ? I don't think so, I connect with 5G

I have Cox cable in the US ..1st class..they also supply cable to Mexico..I have Cable Mas -IZZI in Tijuana and from my experience the service sucks..I have had 2 new lines from the pole to the house  ..and 4 new boxs in 2 years ...I believe Telnor is thru the phoneline..DSL.. good luck with that one ...I do not think Mexico will ever be 1st class

Yes, cable here sucks, my neighbors who have it hate it and often change to Telnor. I too have two news lines from the pole to the house. Their both the Fiber Optic lines from Telnor.

Thank you all for the replies.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:30 PM, Loboron said:

Reading, it says to "Disable" my Firewall.

Your system could be infected.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:30 PM, Loboron said:

I've disabled all my Firewalls one at a time, Personal firewall, Eset Firewall, and the Router firewall... nothing helps, the connection continues to drop.  Any suggestions or cures would be appreciated.

Why do you need more than one firewall?

WHY TWO (2) SOFTWARE FIREWALLS ?  They came with the software: Windows, ESET, and the Router

Which ones can I safely disable?

That's because the person who formatted your system was a computer idiot — doesn't mean you have to embrace his ideology.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Loboron said:

Which ones can I safely disable?

Router one is fine with others. You can try disabling the OS one and use the AV's one there.

Solved:

Had to remove the original stock "Tap Driver" and replace it with Tap driver that comes the VPN I have install...  Havn't lost or dropped connection now in two days.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions...

Ron

Archived