Installation Question

I Am Negan

I added a partition and was wondering, can i install a program there? Will it be able to install stuff to app data and program Data directory’s?

• Replies 10
  • Views 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, main program files like executable and others can be installed in any directory, the data will go to programdata or roaming in the local disk.

Thanks wasn’t sure if that would mess things up if I installed it there.

30 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Not all apps. & programs allow installation to a partition different from the System volume. :)

How do you know which ones don’t like to be installed to a partition?

Those apps. & programs won't allow it — you would not be offered the option to change the directory of the Program Files.

There's also a valid reason why it's counter-productive to install apps. & program on a non-System partition (many folks will come forward to testify that it works without an issue, for them — but, the experienced ones will tell you otherwise.) ;)

There is no advantage unless the programs are self contained or portable if they are not if you format system partition you still need to reinstall the software from scratch because some needed files were on system partition.

• Administrator

I feel this is counter productive on the HDD. Reason is, unlike SSDs, in HDD, the contents of the first partition are stored in the outer most and the fastest part of the HDD. That means, if you keep your installed files in the first partition, it will read faster than installing them in another drive. Another thing is, for example, some softwares requires additional OS related files to run, so when you run a software from second drive, it has to read files from the second partition and then the first partition to run the software.

The reason I'm saying all this is that I myself preferred installing softwares in another partitions, but then I found softwares slowing due to that. Having said, all this might be a minor difference and not necessarily be an requirement for others.

All this does not matter if you are doing all this on SSD though.

After Reading all this, I think I’ll keep my installed programs in the local drive(C)

You can install most apps in other partitions and the ones you can't install , you will  need a second try to install in C .

some vpn's and some editingtools and other apps .

The path is longer but that is no problem for the speed or performance in a noticeable way ( there must be an exception that's how it is . just like you can't move some files to an other partition or directorie sometimes .)

Placing things in another partition is to be done with files you don't want to loose but keeping them close by .

and it is for keeping the c drive as fast as possible . it will be full of background tasks and register keys/clutter/fragments and just slowed but not so slow as when you install nothing on another partition , but only if you have enough free space .

people who do not install and create and store a lot don't need to do it ,
and the installed apps must be installed again anyway when the os gets a virus/corruption .

some people can better do some cloning or backups and others make some partitios instead of an external drive .

one is more advanced than the other and the other has other needs but it is all good at its time .

Some windows releases have a second empty partition and that's not for nothing.
it is for storing backups and handy for music and movie lovers and gamers but it should be done on another drive/sata connection . that's better .

it is handy if you have only space for one ssd .

the bigger the drive is in relation to the content , the faster it is .

and some software needs another wipe before installing and others need another clustersize , and some tasks need other drive specs .

In short : The C dive allone is good .but if you need to install and move and create a lot , then more drives are faster and clearer than one big drive  . only a raid is less secure when health failure happens ..
And you have to choose what you need or don't have to do .

Most peoples biggest worry is losing the os an all their stuff . they must separate it .

Installing a new windows is easier than learning how to backup and recover without corruption and less work .

• Administrator

One more thing. There is nothing wrong in using the non-OS partitions to store files such as media, archives and other such things.

Archived