Film-maker Polanski arrested in Switzerland

jalaffa

Film-maker Roman Polanski was arrested in Switzerland on a 31-year-old U.S. arrest warrant, the Zurich Film Festival said in a statement on Sunday.

Polanski's arrest on Saturday evening was in connection with an arrest warrant issued by U.S. authorities in 1978 for having unlawful sex with an underage girl, the statement said.

The film-maker had been due to receive the prize for his life's work at the Film Festival on Sunday evening, kick-starting a retrospective of his film career.

"Roman Polanski, one of the greatest film directors of our time, would have received an award for his life's achievement at the Zurich Film Festival," the statement said.

"However, he was detained by the police upon his entry at Zurich Airport. His detention is linked to the demand by U.S.-authorities to a warrant for his arrest in 1978."

"The festival directors have received this news with great consternation and shock," the festival said, adding that the tribute to Polanski would go ahead so that festival-goers could express their solidarity and admiration for the film-maker.

He was arrested in the late 1970s and charged with giving drugs and alcohol to a 13-year-old girl and having unlawful sex with her at a photo session at Jack Nicholson's Hollywood home.

Polanski, who maintained the girl was sexually experienced and had consented, spent 42 days in prison undergoing psychiatric tests but fled the country before being sentenced. His U.S. visa has since been withdrawn.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes. best news of the month yet the year. this dumb azz liberal elilist will finally see justice. when harrison ford went to give him his award in 2002-2003 thats when i added ford to my list of never paying to see his movies ever again too. rot in jail

Hmm. I disagree with you on this. It should have been handled better in the first place.

The "victim", Samantha Geimer, who long ago identified herself publicly, has joined in Polanski's bid for dismissal, saying she wants the case to be over.

Hmm. I disagree with you on this. It should have been handled better in the first place.

The "victim", Samantha Geimer, who long ago identified herself publicly, has joined in Polanski's bid for dismissal, saying she wants the case to be over.

does not matter if she settled years ago with this ped. he was still found guilty. he is a scumbag that preys on little girls. that girl in 78 most likely wasnt his first and wasnt his last.

Good thing that you will not be the judge...

he was already judge in a court of law. now he will finally serve his time behiind bars for the rest of his elists life. and as far as im concern harrison ford should be charged and arrested when he came back in 2002/2003 from going to france to give the criminal his award for that crappy movie he made. aidng a fugitive of the law. then maybe harrison ford wouldnt had his mid life criss and cheat on his wife that lead to a divorce.

Good thing that you will not be the judge...

he was already judge in a court of law. now he will finally serve his time behiind bars for the rest of his elists life. and as far as im concern harrison ford should be charged and arrested when he came back in 2002/2003 from going to france to give the criminal his award for that crappy movie he made. aidng a fugitive of the law. then maybe harrison ford wouldnt had his mid life criss and cheat on his wife that lead to a divorce.

I agree totally..he was in court, found guilty, skipped the country.He WAS a pedophile he is one now he sodomized a 13 year old girl and has always taken the attitude that because of who he is it is ok for him to do this stuff.It does not matter it happened 30 years ago and he has Hollywood stars as friends and is a great director that he can do as he wishes....and by the way, this is only the tip of the iceberg as we all know a pedophile will never stop doing what he does to children. Yes children not consenting adults, children 12 years or younger.If you think this man is ok then go let the child molester that lived down the street from babysit your kids or your kid sister or brother. What's that you don't think you have a child molester living that close, go ask your police dept. They will show you a map of all the REGISTERED child sex offenders just in a 3 mile radius of your home. You will wonder why there are so many of them and how this could be, and remember, this will only be the registered ones.

another look at it when they say its 30 years ago it that we went after kkk for certain crimes 50 years ago even when they where found not guilty the first time. what about nazi war criminals? can you image if hilter didnt die and they found him in the 80'-90's? bad enough the most he would get from germany would be 15 years.

i had not know it was in jack nicholson house when it happen. suppose the ped was just using the place to film models and jack nicholson wasnt there when it happen. thats another actor i never pay to see his movies either.

This is a farce.

So, if anyone that is in jail for any crime for any amount of time should just be let out because it is old news and old crimes and that the crime took place so long ago that no one cares any more and the people who were sent to jail should just be allowed to go free...no harh no foul after so many years...or is this for only the rich and famous...his is a great defense next time you in court try it...just ell the jury that in 30 years no one will care as it will be old so just let me go now :dance2:

Archived