AV-Comparatives Performance Test - April 2018

tao

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AlienForce1

Try Kaspersky and you will realise that it`s faster than Eset (at least for me , and the same are the test results from av-test.org)

Try Linux   and forget about the bloody security software clogging  the pipes up and slowing you down . :rofl:

This test was run on a low end Intel  PC with 4GB of ram and Windows 10 RS3...Windows 10 it's self  would bog it down and someone running a mid range AMD PC with 4 GB of Ram would see a world of difference.

Windows Problems  :lmao:

test.png

On Linux, Kodi  ,Gimp , LibreOffice and the software list goes on and on  runs much faster than the software does on Windows on a Low end PC . Go out and buy you 16 GB of ram to run software half as fast as Linux with 4 GB of Ram, :dribble:

Rico69Suave
15 hours ago, steven36 said:

Try Linux   and forget about the bloody security software clogging  the pipes up and slowing you down . :rofl:

This test was run on a low end Intel  PC with 4GB of ram and Windows 10 RS3...Windows 10 it's self  would bog it down and someone running a mid range AMD PC with 4 GB of Ram would see a world of difference.

Windows Problems  :lmao:

test.png

On Linux, Kodi  ,Gimp , LibreOffice and the software list goes on and on  runs much faster than the software does on Windows on a Low end PC . Go out and buy you 16 GB of ram to run software half as fast as Linux with 4 GB of Ram, :dribble:

What Linux version do you reccomend for someone who only used Windows for a more than a decade, has 0 commands knowledge and play games a lot (League of Legends, GoG, Steam games...) with a gts 250? Id love to know it.

stylemessiah

meh, been using Avast Free for eons, doesnt require cracking every x days/weeks and hasnt let me down yet...

• Administrator
7 hours ago, stylemessiah said:

meh, been using Avast Free for eons, doesnt require cracking every x days/weeks and hasnt let me down yet...

Guess which AV is missing from this list.

I'm not sure why they did not take part in it.

straycat19
8 hours ago, Rico69Suave said:

What Linux version do you reccomend for someone who only used Windows for a more than a decade, has 0 commands knowledge and play games a lot (League of Legends, GoG, Steam games...) with a gts 250? Id love to know it.

Ubuntu is pretty easy to use but for games I keep windows computers and they are games only, no other software on them.  Most of the mainstream linux distros are as good as windows in picking up hardware drivers and you can always check with the hardware manufacturer to see if they have linux drivers for download.  There are a lot of help pages on Ubuntu's site and people here who are willing to help you.  Others might suggest other distros but I have had a good experience with new LInux users and Ubuntu.  The key to learning is to not have an option to use windows, so set it up as the only operating system on a computer and then force yourself to use it.

8 hours ago, stylemessiah said:

I haven't used an AV in say 10 years or maybe more.  No software to install, updates to download, no malware, no hacked systems, no worries.  

48 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

I haven't used an AV in say 10 years or maybe more.  No software to install, updates to download, no malware, no hacked systems, no worries

What a bored time. Software without problems to fight. :cheers:

convinced to have as a priority to defend $ m.

The best tests are those of one with the installation.
Without leaving aside the exclusions or that the antivirus allows to pass. :lol:

16 hours ago, Rico69Suave said:

Linux Mint 18.3 I advise. Easy and fast.

19 hours ago, Rico69Suave said:

Start out using something simple like one of the Ubuntu  ones like Viktor is talking about i started out using Linux Mint witch is based on Ubuntu after i got use to using Linux i done Manjaro  witch is a great distro if you like bleeding  edge software . But for Like the past year i only  use Ubuntu Budgie and  Linux Mint 18 MATE

because these are very stable and Ubuntu  has more software than any other  brand of Linux . they have software center , PPA , DEB installers , Ubuntu Snap and Flatpak with Manjaro if it was not in the software center i had to install it  from Arch (yaourt -S ) .

I used  windows for like 13 years before i started using Linux , If you do games i recommend  to dual boot with windows  unless you have a lot of money to invest . My friend plays games and boots in windows to play them and stays in Linux the rest of the time. I dont play Windows games .I game on PS4  but still i have Windows 8.1 for testing and things .

Most of the Linux  gamers hang out over at Phoronix  they are into buying bleeding edge hardware and into buying games but you can find  cracked Linux games as well.

Rise.of.the.Tomb.Raider.Linux-ACTiVATED is out . ACTiVATED does most of the Steam Games  for Linux  also they other groups doing games from other companies . It like Windows most games on Linux are cracked by the scene . :P

Rico69Suave
5 hours ago, steven36 said:

Start out using something simple like one of the Ubuntu  ones like Viktor is talking about i started out using Linux Mint witch is based on Ubuntu after i got use to using Linux i done Manjaro  witch is a great distro if you like bleeding  edge software . But for Like the past year i only  use Ubuntu Budgie and  Linux Mint 18 MATE

because these are very stable and Ubuntu  has more software than any other  brand of Linux . they have software center , PPA , DEB installers , Ubuntu Snap and Flatpak with Manjaro if it was not in the software center i had to install it  from Arch (yaourt -S ) .

I used  windows for like 13 years before i started using Linux , If you do games i recommend  to dual boot with windows  unless you have a lot of money to invest . My friend plays games and boots in windows to play them and stays in Linux the rest of the time. I dont play Windows games .I game on PS4  but still i have Windows 8.1 for testing and things .

Most of the Linux  gamers hang out over at Phoronix  they are into buying bleeding edge hardware and into buying games but you can find  cracked Linux games as well.

Rise.of.the.Tomb.Raider.Linux-ACTiVATED is out . ACTiVATED does most of the Steam Games  for Linux  also they other groups doing games from other companies . It like Windows most games on Linux are cracked by the scene . :P

I really enjoyed reading you, it helped me a lot. Thank you :D

On 5/10/2018 at 1:48 AM, steven36 said:

This test was run on a low end Intel  PC with 4GB of ram and Windows 10 RS3...Windows 10 it's self  would bog it down and someone running a mid range AMD PC with 4 GB of Ram would see a world of difference. and the rest...[]

steven36, do you remember the apple thing ? =)) "bla bla blac macOSX is safe, bang... malware appeared ! I laugh when i think ! And yes you are right about Linux, but the reality is, they still have security issues. Less than windowsOS but still.

I still hope for a real windows alternative, but if you give me world of tanks, heroes of the storm, overwatch and few other games working natively on linux, i'll dump windows in 000000000.1 nano seconds ! Talking about api, vulkan is not yet mature and very well implemented in gpu's so far. I hope AMD will do the thing. Till then i can't do too much s**t !

4 hours ago, drunk said:

steven36, do you remember the apple thing ? =)) "bla bla blac macOSX is safe, bang... malware appeared ! I laugh when i think ! And yes you are right about Linux, but the reality is, they still have security issues. Less than windowsOS but still.

I still hope for a real windows alternative, but if you give me world of tanks, heroes of the storm, overwatch and few other games working natively on linux, i'll dump windows in 000000000.1 nano seconds ! Talking about api, vulkan is not yet mature and very well implemented in gpu's so far. I hope AMD will do the thing. Till then i can't do too much s**t !

Anything that connects to the internet could have security issues if you do stupid things ,  Mac OS still  has way less  security issues than Windows and a lot of the security issues  on Mac OS is caused by Microsoft  because they ported Office over to Mac  and I  never use Mac OS or am I fan of  it,   just it's the truth . The last time I got infected on Windows was like 2008 only i run one antivirus and some firewall software  and I never installed anything based on these test. The reason i use Linux has nothing to do with security issues  it  has to do with i started using it once Windows 10 came out for stability . I gave Windows 10 a chance  it's not for me Windows as a service , upgrading my OS every 6 months  and beta testing for a multi-billion dollar company for businesses for free  .

I got a windows PC beside me with Windows 7 on it that i upgraded from Vista in 2010 and i never had to reformat it ever. I dont ever use it anymore, i use to use it to encode videos on and burn DVDs but I  don't have to do this no more, i just download it already encoded or  stream it. This was when M$ made good software  and when 2020 comes i will turn it into a Linux box . I already have a Gateway that came with Widows 8 i turned it into a Linux only box . Only my Dell Mini Tower do I dual boot windows 8.1 with Linux also i got a few Laptops I never use that i let others in my family use with Windows 7 on them but if you want to use Windows that's fine with me, I still do at times  just I don't see me using it after 2023 unless I'm using it for something disconnected from the internet . The only thing Windows has going for is games really and when vulkan gets mature  enough they want have that anymore . Witch I game on PS4 so i could care less about windows games.  I've always gamed on console since the 80s when i wasted all my money in the Arcades  .:tooth:

If you have a problem with dual booting like i do and want just to use Linux  and have good hardware you can set up a Windows KVM with a GPU passthrough like this and play all you're Windows games like you were on windows yielding a 96% performance return in comparison to native play..

http://linuxlookup.com/windows_gaming_qemukvm_ubuntu_linux_amd_radeon_r9_280

I dont even use Wine in Linux anymore,  because i learned  how to not need windows if i want to use Windows for something  i just boot into it and I only use Windows because i can and i have lots of legit keys for it more than i even use anymore i can only use1 PC at a time. :P

I tried / tested many Linux distros, Macbuntu, Linux Mint Cinnamon is my favorite.

https://elementary.io/en/   is also interesting. 

Win 10 is fun, Kaspersky & Eset Fan

Archived